Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Fung Style Fasting Chat ~ JULY 2017

All are welcome here - if you are new to intermittent fasting, simply curious with questions, an old hand at it, or somewhere in between, jump right in!

Some thought-provoking quotes from Dr. Fung:

“Fasting: Improves mental clarity and concentration Induces weight and body fat loss”
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended

“Some of the more common myths include: Fasting puts you in “starvation mode” Fasting makes you burn muscle Fasting causes low blood sugar Fasting results in overeating Fasting deprives the body of nutrients “It’s just crazy”
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended

“Lowers blood sugar levels Improves insulin sensitivity Increases energy Improves fat-burning Lowers blood cholesterol Prevents Alzheimer’s disease Extends life Reverses aging process Decreases inflammation”

“A recent study suggests that 75 per cent of the weight-loss response in obesity is predicted by insulin levels. Not willpower. Not caloric intake. Not peer support or peer pressure. Not exercise. Just insulin.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

“Once we understand that obesity is a hormonal imbalance, we can begin to treat it. If we believe that excess calories cause obesity, then the treatment is to reduce calories. But this method has been a complete failure. However, if too much insulin causes obesity, then it becomes clear we need to lower insulin levels.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

“The government is subsidizing, with our own tax dollars, the very foods that are making us obese. Obesity is effectively the result of government policy.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thanks Deb. Subbing.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Thanks for the new thread Deb. So you all know, July is the month of our nations' (US and Canada) and *my* birth, so is worthy of continous celebration. So,

I am plugging along. I keep thinking I am not really following any plan, but I skip breakfast at least 6 days out of 7 and have a 16 hour fast. No big losses, but no gains either- unless I break that pattern, like I did while staying with my folks. I gained 7 lbs in a few days, then drifted back down once I arrived home and got back to my usual schedule.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Holy moly...July already! Just returned from vacation, managed to stay pretty much LC. But did eat two meals each day, hardly any snacking though.

New month, new beginning. I'm really going to focus on getting more weight off. Fasting all day and will have some salmon this evening, then a square of Lindt.

Thanks for the new thread, Deb. Let's make July a wonderful successful month!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Thanks for the new thread Deb. So you all know, July is the month of our nations' (US and Canada) and *my* birth, so is worthy of continous celebration. So,

I am plugging along. I keep thinking I am not really following any plan, but I skip breakfast at least 6 days out of 7 and have a 16 hour fast. No big losses, but no gains either- unless I break that pattern, like I did while staying with my folks. I gained 7 lbs in a few days, then drifted back down once I arrived home and got back to my usual schedule.
My birth month too!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My birth month too!
Even better!

I'm the 29th. How about you?
Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I have been doing some accidental 20 hour fasts, simply because I'm not hungry for breakfast or lunch or too busy to think about it. Couple days a week. It's not causing a downward movement of the scale, but getting my body accustomed to not having food all the time.

Happy Birthday to Canada, USA, and Gina and Cathy!

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
I spent some time today catching up on Dr. Fung's blog posts. Interesting one on fasting and one on the toxic effects of insulin on Type 2 diabetics. Good information whether it's a review or new info to someone.

Reading both together made me want to fast even harder. lol
susan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #9
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Thanks, Deb.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #10
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 180/177/140
WOE: Alternate Day Fasting with Fung
Start Date: June 22, 2017
A Happy 4th to everyone!

Well I'm still working on it. I've done a 24, 26, 30 and 32 hour fast this 1st week only to find out, I better stop pigging out in between. I'm running in place

Lesson learned, and I need to stop night eating. So right now I'm on a down day and just trying to get into a hard core ketosis and get that scale to move!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #11
Bada_bing
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bada_bing
Stats: 168.2/155.2/140
WOE: LC and JUDD, IF
Start Date: Restart June 23/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
A Happy 4th to everyone!

Well I'm still working on it. I've done a 24, 26, 30 and 32 hour fast this 1st week only to find out, I better stop pigging out in between. I'm running in place

Lesson learned, and I need to stop night eating. So right now I'm on a down day and just trying to get into a hard core ketosis and get that scale to move!
HAPPY 4th to my American neighbours and friends!

yes, our bodies just always try to sabatoge us don't they? I have been doing a 23/1....in other words eating only dinner each day. Last night, I had a small amount of almonds and choc. chips and guess what...I GAINED! Anyhow, not going to stress about it cause it seems that I stay the same for a day and then boom....next day I am down again. Slowly, slowly even on 1 LF meal a day (oh, forgot that i have BCP coffee in the morning), I am losing weight and that is better than what I was doing before

Let's keep up the good work!

Donna
Bada_bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My birthday month, too. I'll be 41 on the 12th.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #13
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I do Intermittent Fasting/low carb and I could use your help if you have a spare minute. Tony and I have been doing Intermittent Fasting/low carb staying around 20 carbs per day and low in calories (under 1200 for me; around 1600 for him). We have lost some weight but not quickly probably because we are both in our fifties.

Yesterday, Tony struck up a conversation with a nutritionist from Tufts University who told us we were eating all wrong for weight loss. He insisted that 5-6 small meals per day is key and to only have a very light meal at night before bed.

Now we've been doing the opposite. I fast all day and then eat a normal dinner but might have a little extra protein (chicken breast or turkey burger) if I am still hungry. Our eating is super clean (lean protein, organic vegetables, healthy fats like olive oil, salad). I feel great during the day and have super human energy and focus at work which I love! I am losing but just slowly but still I feel better on this plan.

Are there any data points I can show Tony that says IF is safe and it works? Now he is skeptical after talking to the nutritionist and I feel awful. Maybe we just do two separate plans and learn to live with that?

Many thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #14
clackley
Chatty Cathy

G.G., I would suggest that you go to the IDM/Jason Fung web site and do some reading. The nutritionist was relaying the conventional wisdom of weight loss but sadly, it is all wrong. If you want to keep your insulin levels up all the time, then do what that person says. But remember that insulin blocks fat burning.

I think your approach has a couple of problems.

Number one, is the lack of fat. Animal fats are healthy. You should choose fatty proteins - eat the chicken skin - choose legs over breasts. Add butter.

Number two, it will backfire to eat low calorie. Your body will adjust and stop losing. Eating the same way (OMAD), does the same thing.

We are butter together!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #15
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Hi Everyone,
I do Intermittent Fasting/low carb and I could use your help if you have a spare minute. Tony and I have been doing Intermittent Fasting/low carb staying around 20 carbs per day and low in calories (under 1200 for me; around 1600 for him). We have lost some weight but not quickly probably because we are both in our fifties.

Yesterday, Tony struck up a conversation with a nutritionist from Tufts University who told us we were eating all wrong for weight loss. He insisted that 5-6 small meals per day is key and to only have a very light meal at night before bed.

Now we've been doing the opposite. I fast all day and then eat a normal dinner but might have a little extra protein (chicken breast or turkey burger) if I am still hungry. Our eating is super clean (lean protein, organic vegetables, healthy fats like olive oil, salad). I feel great during the day and have super human energy and focus at work which I love! I am losing but just slowly but still I feel better on this plan.

Are there any data points I can show Tony that says IF is safe and it works? Now he is skeptical after talking to the nutritionist and I feel awful. Maybe we just do two separate plans and learn to live with that?

Many thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
If you feel great and are losing (even slowly) then I say stick with it. My DW does not follow any type of eating plan, but that doesn't stop me from following mine. I don't agree with the 5-6 small meals a day plan. For me that would not make me feel my best, but we are all different and I think there are many ways to lose weight and each person needs to find out what works for them.

I think there is "data" to back up almost every WOE out there. How accurate that "data" is, well, I'm not sure and we are all very different when it comes down to what works and what is sustainable.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #16
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Gail, definitely check out Jason Fung's blog for lots of info. What the nutritionist suggested is standard advice but it had nothing to do with good science or with fat loss - or good health.

- I used to think fasting was very unhealthy. Dr. Fung was able to convince me that it is quite the opposite with his articles and videos. He backs everything up with science that cannot be ignored. Give the nutritionist Dr. Fung's site and tell him to read for a few weeks, then talk to him again. Tell him to read Dr Fung's book, The Obesity Code.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 07-07-2017 at 06:54 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #17
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Cathy, Carly and Deb,
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was really upset about this last night and tried not to show it to Tony. I really like IF and it makes my body feel so much better so I don't want to stop. And, yes, I need to read Dr. Fung's blog and book to get better educated. I'm not looking for an argument but I want to back up by plan with some hard facts when someone tries to challenge me -- if you know what I mean.

I really, really appreciate the sage advice from all three of you and hope you all have a great weekend.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Happy B-lated Birthday Carly,

and how are you doin now Bada Bing?

I'm on day two of a hopefully 5 day fast. I believe this will help me with an overall reset to get back on track with the ADF.

Hi GG! nice to see you popping in here! the proof could just be in the pudding for showing this guy fasting works
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #19
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post

Gail, here is my take on the information given by the nutritionist. Diet Induced Thermogenesis/Post Prandial Thermogenesis. Remember when we were told to eat breakfast upon rising as it will jump-start metabolism? Studies show that when you eat, your metabolism increases, so it is believed that eating 5-6 small meals keeps your metabolism higher throughout the day. I believe this is where the nutritionist is getting his information. And it could very well be true. But I just read an article explaining that the thermogenesis lasts longer that previously thought. I am not sure I am allowed to post a link to that article.

However, we now know that every time you eat your body releases insulin, and insulin is the fat storage gene.....so we want to keep insulin low, and fasting does just that!

Eating one meal a day would be a disaster for an insulin dependent diabetic, and a type 2 who is taking glucose lowering meds has to check blood sugar often and be very careful. But I think if you do not have any medical conditions that require eating more frequently, there is no reason for you not to do OMAD if you feel better and are losing.

The fact that you are including extra protein in your meal is good, as the article said that thermogenesis is increased even more with higher protein intake. I think you've got this.....now to convince Tony.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrstmitch
Stats: 260/247/150
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: July, 2017
Rookie Faster

Hello, Friends!
It's been a long while since I've posted on this site, and thought I'd do a search for IF. SO glad you're all here!

I've struggled for years with trying to stick with a WOE-- not the WOE's fault, just mine. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about a month ago-- my numbers aren't high enough to be taking Metformin or insulin yet, but I was "scared straight" and promised my doctor that I would get my A1C down to a normal level on my own, and she agreed.

I read Dr. Fung's book, and have done some extensive research about the concept of IF, and am convinced it is totally the right thing to do--especially with the results I'm getting in a short time.
I joined a gym, and made it my goal to workout 30 minutes after work every day. So far, I've been successful doing that, and I'm gradually getting in better shape. I've been IF-ing, eating 2 or 1 meal a day for a few weeks, and felt I needed to step it up a bit. So, I've been eating every-other-day for a week so far, and I feel fabulous!

I am looking forward to meeting you, and learning about your journeys as well!

This is me... not giving up!
mrstmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #21
Bada_bing
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bada_bing
Stats: 168.2/155.2/140
WOE: LC and JUDD, IF
Start Date: Restart June 23/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
Happy B-lated Birthday Carly,

and how are you doin now Bada Bing?

I'm on day two of a hopefully 5 day fast. I believe this will help me with an overall reset to get back on track with the ADF.

Hi GG! nice to see you popping in here! the proof could just be in the pudding for showing this guy fasting works
Hey there gang and It's time. All is going well with this WOE. Down 7 lbs in less than a month which is excellent for me! I have been doing mostly OMAD fasts although I had a couple days of hunger a little earlier and grazed into my meal. This weekend was a gettogether with a GF and there was no OMAD however, I definitely tried to control myself and it resulted in no gain/no loss..all good! Back to weekdays and my OMAD and I am back to losing. I know from JUDDD or ADF that sometimes having a day of high calories fools the body and then you get some good results after. All in all, I am pleased with the loss and will keep at this until I get the results I want so badly. Snowbirding in the winter is wonderful, however, I lost control over the last few years and hence I ended up higher on the scale than when I was pregnant many, many moons ago.

How is your 5 day fast going? At this point, I don't know if I could do it as I sometimes daydream about food in my 23 hours as it is.

Welcome Mstmitch, if I can do this, you can too! My Dr. said my numbers were fine last appt (about 10 months ago) however, age and laziness always plays a part in weight gain and I needed to gain control NOW...besides the health advantages of this WOE. I want to live to a ripe old age and watch my grands become wonderful adults and parents.

Happy belated Birthday Carly...great to see you still hanging around the boards!

Donna
Bada_bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #22
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I know we're not all from the US here, but I heard some more statistics on the radio this morning. When you take out deaths from automobile accidents and murders, the US has the longest life expectancy compared to other countries.

However, in the US, the highest rate of hospitalizations are from obesity related diseases, compared to other countries.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #23
Carly

Just popping by quickly! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #24
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I know we're not all from the US here, but I heard some more statistics on the radio this morning. When you take out deaths from automobile accidents and murders, the US has the longest life expectancy compared to other countries.

However, in the US, the highest rate of hospitalizations are from obesity related diseases, compared to other countries.
I believe it, but sadly those end years aren't good for a lot of people. We are keeping people alive, but not healthy.

I was on vacation last week and did pretty well with IF. I had plenty of food and drinks, but not until after 3:00 most days. The morning we were getting ready to come home I was mentally patting myself on the back, thinking I would come home without a gain, then I noticed I had forgotten my thyroid medication two days in a row.

Now, a day without my thyroid meds is good for a 2 lb gain, so I figured two days would be 4 lbs. I got home and got on the scale the next morning- exactly a 4 lb gain. I hate to be right sometimes. The good news is, as of this morning 3.5 of the lbs are gone.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #25
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada_bing View Post

Welcome Mstmitch, if I can do this, you can too! My Dr. said my numbers were fine last appt (about 10 months ago) however, age and laziness always plays a part in weight gain and I needed to gain control NOW...besides the health advantages of this WOE. I want to live to a ripe old age and watch my grands become wonderful adults and parents.
Thanks for the welcome! I know what you mean about wanting to see your grandkids grow up! It doesn't help to be just "alive", too... I want to be able to interact with them and be a fun gramma!

Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #26
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

I was on vacation last week and did pretty well with IF. I had plenty of food and drinks, but not until after 3:00 most days. The morning we were getting ready to come home I was mentally patting myself on the back, thinking I would come home without a gain, then I noticed I had forgotten my thyroid medication two days in a row.

Now, a day without my thyroid meds is good for a 2 lb gain, so I figured two days would be 4 lbs. I got home and got on the scale the next morning- exactly a 4 lb gain. I hate to be right sometimes. The good news is, as of this morning 3.5 of the lbs are gone.

You must have been having a really good time to forget your meds! Good to see you back, Gina!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #27
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
You must have been having a really good time to forget your meds! Good to see you back, Gina!
I know! and thanks.

We did have a good time, but I should have kept more to my regular routine of keeping my meds by the bed and taking them as soon as I got up, instead of keeping them in my bathroom kit. I'm not used to taking them when I brush my teeth, etc. I am a creature of habit and routine.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #28
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Well just great Bada Bing,,,,or should I say Bada Bing,,,Bada Boom to you

I made it 48 hours on my attempt at the 5 day fast, so that tells me to aim high and reach my goal. I wasn't able to reach 48 before so by failing at reaching 5 days I made it to 48. So a win/lose. And so far 6 pound for me. So happy also.

My first week was a total canceling out of my fasting effort with my feasting. So I'm now gonna just eat what I will be allowed once I reach my goal of 140. I found out that is 1950 to 2150 which is so nice...I can do this on my non-fasting days easy breezy

Hi to all and thanks to Diamond Deb on the info about the MSG.....I would have Kept eating it, but now I know it spikes insulin, which we don't measure with the BS test strips. That makes some sense to me why so many folks eat oriental food and just get hungry so soon after eating!

Last edited by It'stime; 07-19-2017 at 02:16 PM..
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #29
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstmitch View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I know what you mean about wanting to see your grandkids grow up! It doesn't help to be just "alive", too... I want to be able to interact with them and be a fun gramma!
Me too! and Welcome Aboard!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Hi, It's Time, and thanks for the welcome!

Congrats on your making it to 48 hours! I'm currently doing the 36-hour fasts, eating every-other-day, and I'd like to do a longer fast, but I'm like Bada Bing, I daydream and count the hours before I can eat on my non-fasting days... Plus, I've been doing rigorous cardio workouts for about 5 days a week, and I feel like my body is needing the nutrition...

I do really want to make it a goal to do a 3 to 5 day fast, though. I think I'm going to follow Dr. Fung's recommendation, and do the 36-hour fasts for a month to get acclimated to it. Then I will set my sights on a longer fast.

Hope everyone is well today!!

Last edited by mrstmitch; 07-20-2017 at 02:00 PM..