Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #121
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Have a great day with your mother Bluebelle.

On the theatre front, last night we saw the RSC's The Tempest. A good rendition of one of my least favourite of Shakespeare's plays. I ate crisps.... We are seeing a Welsh singer in Caberet tonight, and tomorrow we are at the National Theatre for the day seeing both parts of Angels in America. We've booked for a meal in between plays, a nine hour marathon! Monday we are travelling to Chichester to see Fiddler on the Roof, which I love, as I was in it years ago.

Tell us more - we have a movie star here!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #122
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 69
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Ha, ha, no such luck Leona. Simply an amateur production, pretty good amateurs, but still amateurs.

Bluebelle having had Vicky with me for 7 weeks I understand how much fun and silliness you will have enjoyed with your mother.

Carly I really hope you have wonderful day with your mother and sister too. I didn't realise she lived in NY, you rarely mention her although I love the photos you sometime share from your childhood. My sister lives a few hours drive away and we try to see each other every 4 or 5 months but it isn't always possible. She is 6 years older than me and not in the best of health. Wish we lived nearer.

Waving to all.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #123
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/123.2/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Carly I really hope you have wonderful day with your mother and sister too. I didn't realise she lived in NY, you rarely mention her although I love the photos you sometime share from your childhood. My sister lives a few hours drive away and we try to see each other every 4 or 5 months but it isn't always possible. She is 6 years older than me and not in the best of health. Wish we lived nearer.

Waving to all.
My sister does live here. We could be closer. I know a big part of it is me. I want to change that, but it's not so easy...

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #124
CherylB
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Stats: 250/228/150
Start Date: 7/12/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
Slow The ice cream cake was lovely, it was 98% ice cream with some M&M candies. When I come back up we need to go to that ice cream shop in Covent Garden!

Carly Nothing like productive workdays! Mine have mostly gone that way for the last couple of weeks.

Evie congrats on your first grandbaby! How wonderful!

Cheryl wishing you luck! You're an intrepid soul.

Librarygirl congrats on the loss! WTG!

Kissa catching up on theatre sounds lovely! Tell us which shows you're going to see.

I got through my 3rd DD fine yesterday. I think I may be back in that wonderful JUDDD mindset (how I was back in Mar/Apr/May) where you're just putting your head down, doing it and not thinking too much about it -- which, for me, is when it is really sustainable and the losses happen.

I made beef brisket stew in my new slow-cooker, with carrots and potatoes (it turned out great) and had 3/4 cup of that, and 3/4 cup of rice for dinner on my DD yesterday...I fasted all day before that. Beef brisket stew leftovers for days is a GOOD thing, guys!

Today (UD) is my belated Mother's Day celebration with my own mom. We are going out for lunch and shopping, there will be wine involved. Should be a fun afternoon.
I had to look up what you said I was, just to get the full meaning:

adjective fearless, brave, daring, bold, heroic, game (informal), have-a-go (informal), courageous, stalwart, resolute, gallant, audacious, valiant, plucky, doughty, undaunted, unafraid, unflinching, nerveless, dauntless, lion-hearted, valorous, stouthearted an intrepid space traveller.

I'll accept that, and try to live up to it! Racing through again. All is still well but batteries sure drain fast without electricity. Someday I hope to tell you all what's been happening. In the mean time, I'm trying to keep up with the posts.

Was tempted to feed my emotions today but as of now, it's still a DD. "I can eat tomorrow. I can eat tomorrow."
is all you really need.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #125
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
Small victory today -- it was the first time I've gone to a restaurant on a DD, ate AND stayed under 500kcals. After fasting all day, I was planning to pick up a rotisserie chicken for dinner and make a salad on the side -- but DH wanted to go out. We went to our local "upscale" strip mall bar and I ordered a small chorizo appetizer with 3 corn tortillas and cabbage slaw, and a diet Coke. It was tasty and guilt-free! Just perfect. I didn't feel tempted to grab bites off of DH's and DS's plates either (they ordered regular-sized stuff).

Feeling good because I've done 4 DDs this week after months of not getting my act together. This is a big deal for me.

Tomorrow my mom is babysitting DS in the afternoon so DH and I get couple time. He's been pretty moody and defensive today *sigh* hoping he is in a better mood tomorrow.

Last edited by Bluebelle; 08-18-2017 at 06:50 PM..
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:52 AM   #126
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/110/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
On the theatre front, last night we saw the RSC's The Tempest. A good rendition of one of my least favourite of Shakespeare's plays. I ate crisps.... We are seeing a Welsh singer in Caberet tonight, and tomorrow we are at the National Theatre for the day seeing both parts of Angels in America. We've booked for a meal in between plays, a nine hour marathon! Monday we are travelling to Chichester to see Fiddler on the Roof, which I love, as I was in it years ago.
That sounds fabulous! I'm in some awe of your stamina for so many events.

What was your character in Fiddler on the Roof? And, do you still have programme photographs or similar?

lmk what you think of Angels in America as we're havering about the best way to see that (marathon like you or separately).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:11 AM   #127
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Small victory today -- it was the first time I've gone to a restaurant on a DD, ate AND stayed under 500kcals. ...

Feeling good because I've done 4 DDs this week after months of not getting my act together. This is a big deal for me.

Tomorrow my mom is babysitting DS in the afternoon so DH and I get couple time. He's been pretty moody and defensive today *sigh* hoping he is in a better mood tomorrow.
That's a small but significant victory and well done for the DDs despite the life stress.

I'm stating the obvious here as it's a strategic error that so many of us make in the belief that it's the right way to respond but I know that you know that your love and empathy for your DH can not allow your family's happiness, security, and wellbeing to be contingent on his mood. I'm sure that if your DH were his own best self at the moment, he'd agree tho' it's so hard to realise this when we're in a morass of frustration and even despair.

My best wishes for a wholeheartedly enjoyable couple's time.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #128
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Later in the same day, I'm having a small smile as I'm not being my own, best, on-mission self My left shoulder is repeatedly subluxing and then reseating itself (and this can happen when I'm sitting down and doing nothing more taxing then breathing) - I'm fortunate it doesn't dislocate and it does reseat well but it is intrusive and very distracting and it means that my plans for today have gone badly awry.

I'm trying not to over-tense the area and make it worse while being aware that if it's too relaxed it can also lead to comparatively easy subluxation.

I would like to eat ice-cream or some yoghurt and granola. Because we all know that food is the best possible solution to such a mechanical problem
Old 08-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #129
CherylB
Big Yapper!

WTG, Bluebelle! Those are the tough hurdles for me. That's why I do well most of the time, cause I'm single.

Slow, how awful about your shoulder. Have you had surgery on it? How about a sling for those times when it subluxates so easily?

I'm not doing so well. Blew my DD to hell and gone last night. Had a sleep eating thing happen. Ate not one but TWO deli style sandwiches with smoked turkey breast, provolone cheese, mayo, onion, lettuce, mustard and kaiser roll. Then I fell asleep with the laptop and everything running so all the batteries to all of my RV goodies were dead as could be when I woke up.

Not too thrilled with myself at the moment. Having my UD but not tracking. I know I'm going to go over and all I can do is start another DD tomorrow and try to get back into the rhythm of it again. I have to look at DD's as low calorie, liquid fasting days. The sooner I get used to that, the quicker I can get over this.

Hope everyone is having a blessed weekend. I'm wondering where I'll sleep tonight. Had to move last night cause some lady knocked on my window around 9 pm. I drove over and parked in this huge parking lot behind the drug store. No one bothered me there, but that doesn't mean they won't bother me tonight. Hoping I can get a good sleep and no stranger comes face to face with me this evening or tomorrow morning.

This is a tricky new way of living. Staying in CT while doing it is harder than if I were on the move, heading to another state. At least I'm telling myself that.
is all you really need.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #130
CherylB
Big Yapper!

I'm not doing well. Where the heck is everyone? Hope you're doing better than I am. I'll get it under control again soon. I promise. I feel horrible. My knees are hurting like they were before I began JUDDD. It's so fast, how the awfulness returns when we go off track!

Let's do what's right and be well!
is all you really need.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:27 AM   #131
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

I had a very rough weekend with my hands And I'm carrying a lot of swelling which is a pest.

Yes - it's hard to stay on track when things go awry and it's confounded by making things worse when we do go offtrack...

JUDDD is very forgiving but we do need to comply with its simple principles if we hope to reap its benefits.

We're planning a short getaway at the end of the week so I might be absent, depending on internet access.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:37 AM   #132
Carly

Cheryl- sorry you are struggling. Hope you can jump back to rotations and start feeling the JUDDD magic again soon.

Slow- sorry to hear about your shoulder. I can see how yogurt and granola might seem like the perfect remedy

Bluebelle- I hope your couple's time with DH was enjoyable.

__________________________________________________ _____

On Saturday myself and DW met up with my sister and mom, who was here from Florida and we spent a couple hours at Governor's Island. We had a great time. I highly recommend a trip to G.I. if you are in NYC during the time of year that it's open.

Then we went out to a Korean Gastro-Pub. Some of the dishes we got were really delish, but others I was not as crazy about.

Yesterday was laundry, errands and more laundry and errands. Here I sut on Monday morning tired as all get out.

TTYL.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #133
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Carly - in passing, may I say that my fridge has never been free of pickled lettuce since you mentioned it. It mixes so well with other ingredients and is a fine accompaniment to many meals. So, thank you!

I had to Google Governors Island And, yes, should I ever be there at the right time, I must visit it as it reads like such an oasis.

Last edited by SlowSure; 08-21-2017 at 12:34 PM..
Old 08-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #134
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Tell us more - we have a movie star here!!!!
If you saw Kissa IRL, you'd think she's a star of some sort or another. If you ever saw the photographs of her as a young woman that were taken for a theatre programme (IIRC) then you'd know it for sure - she's an icon of zest for life and an utter delight!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #135
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Hi, everyone. Hope you're all doing well. Not much has changed here. Tried to watch the solar eclipse an hour ago but cloud cover persisted. I knew when I went to the effort of securing eclipse glasses that it might all be for nothing, but it's still disappointing. For a while I could see a sort of crescent moonish shape under the clouds, which was semi-cool, but nothing extraordinary. My parents are visiting my sister and bro-in-law in Kansas City and got amazing views, at least.

I'm still over here JUDDDing and struggling and feeling introspective about this food addiction that doesn't seem to ever want to let me go, and undoubtedly never will. Do any of you listen to the New York Times's podcast The Daily? They did a fantastic piece on WeightWatchers recently. It's interesting regardless of whether you've used the program, and culminated in the not-new but still thoughtful theme of "statistically speaking, dieting doesn't tend to work... but we haven't thought up anything better yet." Sometimes I think--look at all this weight I've lost! I can and will continue and not look back. Other days--like after yesterday, which was one long binge--I wonder, what's the point? If I stopped trying to limit my intake, would every day be a binge, or would the binges stop because I finally felt satisfied? Am I ever really capable of feeling satisfied? Why am I addicted to food in the first place? I know people often say there is usually some underlying reason beyond "I like food," and sure, it's been a comfort during hard times, but it's always seemed to me that the main reason I'm fat is that I just. Love. Food. And can't stop eating it. Anyway, enough introspection for one post. Just trying to keep myself on track over here and struggling.

Carly, I love your new photo.

Sorry so short but I enjoyed reading through August's posts! Miss talking to you all more regularly. Some subconscious part of me is probably keeping me from the boards because I'm ashamed of myself and my eating, even though you all are an excellent support system. Much love.
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #136
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl and Slow sorry you had rough weekends.

My own weekend was lovely (sorry that sounds annoying, but I expected otherwise!). Deeply contented, lots of mellow family time.

Both Sat and Sun were UDs, so doing a penitent DD today. Hard necause I have a fridge full of yum food at the moment (I made an amazing chickpea salad with tahini dressing/curried roasted cauliflower yesterday which is calling my name!). It's already almost 2pm and I haven't had a bite, so I know I'll make it.

Writing this as we come back from eclipse-viewing (only partial, but still a thrill, especially to space-obsessed DS).
Old 08-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #137
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
If you saw Kissa IRL, you'd think she's a star of some sort or another. If you ever saw the photographs of her as a young woman that were taken for a theatre programme (IIRC) then you'd know it for sure - she's an icon of zest for life and an utter delight!
Seconded! Another eyewitness account here
Old 08-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #138
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
That's a small but significant victory and well done for the DDs despite the life stress.

I'm stating the obvious here as it's a strategic error that so many of us make in the belief that it's the right way to respond but I know that you know that your love and empathy for your DH can not allow your family's happiness, security, and wellbeing to be contingent on his mood. I'm sure that if your DH were his own best self at the moment, he'd agree tho' it's so hard to realise this when we're in a morass of frustration and even despair.

My best wishes for a wholeheartedly enjoyable couple's time.
I agree completely -- I have become an expert in extricating DS and myself from his 'bad' episodes, and not letting it dictate our lives and happiness. I am a master of retreating into my own little world when it happens. I feel for DH - as most of you know, he struggles with bipolar disorder, and an upsetting situation like the job loss exacerbate his anxiety and depressed mood. It's a health condition, not cruelty or lack of caring. This weekend he was extremely sweet and apologized for his moods this week, thanking me specifically for being patient with him.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #139
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Still here, sticking to the rotations. Trying to wrap my mind around the school year beginning in 2 weeks and what I will need to do to make sure I take care of myself when that happens, I tend to make myself last priority. NOT THIS YEAR!

back again April 2017

WOE:JUDDD
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #140
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Tara wow we posted almost at the same time!

Here are my 3 thoughts:

1. I find those articles/reports on "statistically, most fat people will never lose the weight" incredibly unhelpful and irrelevant to laypeople who are doing their best to slim down for health. I am very much a fact-seeking person, but personally I would rather those not be out in the public domain (curious what Slow opines). Anyway, here on this JUDDD forum there are tons of exceptions to that statistic average - you, Carly, even me with my measly 15 lbs. I would rather focus on that!

2. My (oversimplified and apologies in advance for Yiddish) view on taming addiction to food (you know this resonates deeply with me): some of us are noshes, and that's just the way it is. We've all met the non-noshes; good for them. For us, though, without a doubt, environmental and biological factors are to blame, but it's folly to expect to change when we have all those "reward" signals lighting up in our poor brains when we bite into a bagel. The best we can do is have a sense of humor about it, reign in the noshery half the time (aka JUDDD, using a powerful combination of self-distraction and rational talk-myself-off-the-ledge thinking), and try to nosh healthily. Just doing that is a huge achievement.

3. I thinking posting here more often would be good for you to stay on plan, and we miss you. :-)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #141
Sharss
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 144/135/125 5'6 1/2" 75yr
WOE: SBD -> JUDDD
Start Date: 5/16/17
Tara,

I have a challenge for you. Go to YouTube and do a Search on Universe of Thoughts. Hopefully you'll pick up on what I see as your most major problem.

BTW, ignore the last page of the video with their web site. Not the purpose.

2nd Long Term Goal 135 reached: 6/11/17
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #142
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
1. I find those articles/reports on "statistically, most fat people will never lose the weight" incredibly unhelpful and irrelevant to laypeople who are doing their best to slim down for health. I am very much a fact-seeking person, but personally I would rather those not be out in the public domain (curious what Slow opines)....

2. My (oversimplified and apologies in advance for Yiddish) view on taming addiction to food (you know this resonates deeply with me): some of us are noshes, and that's just the way it is....For us, though, without a doubt, environmental and biological factors are to blame, but it's folly to expect to change when we have all those "reward" signals lighting up in our poor brains
For the second part - there is some excellent work on neuroscience that strongly agrees with you. To some extent, we live in a society and economy that is predicated on driving us to consume. It's comparatively recently that our desire to consume novel foods and to treat food as a pleasure can be in such strong opposition to our health. So, beyond the usual biological imperative that prompts us to be attracted to food, we also have strong social drivers that mean we are expected to consume but to select out and ignore our drivers for food. That's really not going to happen through willpower...

For the first part - the statistics look miserable. But, it's the context and interpretation that can make them so...It's comparatively recently that nutrition became a formal science and the necessity for research into obesity is relatively in its infancy.

I had to cut the rest because it turned into an essay To some extent, we have very limited numbers in contexts that aren't well-defined - and that's unhelpful.

There should be better definitions of weight loss success and what it means. There should be more numbers and it's astonishing that there aren't when we consider just how many people are involved in weight loss initiatives every year. Bluebelle, you'll know what I mean by NNT and NNH*. If people are being given medical weight loss advice/treatment, then we need those or we just don't have the data for appropriately-nuanced discussions that can help all of us.

*NNT (number needed to treat) or NNH (number needed to harm) for weight loss advice. Crudely - how many people would have to follow weight loss treatment to see benefit; and the corollary is, how many people would be harmed by following that treatment. E.g., is it true that serial yo-yo dieting helps some people yet it erodes the lean body mass of others, altering body composition and metabolism for the worse? If people rebound above their previous high weight after losing some, would better advice for many people be to stabilise rather than lose?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:43 AM   #143
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Tara - Foxen Duke, Gillian Riley - there are many writers who'd say that people need to accept who they are and eat intuitively. There's a strong argument that it's a logical fallacy that people can work on an eating disorder and weight management simultaneously.

I can see the sense in that for people with eating disorders and I'm out of my depth with ED as I have no personal experience of them.

That said, I do think there's a point at which people's metabolisms are working against their health goals. However, it's unknown how relevant this is given that most of us continue to be immersed in an horrendously complex obeseogenic environment. Take a look at

shift obesity systems influence diagram

for one very popular illustration of what is involved.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:00 AM   #144
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
SS - thanks for the 2 above posts! You are just one very smart gal!

Thanks Again!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #145
Carly

A quick hello to everyone.

I have so many thoughts on the whole eating disorder issue. I'm at a place right now, where I don't even know if full recovery from an ED is possible. Perhaps it's just managing it throughout the life cycle. Much of my thinking has gone sideways since this spring and I'm just sort of stuck in a state of inertia. I'd say I don't act out on 90% of the restricting thoughts, but they are noticeably louder and more present than they have been in many years- so... I just don't know what to make of it. I'm feeling a bit blind sided by the whole thing, yet not very motivated to make changes to my thinking- if that is even possible right now...

Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #146
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/169/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
Hey guys , sigh, just been in avoidance mode. My motivation to get back on track fizzled out after the first week. I lost about 4 pounds just skipping breakfast and eating low-carb and then the weekend hit and I went off the rails again and put it all back on. I'm struggling with doing rotations correctly .I think in my brain somehow I decided that just skipping breakfast was good when I definitely need a longer fast and a shorter eating window. I've just been so down being back in NJ and apartment hunting and feeling like this is my life now when I guess I still held so much hope in going back home. Having something to look forward to is something that motivates me to try harder to lose weight and right now there's nothing on the horizon. even worse is if we get an apartment we will be living paycheck to paycheck and so there will be absolutely no trips or anything for me to look forward to. DH does have an interview lined up this week for An Illinois job, I am hoping and praying he gets it but this company was the same one he interviewed for back in April and they never got back in touch with him after that interview. I'm hoping it's because he was technically overqualified for that position that but The one he is interviewing for this week is the same exact title that he holds now. so I'm hoping that makes a difference . But having hope is dangerous because once your letdown it throws you into depression.

Tara – I can relate to everything you've written regarding having an eating disorder. It feels like there is no end in sight, every day is a battle with your instinct to over eat and frankly I am tired of fighting. As I've said before this isn't the first time I've lost a large amount of weight ,and you know ,in the high of losing said weight again I look back and think how did I ever get to the point where I gained all the weight back ?!how did I let that slip through my fingers? But when you hit this wall of being tired of fighting every day that's the dangerous part that's when you are at risk of dropping the ball and gaining all the weight back and it's fighting through the desire to just quit that so hard. I think this is when having a A specific weight in mind on the scale that you do not want to see yourself go above is a good idea because once you see that weight you know no matter how you feel that you need to kick your own butt back into gear. I'm there now ,I am in the upper 170s i'm one bad weekend away from being back in the 180s when most of this year I was in the 160s .that is not acceptable and I need to figure out how to get my brain back on board.

I know what I need to do and it's just been so hard to force myself to do it. I need to do full fasting down day and I've let my derby schedule and lazy attitude stop me from doing them. Yesterday I didn't count calories but I did a low-carb up day and I am down a pound and a half today. So as I lay in bed last night I told myself that, come hell or Highwater I would be doing a full fast down day today no matter what. I don't have derby and there's really no excuse so I'm doing it. My preferred down days are Monday Wednesday Friday but because roller derby is on Mondays and Wednesdays it just doesn't work and I need to stop trying to force it to work. So I have to do Tuesday Thursdays as down days now that means I either need to have another one on Saturday or Sunday which is why I've always avoided that schedule because I have zero self-control on the weekends. But I'm just going to have to try it. I also need to stop avoiding coming on here because I do need that daily support and this community helps to keep me on track.

AnyWho end rant seems like a lot of us are struggling at the end of summer here and I actually noticed throughout the years that I do better in the winter then in the summer which is kind of strange anyone else notice this?
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #147
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Vio - I'm highlighting a previous Tara thread that might be relevant: https://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showt...light=sobriety

And the famous speech on the dullness of sobriety from Elementary (a show I've still not seen despite many recommendations - someday). For me, it's the perception of the utter disparity between the effort involved in maintenance (it's probably maintaining food sobriety for those with ED) and the results. If that sounds odd, it's the grind of maintaining when you also need to cope with the normal vicissitudes of Life that have their own energy-sapping qualities.
Quote:
I’ve been feeling a little bit down of late. It’s the process of maintaining my sobriety. It’s repetitive and it’s relentless and above all it’s tedious.
When I left rehab I accepted your influence. I committed to my recovery and now two years in I find myself asking: Is this it? My sobriety is simply a grind. It’s just this leaky faucet which requires constant maintenance and in return offers only not to drip.
I used to imagine that a relapse would be the climax to some grand drama. Now I think that if I were to use drugs again it would in fact be an anticlimax, the impious surrender to the incessant ‘drip, drip, drip’ of existence.” ~ Sherlock, Elementary
All this said, the last thing I need is to develop metabolic issues or inflammation by giving up on a WOE or schedule that works for me (the mechanism here would be that altering my body composition would tip me towards metabolic complications very quickly).

Last edited by SlowSure; 08-22-2017 at 07:50 AM..
Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #148
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Everything everyone has posted is valid and I totally understand! But I don't want to misrepresent the piece The Daily did--it was NOT all about how dieting doesn't work. That was a small part of what they examined (and not what they claimed, merely an observation on the discussion surrounding weight loss). I don't find that kind of viewpoint particularly helpful to weight loss either, but I promise, that wasn't a claim they were trying to make as universal by any means. It was just a really interesting piece that got me thinking, and I highly recommend it as entertainment if nothing else. It's a great podcast.

At this point I don't know that I'll ever really be able to pinpoint why I have this eating disorder. The following is really just a vent, because I could point to a lot of factors, and I find therapy helpful when thinking about it and dealing with it. But as Vlo mentioned, the nonstop struggle makes me so tired. A year of hard work wherein I lost about 10 pounds... then six weeks of struggle and I've gained those 10 back. There's nothing to do but to keep trying to crawl out of the hole even if I know that a month from now, a year from now, maybe 5-10 years from now I'll be looking down the hole again and struggling with the desire to let myself slip back in. I wish I could quiet the nonstop food thoughts in my head. I wish I could quit food cold turkey.
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #149
FrostyBeav
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 231/217/160
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 9/25/16
Hey all. I've been insanely busy lately. My son moving back to school from his summer internship coincided with my nephew getting married in Montana. Last Thursday, we loaded the stuff my son kept here into the truck and headed down to meet him at his school three and a half hours away. We got every thing unloaded and then had to jump back into the truck and drive 8 hours to Great Falls, MT.

Pretty much all of western Montana is on fire so it was really smoky our entire time there and also pretty warm. Other than that, the wedding was nice and we got to do a little visiting. I was hoping to see my brother and his wife who live in Texas but she came down with strep throat and they had to cancel.

We drove back Sunday in a mix of smoke, crazy eclipse traffic and constant road destruction. It took more than 13 hours to get my son back to school and then get us home. I was seriously wiped out and it gave me a migraine that I still haven't been able to shake.

At the wedding, my son managed to get a picture of this fat guy and his amazing wife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding.jpg (57.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #150
CherylB
Big Yapper!

Trying to get caught up with all your posts but I'm reading and as I'm going from paragraph to paragraph, I realize I don't remember what I just read. But I'm trying.

My life since leaving the campground to live a boondocking existence has been one eye-opener after another. I'm only 1 week into it and I can't leave CT (financially) until after Labor Day. That's a very long time to try to find places that are legal to park overnight.

Things were going well, and then in the last 48, they haven't been. Involving 2 cops at 2 different locations, and people lying about how long I've been parked in one place and others lying about telling me to leave another on more than one occasion. I was in tears last night when the second cop was asking for my registration and driver's license and basically instructed me to try Walmart.

So, to Walmart I went. It was okay and I'll go back there tonight, but I have no assurance that one night, even there, I'll get the knock and the "Hello?" and the shining flashlights and have to once again go somewhere else.

The one bright spot that is keeping me sane is the dog park. I go there every day and pull the generator out and put it on the side of the RV where no one can see it, fire it up and plug the RV in and charge everything I can. That's when I can safely use the computer, for as long as it's running. The batteries drain so fast once I shut it off and I tend to avoid using them when I'm unplugged from it.

Today is supposed to be the last hot and sticky day for a while, but I have the a/c blowing and fans blasting and we are going to get through this nasty day and go back to Walmart after dark. What a life.

I chose it. I knew it would be hard. I knew I would want to give up, and I was telling myself that I had to keep reminding myself that I'm doing this so I will have a greater stash of cash to draw from in September. But funds are low and there's a lot of days left to go.

Why does it have to be a holiday weekend when I want to leave? I get paid that Friday but if I drive out to IN on a holiday weekend and something goes wrong (like it did last November, when I went out for Thanksgiving but left late), I'm super screwed. Can't leave until Tuesday.

I feel out of control and completely out of sorts. I don't have time to log my food and drinks into my online tracker and that has really been my downfall. I have to let that go and just rely on what I learned. I know generally what I can eat on a DD and I know that usually, an UD is more calories than I typically want to eat.

This past week, it's all been thrown out the window. I will get it back together but there are many bumps in this road. I'm ready for the next phase, or I think I am.
is all you really need.