Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #181
CherylB
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Stats: 250/228/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/12/17
I have allot to catch up on here but i wanted to check in. I spayed my dog yesterday and for all that evening and all of today, I've been a private duty nurse and frantic mother. I wrote about it on my journal so i wont go into all that again. She's making a full recovery and we can move forward.

I'm tired of being in pain too, so back on my rotations I go. I'm going to buy some pads that I use just for tracking my food. The online tracker just can't be done without a reliable source of electricity, and I'm boondocking in my rv. BTW, it ain't easy. Especially in CT.

So, I'll try to return to the fold in the next few days. I hope you're all well.
is all you really need.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #182
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
Managed a DD today (after two UDs im a row - and yesterday was super binge-y).

The guys went to the beach today. I went to the salon for a cut and color (no more red - back to brown). Yesterday I went shopping for clothes - a very cute black dress, new pants. Tomorrow going shopping with my mom. Trying to focus on self-care: no split ends, no bleach-spattered ratty leggings, etc. I don't know why something so basic is hard for me,

Spending my evening watching Netflix and trying not to think of food :-)
Old 08-27-2017, 04:28 AM   #183
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/110/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
We had a lovely kayak trip on the River Avon - seeing a reassuring number of damsel flies (hadn't seen many in my local area) and flashes of a kingfisher.

We visited some good exhibitions and generally enjoyed Bath.

I shall have some additional tests and some imaging relating to the inflammatory arthritis: the difficulty with my hands is increasingly inconvenient and intrusive and I need some bits and pieces checked to make sure that they're not additional sites and just coincidental.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #184
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

So glad you had a lovely time in Bath Slow! Hope the tests turn out well and there aren't additional sites.

I got on the scale this AM for the first time in months and I am the same weight in my stats - 193 or 194 (and this is a TOM number). This may not seem like it to you guys, but it is a very good thing. I've only been back on JUDDD for a couple of weeks (with imperfect rotations - 7 DDs total). Before that, I had been off the wagon for 2.5 months. To me, this means I gained a negligible amount while off the wagon. It is a very curious thing. When I was trying to do Atkins, I would balloon up the second I went off-plan (not just the 5-lb water weight - I would easily regain 15 lbs lost in 3 weeks). I wonder if JUDDD has impacted my metabolism in a positive way. Another thing is that while I was off the wagon, I wasn't really binging - eating pretty healthily actually, just not doing rotations or counting
calories.

In any case - my body just loves JUDDD it seems! I'm upbeat; there is a long road ahead, but 193 isn't a horrible number. I've honestly never felt so anxiety-free about my WOE - I know I can do this. Gosh, it is so freeing to not have that constant "I'm not doing anything about it and I'll be fat forever" rumination in my mind -- or its hideous sister, "Ha - starting Atkins Induction for the 111th time? You'll last 5 days this time." I don't care if it takes me a year to lose 40 lbs, because I know I'll get there eventually. JUDDD is totally doable.

Leaving soon to spend the day with Mom. It's UD and haven't had anything to eat yet (a lot of water, since my stomach has been upset since yesterday). Probably will break fast at 1pm. I think we're going to Cosi - soup and bread sound good.

To my infinite annoyance, my loaner work computer also died this weekend and I now have to go into the office tomorrow (luckily my new, permanent computer has arrived). I wasn't planning on going to the office until Tuesday (I have to deliver a training). I know it sounds like I'm complaining about nothing, but I start work at 5am (that's why I work from home - to match UK hours!) and the IT guys don't start until 9am, so I have already lost 4 hours of work - on top of all the missed work last week. It's not my fault that my company has given me a bunch if crappy refurbished laptops, but still - grrr. Thank God my boss is on vacation right now, or I'd get a bunch of attitude about it from her as well.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #185
FairyWren
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/147/133 5'4"
Cheryl - Just off to catch up on your journal. Hope your dog is recovering well

Hi Slow - kayak trip sounds good. Hope your tests turn out OK - keep us posted!

Bluebelle - Yes, i'm sure that JUDDD makes a permanent impression on our bodies - since doing JUDDD i've never ever returned to my highest weight of 178 even when i've not been doing UD/DD. Yes, I gained but i've eaten pretty healthily and have often automatically done IF (eating within a restricted window each day) probably because JUDDD teaches you that a little hunger now and again isn't too much of a problem. And once my weight got to a certain level I called time and have returned to EOD. I'm pretty confident that if I can get to goal I can maintain.

Hope your day with your mom went well and you get your new computer up and running soon
Old 08-28-2017, 05:39 AM   #186
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/123.2/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Just a very quick hello to everyone! It seems like this summer just flew by. It's pretty crazy.

Slow- hope your test come out OK. I've had some very uncomfortable arthritic pain in my left thumb. Prior, I had no arthritis in my fingers at all, so hope this is not a new trend.

Fairy- I know you are off on your walking trip soon. I hope it's great. how many miles will you be walking all together?

Cheryl- how you pup is feel better.

Bluebelle- I think JUDDD can definitely heal our bodies and it's certainly a forgiving WOE to compared to many others.

Busy day- so off I go.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #187
FairyWren
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/147/133 5'4"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Fairy- I know you are off on your walking trip soon. I hope it's great. how many miles will you be walking all together?

Busy day- so off I go.
Hi Carly i'll be doing 95 miles over 9 days for the main walk then i'm taking a side trip with my tent and (depending on the weather!) am heading out to the most remote community on the UK mainland (it's called the Knoydart peninsular - no roads in you either get a 45 minute boat trip or walk 2 days in, i'm planning on getting the boat) and hope to do another 20 to 25 miles out there with some camping miles from anywhere and there'll be no phone signal or internet! If the weather looks wet and windy for that side trip i'll probably just head home!

Have a good day!
Old 08-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #188
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/169/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
So as you may have guessed based on my lack of posts I've not been successful this past week. Sigh after my tues fast my ud went fairly well, I did go over my calories by 300 but I tried to not go too crazy, up 2 lbs the next day. Then Thursday was supposed to be my next dd and my friends invited me to go to the beach. I packed drinks and snacks for the kids and planned on still fasting anyways. Well we stop to get alcohol and I grab this truly spiked and sparkling drinks that only have 2 carbs , thinking still trying to watch it but not really sure about fasting while drinking we had a nice day at the beach but I ended up drinking on an empty stomach and at 2 pm I was feeling tipsy and that's when I end up munching on chips then my friend promised the kids ice cream so of course I ended up having a scoop. All in all it wasn't the worst day but next day I was up 4 lbs so that was really disappointing. And ever since Thursday I just haven't been able to get it together, tried to fast Friday , gave up at 2. Saturday we were invited to a kids party, I said let me at least stay LC , didn't eat any party food etc. that night we were invited to my DH friends house to watch the fight, cue drinks and more food and I threw in the towel. Then Sunday , should've been a dd , fasted Till 1 pm stayed LC , then in laws had some pernil and PR rice they picked up, I had some for dinner. I'm telling you my resolve is in in The toilet right now! My mom calls me last night and of course diet is a topic ( she's on WW) and I say I'm struggling and she says" oh yea I saw the picture your friend posted on FB of you at the beach the other day and you look much bigger." so not only do I feel crappy about being up in weight but I have someone telling me they can tell I've gained I'm back up to 178.8 this morning, feeling yucky and not sure what to do today.......instinct says dd but there is practice tonight I may do an md ( only eat 1200 cal dinner before practice) and then do a dd anyways tomorrow. Another thing messing me up is dh , he seems to want to have 2 cheat days every weekend since I've been back but they don't effect him, he's still losing but they set me back a lot! He now weighs 205 lbs from almost 255lbs! In the same time he's lost all that weight I've managed to gain 18 lbs( I was in the low 160's when he started) sigh not fair but he also does not struggle with binge eating like i do

Sigh enough of my ramble, going to finish my coffee and force myself to do my workout DVD. Going to push lots of fluids today too. Ttyl!
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #189
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Nice picture, Frosty! You look great!

Cheryl, I think I missed earlier posts about your living situation, but you have my sympathy. Money makes everything in life 10x more stressful. Hoping you are able to find good safe places to park until you're able to leave. And I hope your pup is feeling better!

Vlo, I'm glad you listened to the podcast! I found it really thought provoking and agree regarding the fat acceptance movement. I like it, but like anything else, I think it's important for people to understand that the point of the movement should be about choice. Feminism means a woman can choose to stay at home with her children OR a career; likewise I think fat acceptance should mean that people who do want to diet even though it's a struggle shouldn't be looked upon as judgmental about weight, etc. Anyway--I know exactly how you feel about weight loss and calorie counting and food obsession seeming to dominate our lives so much that eventually even others start seeing us that way. Once in high school I lost around 25 pounds on WW and my mom said to me "It's like the greatest thing you've ever accomplished." I cringe when I look back on that, because I know my MOM would probably cringe if she really realized what she was saying, because she's not really like that--weight loss is just this revered thing in our world, and when you lose successfully, it seems to overpower more important accomplishments. But then I'm guilty too, since it's the thing I think about day in and day out! Sigh. Diet fatigue. Oy. And yet I too will keep going because I feel I must. The only thing that makes me unhappier than struggling to eat less is gaining weight, so...

Slow, thank you for the reading suggestions! I'll definitely check them out!

Also, Vlo, I need to try a longer full-fast like you mentioned. I've felt bloated since June, I swear. I'm sure it would help--if I could get the willpower.

Bluebelle, yay for feeling less anxiety and having your stats be accurate!!

FairyWren, your trip sounds amazing! Happy trails!

Um, speaking of waffles, has anyone tried the new Halo Top flavors that just came out? I picked up Cinnamon Roll and Pancakes & Waffles this weekend... last night while enjoying Game of Thrones, I ate the Pancakes & Waffles pint... holy cow! It's delicious. Reminds me of eating ice cream topped with maple syrup at my grandparents' when I was a kid. 280 cals a pint! I'll let you know my thoughts on Cinnamon Roll. Next time I might have to try the new Candy Bar flavor. We'll see if any of them can rival the deliciousness of Oatmeal Cookie!

It's potluck day at work. Pray for me.
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #190
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

FairyWren - I like the sound of your trip

Bluebelle - KUTGW! and Huzzah for the JUDDD influence on our metabolisms. In other news, what a false economy about the refurbished laptops!

Vio - the different weight loss trajectories of others is maddening. Comparison is the thief of joy and we can only focus on what works for us. It's great that going off plan for 2 days is OK for your DH tho' it plainly doesn't work for you. That is obviously difficult to reconcile but I hope that you come up with a workable solution.

Carly - oh, I hope not. Arthritis isn't good anywhere but it's disproportionately ridiculous for its impact on your quality of life when it's your hands. And it seems to be one of those things where when you pass a relatively mild threshold, the impact on your functioning is high even when it's not the sort/intensity of pain that would usually be necessary to disable you (if that makes sense). You're treated with a biologic, aren't you? Is there any chance that this is osteoarthritis rather than an extension of the inflammatory arthritis? As a general note, erosive osteoarthritis (tends to be the hands, can also include the feet and other areas) is a differential diagnosis for PsA and typically can only be distinguished with distinctive radiological changes.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #191
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyWren View Post
Hi Carly i'll be doing 95 miles over 9 days for the main walk then i'm taking a side trip with my tent and (depending on the weather!) am heading out to the most remote community on the UK mainland (it's called the Knoydart peninsular - no roads in you either get a 45 minute boat trip or walk 2 days in, i'm planning on getting the boat) and hope to do another 20 to 25 miles out there with some camping miles from anywhere and there'll be no phone signal or internet! If the weather looks wet and windy for that side trip i'll probably just head home!
This sounds like an amazing trip. I'd love the walking part, but probably not the camping part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlo1125 View Post
So as you may have guessed based on my lack of posts I've not been successful this past week.
Some times just feel and are harder than others. I can't really pinpoint what makes that so, but I hear you. This last week has felt more challenging for me too and I'm not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramisu View Post
Vlo, I'm glad you listened to the podcast! I found it really thought provoking and agree regarding the fat acceptance movement. I like it, but like anything else, I think it's important for people to understand that the point of the movement should be about choice. Feminism means a woman can choose to stay at home with her children OR a career; likewise I think fat acceptance should mean that people who do want to diet even though it's a struggle shouldn't be looked upon as judgmental about weight, etc. Anyway--I know exactly how you feel about weight loss and calorie counting and food obsession seeming to dominate our lives so much that eventually even others start seeing us that way.

Um, speaking of waffles, has anyone tried the new Halo Top flavors that just came out? I picked up Cinnamon Roll and Pancakes & Waffles this weekend... last night while enjoying Game of Thrones, I ate the Pancakes & Waffles pint... holy cow! It's delicious. Reminds me of eating ice cream topped with maple syrup at my grandparents' when I was a kid. 280 cals a pint! I'll let you know my thoughts on Cinnamon Roll. Next time I might have to try the new Candy Bar flavor. We'll see if any of them can rival the deliciousness of Oatmeal Cookie!
I listened to the podcast as well. For me, I'm not happy when I'm over weight. I don't feel well and my quality of life is not as good. I think if someone is not really effected by being over weight than I can understand the acceptance. It surely should not be what defines us, but sometimes it feels like it does.

As of last night my grocery store still did not have the new Halo Top flavors, but I'm so excited!!!! I hope they get them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

Carly - oh, I hope not. Arthritis isn't good anywhere but it's disproportionately ridiculous for its impact on your quality of life when it's your hands. And it seems to be one of those things where when you pass a relatively mild threshold, the impact on your functioning is high even when it's not the sort/intensity of pain that would usually be necessary to disable you (if that makes sense). You're treated with a biologic, aren't you? Is there any chance that this is osteoarthritis rather than an extension of the inflammatory arthritis? As a general note, erosive osteoarthritis (tends to be the hands, can also include the feet and other areas) is a differential diagnosis for PsA and typically can only be distinguished with distinctive radiological changes.
I don't take a biological, but it seems like that may be something to look into at some point. I'm not crazy about the side effects. I've had arthritis in my toes for years, but this thing with my left thumb is new. Yes, it's relatively un-painful, but does seem to be a rather constant annoyance. I seem to hold it in a position that bothers it while I type, which I do a great many hours every day. I'm trying to be mindful of keeping my thumb straight rather than bending it when I type, but as soon as I stop thinking about it, I bend it again.

I hope Phoenix and Portia are OK. It's not like them to stay away so long.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #192
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramisu View Post
That sounds delicious! I say this as I am cramming a waffle into my mouth. It sounds like it was made for me!

My treat while watching the GoT finale was beef ho fun noodles. I can't believe we have to wait 2 years for more episodes.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #193
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My mom calls me last night and of course diet is a topic ( she's on WW) and I say I'm struggling and she says" oh yea I saw the picture your friend posted on FB of you at the beach the other day and you look much bigger." so not only do I feel crappy about being up in weight but I have someone telling me they can tell I've gained
Hi Vlo!

Lots to unpack here. First-off, I am sorry your mom said that. I don't believe it is helpful. I also don't think you should walk around feeling bad because she saw a gain in the photo - as we all know, depending on the angle or clothes we're wearing, photos can make us look much heavier than we really are. We've seen lots of photos of you here - and even with a 10 lb. gain (which, again - this seems to be my favorite thing to say to you lol - girl, you know that's mostly poo and water! ) you are not by any stretch a heavy woman. You look gorgeous and athletic and tough and cool, as we've told you many times before.

Secondly - I say this as someone who also has a no-filter mother, it would be good for you to address the fact that her comment was not helpful and hurtful, and why. The backstory of my mom: she seems to have eating issues of her own (rail-thin, deprives herself of everything, low-key obsesses over everything and what others eat, but is a smoker and daily drinker). When I was a kid she used to say super-damaging things to me about my weight (all which had the opposite effect of what she intended - they just made me overeat more, in secret), and just a couple of years ago sent me a hysterical email written at 4am saying that I was going to die from being 30-40 lbs. overweight (FYI I have no health conditions, other than being overweight, and I did not have any at that point either). Everything she's said is wrapped in honest good intentions, not malice. She's gotten much better, because I really laid down the law with her, and that I didn't want to hear that stuff from her. I told her how hurtful and unhelpful it was, with specifics, and that we couldn't have a relationship if she kept on doing it.

Bottom line - you have my full sympathy, ears and support on this.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #194
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Arrrrghhhhh just lost a huge post cause my phone died!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #195
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Hello folks! Wow i guess it has been a while since I've been on here. I have been SWAMPED. I don't know that I can go back and talk to everyone individually - I just tried to get caught up but no luck so please forgive me.

from what I have so far read I can relate to the general frustration with staying on plan. I have been too busy to do anything resembling a dieting plan but am trying to skip meals or otherwise be cognizant of what I am eating. I haven't stepped on the scale in weeks, I'm afraid to. I've also been extremely stubborn and trying to insist on having a life along with my new work responsibilities and its really hard to juggle both. I'm exhausted - but in a good way. One thing that occurred to me while reading peoples posts is when we are struggling so hard to get back in to a dieting mindset, I wonder if maybe it is a better idea to just think of maintaining rather than dieting while we take that little mental break? Of course that might be just because it is what I am grasping on to - . But I am right along with the rest of you, just trying to get myself back on track.

One of the things I tried to do was take a trip down south to see the total eclipse. Due to these new work responsibilities along with a 50% chance of clouds and at least 14 hours of driving (NOT counting traffic which I understand was just crazy) I decided to skip it. Instead I went north with DC and we had an absolutely lovely 2 days kayaking, hiking, eating and drinking and generally enjoying each others company. We enjoyed the partial eclipse sitting in the water drinking beers. I think it was the highlight of my summer so far. The one thing that happened though is I was walking through some long grass in open toe sandals and managed to jam my foot in to a piece of metal which gave me quite the nice puncture wound in between my toes. OUCH. I didn't let it stop me but long story short, it was infected (fortunately I am up to date on my tetanus shot). I've been on antibiotics for a week and it is totally messing with me. I've had this strange hunger (healing body?) and have felt totally bloated, fat and uncomfortable (messed up gut microbes I assume). I started also eating yogurt and taking probiotics and I think I'm feeling a bit better - at least my clothes don't feel so tight and that weird obsessive hunger has faded. And I am pretty sure the foot is nearly healed.

On another note, I did finally get the promotion at work and an extremely modest raise. I'm now on so many different meetings and committees its hard to keep track. I also was taking some courses towards a certificate and trying to keep up with those as well. That is why I haven't been on-line- just trying to keep my head above water!!!!

But to echo what a few of you have said- I need to start getting better at coming back here- it really does help to keep me on track. I also need to start weighing again. Its too easy to ignore the direction I'm headed in when I don't pay attention.

I hope everyone is doing well today and your personal struggles get better!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #196
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Ok lets try this again....

Tara- yes to everything you said. Sigh. Hope you survived the pot luck! I haven't seen the new halo top flavors but to be honest I haven't even looked in halo tops direction since discovering enlightened. I just may have to try those new ones though, and my luck they are on sale again this week for $2.88( shoprite Carly!)
As for full fasts they really are best if you can get through them mentally. Going for one today, wish me luck!

Slow- you are right it does not do to dwell on his success and my lack there of. I'm genuinely happy for him but I can't keep trying to do what he does because we are different and I need to focus on what works for me!

Carly- maybe its the time of year? We should check back to last years august post and see how we were doing!

Bluebelle- poop and water and thanks for the lovely compliments I think it's awesome you were able to get your mom to hear you and stop the negativity! I think it's like you said, it's coming from good intentions. My mom has struggled with her weight her whole life and never been successful, so I think she's proud ive been able to do it and doesn't want to see me lose that accomplishment. But I think there's more to it too, I don't think my mom is proud of anything else about me so that's disheartening too. She gave me an odd gift recently it was this weird tea towel that said something like "when people ask what my hobbies and interests are I don't know what to say other than I'm a mom who enjoys going to the bathroom alone." it was really insulting and I think she meant it to be cute or funny but to me it's like is that what you think of me? Again even to my own mom I'm just a mom whose lost a bunch of weight. Sigh. My mother and I have always had a weird relationship, she's over the moon proud of her sons but for me it's like oh yea her , well she married a good guy. It's an odd combo of resentment ( for losing weight, marrying well unlike her) and disappointment that I haven't done anything noteworthy in life like my brothers ( big bro- navy officer, nurse wife, 2 perfect kids~little bro firefighter, world traveler, recently engaged) anywho I got way more into that then I should have

Phoenix- I'm so happy to hear from you and very glad that you haven't been posting because life in general is good! Congrats on the promotion! Your weekend with D.C. Sounded amazing , it's great things are still
Going well with him! as for scale avoidance it is way to easy to turn a blind eye when you aren't faced with the cold hard numbers. I've recently enjoyed not weighing as much but I need to find a balance between too much and too little! I think the maintenance idea is a good way to look at it, as long as you aren't gaining! And ouch about your foot!

So I just fasted till 2 yesterday ( 2 pm seems to be the hour I can't get past) and then just ate LC. Down 1 lb today so I'll take it. Today is a full fasting day, no if's ands or buTts! Hope to drop 4 lbs overnight. I'm taking a detox bath to help get the yuckys out and hope that helps as well. DH had an interview for an IL job yesterday, it only took 10 mins because they remembered him from his April interview ( same company higher position) they said they'd be in contact but who knows he seems to think it went well and a good surprise was they gave him the name of the manager he'd be interviewing with next and it was his old boss from his job he had for 12 years! He said she loved him so I'm crossing my fingers that he gets an offer!

Last edited by Vlo1125; 08-29-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #197
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Carly- maybe its the time of year? We should check back to last years august post and see how we were doing!

DH had an interview for an IL job yesterday, it only took 10 mins because they remembered him from his April interview ( same company higher position) they said they'd be in contact but who knows he seems to think it went well and a good surprise was they gave him the name of the manager he'd be interviewing with next and it was his old boss from his job he had for 12 years! He said she loved him so I'm crossing my fingers that he gets an offer!
I was thinking that exact same thing about the time of year!!!! I do remember last August I ran in to a big stall and stayed there until I think November.

Good luck to DH on the interview! That seems like a great sign that they remembered him and invited him back! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you also.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #198
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post

My treat while watching the GoT finale was beef ho fun noodles. I can't believe we have to wait 2 years for more episodes.
Wait - WHAT? 2 years???????
Old 08-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #199
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/175/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Back from the wilds of Wyoming with nine members of the fam and an incredible experience viewing the total eclipse (pix to follow). Still crazy busy--and off to Florida for a week on Monday, so no more promises about checking in more regularly. As predicted, this has been and will continue to be the most event-filled summer of my life. I didn't even get to mention that my dad's widow had emergency surgery a week before I took off for Wyoming, and since I'm about it for support, that kept me busy. Also trying to take care of the work that has been flooding in this summer.

I've done well with my goal of just maintaining through this crazy summer--and I've learned a lot about the pitfalls as well as just what is needed to achieve that goal (including zero-cal fasting for three days before the trip, including the travel day). I seem to be dieting furiously between events, then letting loose when on the road or having guests. Not sure this is something I want to do long term, but I'll think about that when this mad stretch ends. According to my clothing (and my ability to cross my legs) I'm still at my smallest, so yay.

But the most incredible news was coming here earlier today and reading through this thread. Oh. My God. You people are awesome. I've read the article Slow recommended on the neuroscience of anorexia, which was a life-changer. Will be reading the linked thread when I finish this.

Bluebelle, Tara, Frosty, Vlo, Cheryl, FairyWren, Carly, Sistah phoe (who showed up on the same day as me!) and whoever else I missed, you guys just rock. The last few pages of this thread are so insightful and honest and meaningful. I was gonna breeze through the posts to catch up and then posts, but I realized early on I had to read slowly. Love you all.

Lots to say, especially on the subject of eating disorders, but, yeah, time. I hope I hope I hope tomorrow. So darn much going on!
Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #200
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Eclipse day in Idaho.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #201
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Eclipse day in Idaho.
p0rtia - that photo is splendid! Such joy!

And it is so akin to many, many yoga moves/positions

And, yes, that powerful article on anorexia, neuroscience, and habits is something that comes up for me on a regular basis whenever I encounter something or there is talk of particular difficulties and why it's so hard to implement behaviour change.

Last edited by SlowSure; 08-30-2017 at 02:13 AM..
Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 AM   #202
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Vio, Bluebelle - ignoring the age difference, I'm taller than both of you and you're both in excess of my highest weight.

I've seen photographs of Vio in her derby kit etc. and I've had the delight of meeting the head turning and fabulously curvaceous Bluebelle in person. I didn't look anything like either of you. Seriously, I looked considerably heavier - and, bear in mind, that I wasn't even at the top of the 'overweight' category in BMI terms.

That's the impact of body composition - I looked a good 70lbs heavier than I was because of my (as I now know) low muscle mass.

As for photographs and angles - truthfully, a photograph of my face makes me look substantially heavier (pronounced wattle) and there are some positions and angles that make me look very heavy. Me.

Sometimes, there's relatively little rhyme nor reason to it. And it's sad that people we love can body shame us. If shame got it done, few of us would have any difficulties breaking habits, undesirable behaviour traits, and managing our lives and health. But shame doesn't get it done: It's a key aggravating factor.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:45 AM   #203
Carly

Quote:

So I just fasted till 2 yesterday ( 2 pm seems to be the hour I can't get past) and then just ate LC. Down 1 lb today so I'll take it. Today is a full fasting day, no if's ands or buTts! Hope to drop 4 lbs overnight. I'm taking a detox bath to help get the yuckys out and hope that helps as well. DH had an interview for an IL job yesterday, it only took 10 mins because they remembered him from his April interview ( same company higher position) they said they'd be in contact but who knows he seems to think it went well and a good surprise was they gave him the name of the manager he'd be interviewing with next and it was his old boss from his job he had for 12 years! He said she loved him so I'm crossing my fingers that he gets an offer!
Maybe it is related to the time of year. If I have time this long weekend I'll try to go back and look at last year's thread.

I checked Shop Rite on Monday and they did not have the new flavors, but I got 2 containers of Lemon Cake for $1.80 each with the sale and coupons.

Overall, I like Enlightened better, but the Lemon Cake is still one of my favorites. I definitely want to try some of the new flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Back from the wilds of Wyoming with nine members of the fam and an incredible experience viewing the total eclipse (pix to follow).

I've done well with my goal of just maintaining through this crazy summer--and I've learned a lot about the pitfalls as well as just what is needed to achieve that goal (including zero-cal fasting for three days before the trip, including the travel day). I seem to be dieting furiously between events, then letting loose when on the road or having guests. Not sure this is something I want to do long term, but I'll think about that when this mad stretch ends. According to my clothing (and my ability to cross my legs) I'm still at my smallest, so yay.
So glad you are having a great summer and I love the eclipse picture. I'll try to post one or 2 from here in NYC.
It's a great feeling to live life and maintain our losses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Vio, Bluebelle - ignoring the age difference, I'm taller than both of you and you're both in excess of my highest weight.

Sometimes, there's relatively little rhyme nor reason to it. And it's sad that people we love can body shame us. If shame got it done, few of us would have any difficulties breaking habits, undesirable behaviour traits, and managing our lives and health. But shame doesn't get it done: It's a key aggravating factor.
It is so true that shame alone will not usually create lasting and meaningful change, but it surely has a major impact in other- possibly lasting ways.

Slow- I'm not sure what your height is, but I gather that you are 5'5" or taller. Do you get any push back from your health care providers for being technically "under wight" or does the fact that you have knowledge of having low muscle mass not cause any worry from healthcare providers?
__________________________________________________ ____

After today, I'm off through Monday. Can't wait! I'm tired people! DW's birthday is Monday. We have dinner plans at one of her favorite restaurants on Saturday night and she mentioned maybe wanting to go the the botanical gardens one day to walk around and see the sights. I have a few gift for her, so hope she picks a couple things that she wants to do this weekend.

I was super hungry yesterday, which doesn't happen all that often. I would not be surprised if TOM is lurking. It has been so wonky lately that there is just no way to tell.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #204
Carly

My pose in not quite a joyful as Portia's but here is a picture of me from the eclipse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eclipse1.jpg (31.7 KB, 39 views)

Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #205
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Portia- yay we get you and Phoenix back on the same day! you are an inspiration to travel as much as you do and still maintain is near impossible how often are you doing the 3 day fasts? I still haven't done it, I'm 38 hours in right now and feel fine, if I didn't have practice tonight I think I'd try to go for it.... I'm going to try to push it further today cause you've inspired me! you look so good, healthy and happy what a great picture!

Carly- $1.80 ?! you can't beat that! I looked for the new flavors and mine didn't have them either enjoy your extended weekend and tell DW happy birthday from us! lol you look adorable Carly!

Slow- very true body composition does have a lot to do with how you look at any weight. Also angles in photos can totally change how you look! The photo my mom said I looked bigger in was taken from the side while I was sitting down and covered In towels! sigh and yes body shaming really doesn't work , it may motivate some but for most it's just mean and unnecessary.

Phoenix- thanks , really hoping and praying so hard for this job offer! He sent his thank you email today so I really hope he hears something regarding the next step. I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't watch game of thrones though I've been meaning to do a two year hiatus gives me time to watch it

So 38 hours into my fast, I've had a little hunger but nothing too bad. Down 4.2 lbs overnight. I need to do my workout DVD and I'm debating if I should do it now or after I've had something to eat....but Portia has me wanting to push the fast as long as I can so I guess I'll workout and stop if I feel too dizzy. I do have practice tonight so I will eat at some point but hope that extending it further into then 2nd day helps keep the ud gain to a minimum. Ok off to work out! Ttyl!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2112.jpg (73.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Vlo1125; 08-30-2017 at 08:17 AM..
Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #206
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Slow- I'm not sure what your height is, but I gather that you are 5'5" or taller. Do you get any push back from your health care providers for being technically "under wight" or does the fact that you have knowledge of having low muscle mass not cause any worry from healthcare providers?
I don't know if healthcare uses this scale in the US but in the UK when you are just below the lower range of the BMI for your height, we have categories of "Moderately Lean" - when you're in the <17.5 range then you're categorised as extremely lean - and below that value is where clinicians might start to be perturbed.

So - my BMI in conjunction with the sarcopenia means that I'm in an acceptable range (body composition being far more informative than BMI).

That said, seriously, if you looked at my face, you'd not think I'm this slender and generalists tend to see me fully clothed. Specialists see me in far less clothing but by and large they're all Sports Medicine people so they're accustomed to my level of body fat (IYSWIM - tho' obviously the sarcopenia stands out to them).

Indeed, in metabolic terms*, I could stand having a range of about 95-100lbs (using that as a proxy for body composition) but I'd need a very strong motivation to do that. That said, if I thought it would make a substantial difference to this arthritis, I'd have to give it very serious consideration.

*Deleted an essay - but the tl;dr version is that there's a lot of contemporary research about metabolic perturbations that accompany inflammatory arthritis and altho' there's no guarantee that keeping a tight rein on some biomarkers would improve the inflammation or limit the bone damage, it's one of those things that might be worth trying.

Last edited by SlowSure; 08-30-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #207
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Well I think I'm going for it guys, it's 3 pm and I've still yet to break my fast 42 hours in and I feel fine. Its weird I'm not experiencing as much hunger as yesterday. I did my workout and I drank some of my homemade keto-rade for electrolytes and had no problems with light headedness. So I made another batch and plan to drink it during practice, again if I feel dizzy at all then Ill stop. But I figure I've lasted this long I may as well just see it through! Hope day 3 goes just as easy as day 2 has gone so far!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #208
Carly

Quote:
Well I think I'm going for it guys, it's 3 pm and I've still yet to break my fast 42 hours in and I feel fine. Its weird I'm not experiencing as much hunger as yesterday. I did my workout and I drank some of my homemade keto-rade for electrolytes and had no problems with light headedness. So I made another batch and plan to drink it during practice, again if I feel dizzy at all then Ill stop. But I figure I've lasted this long I may as well just see it through! Hope day 3 goes just as easy as day 2 has gone so far!
I've done 48-50 hours a handful of times. I really have had no desire to go longer, but agree that hunger was much less than I expected.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #209
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My pose in not quite a joyful as Portia's but here is a picture of me from the eclipse.
It is an AWESOME pic, Ms. Carly! What I like most is that you and I have the same expressions on our faces. What a day! So glad to have shared it with you in spirit.

Wanted to respond to your incredible post a page or two ago on the change in your feelings and reactions to food and weight management. As always, your words shine a light on what those of us who follow in your footsteps might experience. For the record, I am 100 percent confident that you will work through this and find out what's going on.

Quote:
Portia- yay we get you and Phoenix back on the same day! you are an inspiration to travel as much as you do and still maintain is near impossible how often are you doing the 3 day fasts? I still haven't done it, I'm 38 hours in right now and feel fine, if I didn't have practice tonight I think I'd try to go for it.... I'm going to try to push it further today cause you've inspired me! you look so good, healthy and happy what a great picture!
Thanks, Vlo. I'm excited to hear that you are going for a 2/3 day z-fast. As we all know, experiences do not reliably translate from one person to another, but _if_ you tolerate z-fasting well (no dizziness, huge drop in energy, queasiness) I think it is a great tool. Personally, I don't see why you can't do your sports when fasting and see what happens. Since I've been drinking veggie broth and zero-powerade, I have not had any sense of being drained, and am planning to see if I can play tennis this winter while z-fasting. For me, I don't feel drained the first three days anyway. Here's what I've been experiencing:

Day 1 I feel normal and am not usually hungry (so accustomed to not eating till late afternoon anyway) and feel as normal;
Day 2 is much the same, with spells of hunger that dissipate if I exercise or have some broth;
Day 3 is the toughest--my tummy gnaws at me pretty much non-stop and I have trouble focusing unless I'm busy, with a slight drop in energy;
Day 4 is a relief--gnawing goes away, with a few short bouts of hunger and energy rebounds;
Day 5 tends to be absolute heaven--no hunger and (with broth, salt, electrolytes) increased energy. This is the day I start to regret the need to stop, because not only do I feel a bit euphoric, but because by this time I can feel the adipose melting away. I haven't gone longer than five days (in 30 years, anyway), but since I tolerate z-cal so well, I plan to this winter, when I have the time. My head tells me that five days will maximize the benefits, but I want to see what happens if I go longer, just to know.

I'm on day 3 today (and looking forward to bedtime). For whatever reason--I guess because the garden is full of them--I've been nibbling on cucumbers this fast. They quell the tummy-hunger a bit. I have an idea of going six days this time, but it will depend on where my head is on Saturday. I will go five days unless I start to feel drained. When I stop, I'll go LC (<60 g). I'm gonna try to continue JUDDD LC next week in Florida, but who knows?

To answer your question, I've lost track, but I think I've done two five day z-fasts and two three day z-fasts since May. Don't know if it's that my bod has gotten accustomed to it, or if it's the broth/salts, or if it's both, but man I seem to tolerate it well. I sock back the protein the rest of the time.

The pre-Wyoming fast was interesting. Mon, Tue was z-cal. Wed was travel day, so I played it by ear (worried about Day 3 drag). But it went really well, so I carried on, pretty much trying to create a deficit for anticipated over-indulgence. Day 4 I felt great--we were in Cody and went to see the mustangs (just awesome), and ended up hiking all over the place. I had bars in my backpack, but I felt fantastic, so I continued to z-fast till lunch at about 1 PM. The amazing thing to me was that there was no transition back to normal eating--I just ate lunch (incredible Mexican, btw). This I know is an added benefit from the broth/salts.

I have discovered that they sell bone broth in cartons in addition to the veggie broth that I use. I was tempted to try it, and may in the future, but I didn't really want the calories. 2 cups of bone broth would be 100 cals, which is more than I want in a day (I've been keeping it under 30).

Quote:
This is very cool. Good luck! If you decide you like it, sometime we must do a z-fast together--or maybe we are now, just with me a day ahead of you. If you make it to Day 3, I'll be curious to see if you experience the gnawing that I inevitably do on 3. I have to say that one of the reasons I can tolerate Day 3 is because it is so satisfying to actually be hungry and just live with it. Good for the soul.

So Vlo--I was so taken by your recent post about eating disorders, and the question you posed about whether you could ever be cured. I'm sure there's a "What is an Eating Disorder" thread somewhere on LCF, which I will try to find, but in the meantime, your question set me off on a flurry of reading. I know that binge eating was recently reclassified as an ED, and I know that I have binge-eating disorder (like four of the six characteristics), but I can't say that I have ever thought that I would be cured of it. I consider myself in remission, but I am so very aware that food has owned me all my adult life, and always will. If I am vigilant, I can control it keep it at bay, but I can't see it ever going away. The three or four serious eating days I have fallen into this summer (always after a guest leaves or a trip ends) have confirmed that.

So does what I've read so far about the neuroscience of eating habits. Wow. Wow. Wow. I was particularly taken by reading about how the desire to eat (looking forward to eating) can be more enjoyable than the actual eating. This. Is. Me. I am wildly curious to find out if _knowing_ that this is actually a thing will help me identify when the pleasure of the desire should fade away and be replaced by the satisfaction of having eaten. I know that waiting is probably key.

So now I'm off to read more about dopamine and goal-directed vs. stimulus-directed eating behaviors. So weird that the stimulus of eating may itself trigger the habit of overeating. My mind be blown.

: heart:
Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #210
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Quick fly-by for me. As always I love to read these posts and I also want to go back and read up on the neuroscience. Knowing the science behind something often helps me to stick to it -that was my first foray in to Low Carb when I learned about metabolism on a cellular level and the body responses to certain nutritional deficits.
As always -Slow and others, thanks for the links and referrals!

Portia (Hey Lady!!! so glad to read your updates!) and Vlo- I do envy your ability to do long term zero fasts. I get light headed and spacey. and occasionally irritable....

Carly and Portia LOVE your eclipse pictures .

to everyone else too!!

Turns out I have to work over the holiday weekend which is a real bummer. well on Monday anyway. And then next weekend I travel to a conference where I will be through Wednesday. Conferences are such a challenge- there is food everywhere. Last year this particular conference at least tried to include healthier options such as crudite and hummus versus just carbs/sugar laden foods. I hope they do the same this year!