Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Fung Style Fasting Chat ~ AUGUST 2017

All are welcome here - if you are new to intermittent fasting, simply curious with questions, an old hand at it, or somewhere in between, jump right in!

Some quotes from Dr. Fung:

“If you think that calories cause obesity you can test this with a feeding study. What you find is that it always comes down to insulin.”
– Dr. Jason Fung

“In 1960, we ate three meals a day. There wasn’t much obesity. In 2014, we eat six meals a day. There is an obesity epidemic. So, do you really think we should eat six meals day?”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

“Lowers blood sugar levels Improves insulin sensitivity Increases energy Improves fat-burning Lowers blood cholesterol Prevents Alzheimer’s disease Extends life Reverses aging process Decreases inflammation”
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended

“Even the National Cholesterol Education Program admits, “The percentage of total fat in the diet, independent of caloric intake, has not been documented to be related to body weight.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

“Carbohydrates in their natural, whole, unprocessed form, perhaps with the exception of honey, always contain fiber—which is precisely why junk food and fast food are so harmful. The processing and the addition of chemicals change the food into a form that our bodies have not evolved to handle. That is exactly why these foods are toxic.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

“Simplistic arguments that “Carbs make you fat!” or “Calories make you fat!” or “Red meat makes you fat!” or “Sugar makes you fat!” do not fully capture the complexity of human obesity.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
DiamondDeb

From our July thread, posted earlier today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada_bing View Post
Hello everyone...I don't see an August "Fung" thread yet so I will post here. All has been going quite well with my chosen WOE. I have been OMAD since June 23 and have lost 10.6 lbs which is a hallelujah for me. I was totally stuck up at that high number and now I can see my feet....just kidding, I could see my feet but it was definitely getting harder to fold and bend and I dont think it was just age. I was just eating way too much and all the time!! This WOE has definitely shown me what I do need and what I don't need! I have even had a few meals that weren't exactly on point, however, I do believe that you must have a cheat once in awhile and so far, it has been worth it! Also, I found that I was missing having a breakfast once in awhile so guess what, I had breakfast for dinner (supper), that totally satisfied me!

Tell me, how are the rest of you doing?

Donna

David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Thanks for starting us up Deb!

I am plugging along, rarely eating before noon, and often not until 2:00 or 3:00 then having two meals.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
Bada_bing
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bada_bing
Stats: 168.2/155.2/140
WOE: LC and JUDD, IF
Start Date: Restart June 23/17
Thanks for the start up and repost of my message. Just trying to keep up with my IF buddies. So many people would think this WOE is starving, however, I find it works for me!! So I tell people who ask that I am "cutting down"! lmao....better than explaining!

Donna
Bada_bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Things are going well for me. I was at 124.4 yesterday which is in my preferred range (under 125lbs), but I'd like to see that inch down closer to 120lb. I'll just keep on keeping on and see if I can make that happen.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helewisa
Stats: 160/149/135-132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: October 31, 2015
IF and keto combo

Hi there!
I haven't been here in quite a while, but have come back from a losing battle with carbs. I had been doing JUDD, but I was far to loose with what I ate on my UP days Gained back the weight I had lost and then just ate all the ice cream, home made bread and butter, homemade cookies, etc that I could

I am too verbose, sorry. So, I find I have BG readings that put me in the prediabetic range and so hyperinsulinemia, likely a very fatty liver and UGH.

But, I started IF in March 2017, progressed to longer fasts quite easily (usually 20:4, but some 48 and 72 hr as well). I lost 10 lbs after a couple of months and then stalled.

I decided to try keto again to combine w/ IF and now have lost and additional 8 lbs or more.

The IF was definitely the kick-start and I know that it is an absolutely amazing "tool" to be used whenever I need it! The extended physiological benefits are absolutely astounding too, so it is such a "Win". Love it!!!
helewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
As I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of Ted Naiman.
As someone else said, he speaks my language!
For anyone who likes good videos that make sense of IR and low carb,
i recommend:
Ted naiman - exercise,
Ted Naiman - diet, and
Ted Naiman - insulin resistance on youtube.
When I feel the urge for carbs or eating too much, I will watch a video to help me
get back the healthy mindset.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 08-06-2017 at 01:06 PM..
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
Burning Bacon
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Burning Bacon
Stats: 157.8/145/125 at 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: 4/1/12 back on plan w/exercise
Good evening Mainer helewisa! I came over to this site tonight for some insight into intermittent fasting as I have been reading on line about "The Obesity Code" and noticed your posting so decided to say hi as we are in the same weight range and a Mainer too! I've never tried Judd but have been low carbing on and off for years! I look forward to learning more....Congrats on the weight loss and it does sound very beneficial!
Burning Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by helewisa View Post
Hi there!
I haven't been here in quite a while, but have come back from a losing battle with carbs. I had been doing JUDD, but I was far to loose with what I ate on my UP days Gained back the weight I had lost and then just ate all the ice cream, home made bread and butter, homemade cookies, etc that I could

I am too verbose, sorry. So, I find I have BG readings that put me in the prediabetic range and so hyperinsulinemia, likely a very fatty liver and UGH.

But, I started IF in March 2017, progressed to longer fasts quite easily (usually 20:4, but some 48 and 72 hr as well). I lost 10 lbs after a couple of months and then stalled.

I decided to try keto again to combine w/ IF and now have lost and additional 8 lbs or more.

The IF was definitely the kick-start and I know that it is an absolutely amazing "tool" to be used whenever I need it! The extended physiological benefits are absolutely astounding too, so it is such a "Win". Love it!!!
back!!!! Nice to "see" you around these parts. Sounds like you are doing well. I'm still a JUDDD girl, but throwing 48 hour fasts in wherever I feel up for it.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Eliza_Jazz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: way too much
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi everyone,

I am somewhat of an old timer here and was very active on the boards a while ago, but haven't been on LCF for the last couple of years or so. I have now joined the ranks of fasters and am looking forward to giving and receiving support here.

I am embarrassed to state how much I weigh currently. LC worked well for me for over 3 years, then my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in Sept 2015 and, to be honest, I just quit caring about what/when/how much I ate. He passed away this February, 5 days after his 46th birthday, and the last 6 months I grieved through bingeing. Needless to say, I gained over 25 lbs. in the last 6 months and the scale shows a scary number.

I am a big believer in the tremendous benefits of fasting and its abilities to not just provide WL, but also heal and balance our systems. I have read both the Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting twice each and will continue re-reading them. It is beyond doubt that diets fail and fasting is the way to go. My plan is to eventually end up on OMAD (one meal a day), but for now I am trying to stabilize on a 20/5 routine with 2 24-hour fasts per week.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked - 1,997....and over 5,500,000 steps
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:23 AM   #11
Carly

Eliza. I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad you have found us.

Alternate Day Fasting (JUDDD) has transformed my health in wonderful ways.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #12
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

Nice to "meet you"! Yes, I thought JUDD would be great, but as I said, I was out of control on the UP days ;-P
I am now in nutritional ketosis, w/ blood ketones today at 2.5mmol/l and feeling great. I just started another 72 hour fast as of last evening (1800).
I hope you will enjoy the book Obesity Code, I have my nose in "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes.
Enjoy the "summer" while it's here...or is it?!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #13
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

Dear Eliza,
God bless you, I am so sorry to hear of your husbands struggle and the pain that you both must have endured. I completely understand the eating-to-cope behavior, it is my nemesis.
However, you are sure onto a good thing with those 2 books and fasting is "the bomb"! Keep up and do not lose hope, the sun shines new each day, even when the clouds may be in the way!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #14
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

You are able to JUDDD and I am thrilled that you can! I had to go keto due to high BG readings...yikes! The fasting is tremendously powerful too, and I am becoming addicted!
Thanks for the welcome and smile :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/140/128 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi everyone,

I am somewhat of an old timer here and was very active on the boards a while ago, but haven't been on LCF for the last couple of years or so. I have now joined the ranks of fasters and am looking forward to giving and receiving support here.

I am embarrassed to state how much I weigh currently. LC worked well for me for over 3 years, then my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in Sept 2015 and, to be honest, I just quit caring about what/when/how much I ate. He passed away this February, 5 days after his 46th birthday, and the last 6 months I grieved through bingeing. Needless to say, I gained over 25 lbs. in the last 6 months and the scale shows a scary number.

I am a big believer in the tremendous benefits of fasting and its abilities to not just provide WL, but also heal and balance our systems. I have read both the Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting twice each and will continue re-reading them. It is beyond doubt that diets fail and fasting is the way to go. My plan is to eventually end up on OMAD (one meal a day), but for now I am trying to stabilize on a 20/5 routine with 2 24-hour fasts per week.
Hi Eliza,

We've been walking down a similar path - my husband of 40 + years died on June 4th after a long struggle with congestive heart failure. My heart goes out to you - losing your husband when he was so young to brain cancer - in addition to the grief we all go through there must be a great deal of anger and a sense of " this isn't fair!

Getting back on track with low carb and IF is such a healthy way to start taking care of yourself as you move through this transition! I very much understand how staying low carb can become a very low priority during such a rough time. I also gained about 30 pounds (up from 170 to 200) during my husband's last 8 months and indulged in a few sugar binges centered around holidays.

I started back on Keto shortly after his death and am now on an extended "Fung style fast".
I feel good and currently plan to keep the fast going until natural "true" hunger returns (or if I start feeling unwell of course).

Best wishes to you.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Eliza and Carolyn so sorry about the loss of your husbands.

Glad to have you here and fasting in whatever way works for you.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Thanks JayLynn.

You're doing so well! I remember when you first started IF, as well as when you hit your 100 lb. loss mark! Congratulations.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #18
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Hey Everybody,

For those of you new to this thread, I have been keto since January and started IF since about early March (IIRC). My doctors are keto-friendly and we have been having fun with testing every 3 months or so to see the data. Every test has been an improvement of numbers and I just wanted to share the latest blood panel done on Thursday and my doctor called with more great news yesterday and these are now posted in my portal:

August 2017:
A1C: 4.6
Fasting Insulin: 2.6
Fasting Blood Glucose: 71

May 2017:
A1C: 5.0
Fasting Insulin:6.8
Fasting Blood Glucose: 83

January 2017:
A1C :5.6

As far as insulin resistance - according to the HOMA-IR calculator, my score is 0.5 and I am insulin-sensitive.

Fasting does work, keep at it no matter what your woe is (Keto, JUDD, WW, etc.). Continue fasting and doing what works for you and your goals.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Hey Everybody,

For those of you new to this thread, I have been keto since January and started IF since about early March (IIRC). My doctors are keto-friendly and we have been having fun with testing every 3 months or so to see the data. Every test has been an improvement of numbers and I just wanted to share the latest blood panel done on Thursday and my doctor called with more great news yesterday and these are now posted in my portal:

August 2017:

May 2017:

January 2017:

As far as insulin resistance - according to the HOMA-IR calculator, my score is 0.5 and I am insulin-sensitive.

Fasting does work, keep at it no matter what your woe is (Keto, JUDD, WW, etc.). Continue fasting and doing what works for you and your goals.
Nice improvements!
Old 08-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #20
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Wonderful results - l'chaim!!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
DiamondDeb

Quote:
Hey Everybody,

August 2017:

May 2017:

January 2017:

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #22
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Thanks All!
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
Carly

Quote:
Hey Everybody,

August 2017:

May 2017:

January 2017:

Terrific results! I know the turn around in my blood work was remarkable for the first year on JUDDD and continues to be really good.

I don't follow a Keto plan, but I certainly fast.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #24
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrstmitch
Stats: 260/247/150
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: July, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi everyone,

Hi, Eliza,
So sorry for your loss!

I'm in the same "fall off the wagon" situation you described. I don't have as good of a reason as yours, though... I just ate everything in sight for way too long

So glad to see you back, though!

This is me... not giving up!
mrstmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwwilson View Post
Hi Eliza,

We've been walking down a similar path - my husband of 40 + years died on June 4th after a long struggle with congestive heart failure. My heart goes out to you - losing your husband when he was so young to brain cancer - in addition to the grief we all go through there must be a great deal of anger and a sense of " this isn't fair!
SO sorry for your loss, Carolyn!

Quote:
I started back on Keto shortly after his death and am now on an extended "Fung style fast".
I feel good and currently plan to keep the fast going until natural "true" hunger returns (or if I start feeling unwell of course).
I'm curious to see how long you've been going... I'm on my second day, and want to do an extended fast myself.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #26
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Today is day 49 (7weeks). (Shooting for 12 weeks.)

Learned a valuable lesson over the last few days. I was feeling really tired, otherwise well but just so very exhausted. Something on another thread made tealize that I was probably deficient in potassium as the electrolyte supplements I've been using only provide about 150 mg (recommended daily dose is around 4500). Popped an extended release 750 mg tab yesterday and within 20 minutes - problem solved. So, now I'll pay much more attention to making sure ALL of my electrolytes are supplemented to adequate levels.

I don't think this would be an issue for shorter fasts, and indeed, has never been a problem for me on 7 - 10 day fasts.

How is your fasting going so far?

Last edited by cgwwilson; 08-15-2017 at 05:01 PM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #27
mrstmitch
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Today is day 49 (7weeks). (Shooting for 12 weeks.)

Learned a valuable lesson over the last few days. I was feeling really tired, otherwise well but just so very exhausted. Something on another thread made tealize that I was probably deficient in potassium as the electrolyte supplements I've been using only provide about 150 mg (recommended daily dose is around 4500). Popped an extended release 750 mg tab yesterday and within 20 minutes - problem solved. So, now I'll pay much more attention to making sure ALL of my electrolytes are supplemented to adequate levels.

I don't think this would be an issue for shorter fasts, and indeed, has never been a problem for me on 7 - 10 day fasts.

How is your fasting going so far?
Hi, Carolyn,
WOW 7 weeks??
You're a ROCK STAR... no, make that a SUPER HERO ROCK STAR!
I'm on my third day... LOL I'm feeling REALLY good... I've been playing it by ear as far as how far I am going. I would like to make it for 10 days (this is my first extended fast), although if I go that far, I may as well do the 14 days that Dr. Fung recommends.

I'm also continuing to do my workouts at the gym, and I drink some extra bone broth (2 servings a day total) after a workout, and that really helps. I feel super energized.

Best of luck on meeting your 12 week goal!

Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #28
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Not any kind of star - just thoroughly tired of battling insulin resistance and all of it's "gifts" (not!!), and determined to resolve it. ( Or I suppose I should say "put it into remission").

I wouldn't recommend a very extended fast to anyone who doesn't have a good supply of fat reserves to burn, good health in general and experience with 7 - 14 day fasts so that they know what to expect and how their body responds.

Your doing great. It really is amazing how much energy is generated from day 3 or 4 on . . .
Hope everything continues to go smoothly as you head toward your 10 - 14 day goal.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #29
Carly

7 weeks
12 weeks

Wow!!!! I can do 48 hours with relative ease, but 3 months?!?

I didn't even know that humans could survive or survive healthily for 12 weeks with no food.

My hat is off to you!

Old 08-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #30
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Hi Carly,

It absolutely depends on how much stored food (i.e. fat stores) you have on board. For someone starting out at ideal body weight it would most likely be fatal. Average fat loss per day of fasting is 0.5 pounds. So, theoretically I could go for 140 days just to get to my ideal body weight of 124. (Starting weight was 194.)

The longest recorded, documented fast was well over a year. (Starting weight in excess of 400 pounds, ending weight 170 pounds.)

The human body is amazing. Not only in that it can survive and thrive in such incredibly diverse environments, but also that it can store enough reserves in times of plenty to get someone through months of famine.

Are you doing two day fasts now or mostly sticking with the JUDD protocol??