Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
honeypie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: honeypie
AUGUST STILLMAN'S THREAD - Let's Make the End of Summer COUNT!

Welcoming everyone to our new August Stillman's thread! Let's make this month fantastic, and let's cheer each other ON!!!
Week 4, 07/29: -5.1 lbs
honeypie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2017, 05:01 AM   #2
honeypie
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone!

New low for me today, to be able to post a positive post on the first page of our new August thread, and to start this thread off RIGHT!!

Unfortunately I had bounced up 3/4 of a lb 2 days ago, so my new low today is solid, but less dramatic than it would have been otherwise.

I am unfortunately not going to be able to hit the Stillman's coveted dream loss of 5 lbs per week this week by my official weigh date tomorrow, BUT!! I don't care, because the little losses all add up, and in the weeks when I lose NOTHING because of TOM, I will be thinking back on weeks like this one, and WISHING for a loss of any kind.

So it is important to always stay positive, especially if when we know we have been 100% ON PLAN!

Jeanie, to your post of yesterday; why do you think you're not hitting 30g of protein per meal? You would easily hit that with a portion of Greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder. Same with lean burgers. Same with a larger chicken leg.

If you are eating eggs on their own, then yes, you will fall slightly short and you will need to eat some meat alongside them to get >30g.

The other thing with getting more than 30g per meal though, is that it will curb your hunger.

Sometimes I hit 60g for my first meal, then I'm fine till dinner.

Al.... so glad you had a great time! I think your menu sounds really super too! Such a great variety of proteins OF COURSE will never make you go up on the scale! Only evil carbs do that! So, ENJOY that new menu!

DL - are you still hanging in their with just quest PB flavor? I want to try two more!

Bratty and Mim - gone, but not forgotten! haha! Come on, ladies! New thread, new start! We want you here within us!

Happy Friday, ladies! Hope to catch you all here again later!

Last edited by honeypie; 08-04-2017 at 05:04 AM..
Old 08-04-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Honeypie
I sometimes get 30 grams I am sure, but my yogurt has 15 grams and I use half a scoop powder that is 7 grams.
Layman said more than 30 grams is wasted and can be stored as fat, but less does not give the thermogenic effect and that we should be consistent day to day and meal to meal. Do I have that right? My dinner is probably over the 30 grams, lunch probably 20 and I rarely eat breakfast. So I am thinking if I followed Layman's recomendations I may get more of the thermogenic burn?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-04-2017 at 05:14 AM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
honeypie
Senior LCF Member

I don't think he says anywhere that more than 30g is stored as fat, Jeanie. He specifically says to consume at least 30g per meal. So that means, 30g or more.

Additionally, protein is never "stored as fat." A minimal amount of protein might be converted to a minimal amount of glucose, in certain instances,.... but even that, does not "turn to fat.". It is burned by the body, and readily used by the brain as it's primary source of fuel in that instance.

I use 0% organic greek from WF and it has about 24g protein per serving, and my scoop of protein powder has the same amount. So the macros will clearly vary widely, according to brands.

You should never ever ever be afraid of protein "being stored as fat", and particularly not on Stillmans. That is completely incorrect, and biochemically not possible, in the way that I think people misunderstand it to be.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay, thanks. I just went back and read your post again in the other thread regarding Layman's recommendations. I do need to focus on consistently getting at least the 30 grams!

Old 08-04-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: deanslist
Stats: 5'3.5" 185/123.8/120-123
WOE: Stillman diet/flexibility on weekends
Start Date: 1999 (Atkins) Lost most of my weight
Hi everyone! I weighed today and stayed the same, but I lost another's half inch off my hips and another half inch off my waist. I'm pumped about that, I can see I am shrinking. Last night someone in the group made a comment about me 'being so little.' I don't know why it always surprises me to hear that because I've never seen myself as that. I enjoyed the offhanded compliment anyway!

Honeypie I am loving the peanut butter quest protein- when you open the tub it smells like fresh peanuts, not the synthetic crap many of them resemble. I'm almost through with the tub already (emptied it in about a week, lol) so maybe ill see if any of the other flavors look interesting.

It was so cold yesterday- barely got up to 60.. today will be nearing 80 again so thats more like it!

Went to the gym after work and ran two 10 minute miles. Just to keep up a little somethin somethin.

Last edited by deanslist; 08-04-2017 at 05:51 AM..
deanslist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 AM   #7
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Woo hoo Melissa! Inches are what really matter in the big picture!!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #8
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Woo hoo Melissa! Inches are what really matter in the big picture!!
Thanks Jeanie!!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 194/121/125 5'2"
WOE: QWL/Inches Off
Start Date: 1/3/15
Good morning ladies!! Thanks for the new thread Honeypie!! I extended my week with a vacation day! My little one was up all night with a summer cold, which meant I was up too. Perfect day weather wise, so we're just gonna take it easy and try to enjoy it.

I'm curious, would you guys say the protein powder is safe for kids? My boys are not big meat eaters, (eggs and meatballs only- lol) but if I could put it in their smoothies and yogurt, I would love to.

Hooray for exercise and pounds and inches lost!! Can't say the same over here. lol. I'm up 2 lbs after my fat fest, but darn it was worth it. Lolol. (I did peel the skin from my chk but didn't try to hard to remove the other crispy bits this week, and I also was eating the 85% g turkey that hubby did not drain. I feel really good though with the extra fat. Much more energy this week than in a while.

Thank you for all the information!! I can't count my protein just like I can't count my calories!!! I'm so lazy when it comes to counting and exercise!! Lololol

Have a great day!! BBL. xoxo
W3: -5 lbs. / W11: -2 lbs. / W19: -3 lbs. / W3: -4
W4: -1 lbs. / W12: -2 lbs. / W20: -2 lbs. / W4:
W5: -3 lbs. / W13: -3 lbs. / W21: -0 lbs.
W6: -4 lbs. / W14: -3 lbs. / W22: -2 lbs.
W7: -4 lbs. / W15: -2 lbs. / W23: -5 lbs.
W8: -2 lbs. / W16: -5 lbs. / W24: -1 lbs.
aleriaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Lol AL, I can't track either it makes me resentful but after years of dieting I can do a rough count in my head. Hope your little one feels better soon!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
honeypie
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick drive-by to say, if I had kids Al, I would not encourage them or allow them to skip meat, just because I know I can hide protein powder in their food. If you stop insisting on the correct portions of meat as a mother when they're younger, I don't think they'll suddenly grow to eat it as a primary fuel source as they get bigger.

The main problem with counting on protein powder as a replacement, esp in growing kids, is that it does not have the same nutritional profile as meat. Or as any whole food.

Think of it this way: everything in meat in alive. Amino acids, micronutrients, everything. And they are going to be of the widest spectrum, and of the highest quality, for that very reason.

If you replace fresh food, with a dehydrated powder that is made to be shelf stable for years, you can imagine that it's not the same thing, or the same nutritional profile at all, right?

Everyone can always think of choices like this, and in terms of the quality of what we're ingesting, versus just isolated vitamins, or isolated macronutrients.

The human body needs high quality nutrients, and of the widest spectrum. Fresh whole foods will always beat vitamins, supplements, and protein powders.

I would keep that in mind, especially for growing kids.

Obviously it's a ongoing judgement call, but I hope this is helpful to make your decisions

Hope you also get some rest today at home!

I am so nervous about tomorrow's weigh-in, you guys! Ack! Plus it is going to have to be at 4am.... which already means.. bad! Yikes.

Last edited by honeypie; 08-04-2017 at 09:27 AM..
Old 08-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

You will have a great weigh in honeypie! Measure too!

Old 08-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

It seems I am the only binge eater here! Today was bad bad bad....
Any suggestions on breaking the cycle? I know eating breakfast would be hard for me as I truly am not hungry in the morning but I wonder if starting the day with a high protein breakfast would help??

Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
honeypie
Senior LCF Member

I don't think you have to eat when you're not hungry jeanie, but yes, for sure eat a lot of protein for your first meal whenever that is. What does a typical day's food look like for you right now? Are you eating enough? Are you satisfied with the allowable choices? Because if you're doing something that is too strict to be sustainable, or "too" anything to be sustainable, then you have to tweak it, until you are ok on it.

However if you are having binging issues since you had the sugar after having been on-plan for awhile before that, that could just be from that. I don't know if that was the case,... but it could be.

Tell us more, and we'll try and help you to figure it out.

I am traveling for most of the day tomorrow from 4am, but I will check in when I can.

Let us know, because we are all definitely here for you! And here to help you get back on track if you want to.

House buying stress, no air con in the middle of the summer, all of these things are hard. But tomorrow is a new day!

You should commit to eating whichever foods make it easiest for you to get back on plan for several consecutive days. That might be cheese or higher fat or whatever, a pound of bacon.

3 low carb, high fat days, for example... would be a lot better for someone than continuing to try and white knuckle Stillmans, after having been off plan. I think that is notoriously brutal.

I would literally give myself 72 hrs on <20g carbs to get back on track, and cheese and bacon at that stage for me would be GREAT, if it meant that I could get 3 days behind me.

I think going from THAT to Stillmans, is way less hard, than trying to go from non-lc binging straight to Stillmans.

Check in here, and talk to us. We are here together with you!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Jeanie!! I think eating 30g of protein for breakfast has really helped me. I actually AM hungry in the morning, but used to force myself to fast and hated it. By noon it was like my stomach was eating itself. I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore!

I think honeypie's advice is really good- maybe trying higher fat for a while to see if that helps? I know you don't do well on super high fat, but maybe raising it a bit.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #16
honeypie
Senior LCF Member

So bummed. Well I have no idea how much I weigh, because my 4am weight was the same as my weight yesterday. And there is no other time I can weigh myself today, and tomorrow I have to be out of the house before 5am also.

So I have no choice but to call my 1week loss for this week a crappy 2.1 lbs.

My low is sometimes as late as 10 am or 11am, depending on how late I've gone to bed.

So this 2.1 loss for the week taken at 4am is essentially worthless.

Oh well. It is what it is, and if I've lost more which isn't reflected in this number, then it will show up by next weekend, when I can log my official weight at a normal hour. Ugh.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:23 AM   #17
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Honeypie
I am sure you lost more! Your food and calorie counts have been excellent all week!! It will catch up when you can weigh later

Old 08-05-2017, 04:33 AM   #18
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the support ladies. I did get back on track for a few days after that initial off plan day. But as always one deviation tends to change my mindset. I begin thinking well just another WOE you didn't stick to, then I struggle to fully commit my mind to it as strongly as when I was going strong the first few weeks. I still believe high protein works very well for me, so I am going to go right back to what I was doing but I am going to make sure I eat more protein at my first meal to see if I can get more appetite suppression.

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-05-2017 at 04:35 AM..
Old 08-05-2017, 05:28 AM   #19
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie View Post
So bummed. Well I have no idea how much I weigh, because my 4am weight was the same as my weight yesterday. And there is no other time I can weigh myself today, and tomorrow I have to be out of the house before 5am also.

So I have no choice but to call my 1week loss for this week a crappy 2.1 lbs.

My low is sometimes as late as 10 am or 11am, depending on how late I've gone to bed.

So this 2.1 loss for the week taken at 4am is essentially worthless.

Oh well. It is what it is, and if I've lost more which isn't reflected in this number, then it will show up by next weekend, when I can log my official weight at a normal hour. Ugh.
I'm sorry you're bummed. I always get wonky numbers when I weigh very early in the morning. What about inches? Do you feel smaller? I agree with Jeanie, there's no way you're NOT losing!!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie View Post
Just a quick drive-by to say, if I had kids Al, I would not encourage them or allow them to skip meat, just because I know I can hide protein powder in their food. If you stop insisting on the correct portions of meat as a mother when they're younger, I don't think they'll suddenly grow to eat it as a primary fuel source as they get bigger.

The main problem with counting on protein powder as a replacement, esp in growing kids, is that it does not have the same nutritional profile as meat. Or as any whole food.

Think of it this way: everything in meat in alive. Amino acids, micronutrients, everything. And they are going to be of the widest spectrum, and of the highest quality, for that very reason.

If you replace fresh food, with a dehydrated powder that is made to be shelf stable for years, you can imagine that it's not the same thing, or the same nutritional profile at all, right?

Everyone can always think of choices like this, and in terms of the quality of what we're ingesting, versus just isolated vitamins, or isolated macronutrients.

The human body needs high quality nutrients, and of the widest spectrum. Fresh whole foods will always beat vitamins, supplements, and protein powders.

I would keep that in mind, especially for growing kids.

Obviously it's a ongoing judgement call, but I hope this is helpful to make your decisions

Hope you also get some rest today at home!

I am so nervous about tomorrow's weigh-in, you guys! Ack! Plus it is going to have to be at 4am.... which already means.. bad! Yikes.
Thank you for taking time to respond honeypie! Great advice!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #21
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie- Sorry you're having a tough time. I hate to speak negative of QWL but it does set one up for a downfall. The restrictive nature of it can definitely mess with our heads once we get a taste of something good. So you are never alone here!! The girls have given you some great advice. The best thing you can do is cut the play time short and jump right back on plan! We are rooting you on. Its probably gonna be a tough few days, but thank goodness you are a tough cookie!! HUGS!! xoxox
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #22
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

2 pounds is 2 pounds honeypie!!! and its a minus 2, so THAT IS GREAT!!!!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #23
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

I went back to chicken breast yesterday and it was awesome. For real. It was really really good. At the restaurant, they had a dish of (1) or (2) chk breasts, and came with two sides. I ordered the (2) of course, and a double order of fries. This restaurant plan works so well. They had the breasts sliced almost in half, so it was really (4) on my plate!!!! And they were yummy and "charbroiled", I only added salt and pepper!! Ate every last bite. (NOT THE FRIES) Then I got home and defrosted more chicken and begged hubby to "charbroil" them.

Doesnt charbroil make chicken breast sound so good?????

No?

OK, Im just the crazy chicken lady... lololol
Old 08-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #24
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleriaaa View Post
Jeanie- Sorry you're having a tough time. I hate to speak negative of QWL but it does set one up for a downfall. The restrictive nature of it can definitely mess with our heads once we get a taste of something good. So you are never alone here!! The girls have given you some great advice. The best thing you can do is cut the play time short and jump right back on plan! We are rooting you on. Its probably gonna be a tough few days, but thank goodness you are a tough cookie!! HUGS!! xoxox
Thanks! Back at it today for sure!! I just need to make sure I eat enough, how crazy is that?!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #25
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Eat meat! and more meat! and then some more! Whats on your menu today??

I wont bore you with any more of my charbroiled chicken chants..
Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #26
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha!! Charbroiled chicken chants!! I've been eating lots of 90% lean ground turkey and I keep eating it whenever I want! Had a bowl before bed.. lol
Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #27
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Perfect DL!!! Do you use mustard or hot sauce? I love the spicy deli mustard on turkey.

I'll prob do a ground beef bowl for dinner later. Meat bowls are the bomb!! Ive been fighting the cravings for ketchup. So far so good. The sriracha sauce is keeping me at bay.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do like spicy mustard- I also eat a fair amount of sugar free ketchup- do you think that's bad?
Old 08-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #29
aleriaaa
Major LCF Poster!

No, not at all. Its bad for me cause I would use too much
Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

I have had a chicken thigh, skinless of course! I also had a lowfat premeire protein shake (30 grams protein) with an added half scoop protein powder blended with ice. The shake is probably a no no but today my focus is on squashing the carb cravings!! I use the spicy brown mustard