Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MikeRatcliffe
Began a water fast

I have recognized that I am addicted to food and, like anything you can be addicted to, one of the best things I can do is reset the habit of eating when I don't need to. For me, I think the best way to do this is a water fast.

Ultimately I would like to be able to participate in Taekwondo with my 3 4-year-olds.

I am not sure what weight I started at as my scales showed an error when I stood on them (a sure sign I need to do something) but I am guessing at around 135kg (297lbs).

I have done all my research (signed up with the diet doctor and watched all his videos) so I know how to do an extended fast safely. I am on day 4 now and still don't feel hungry, which is funny because I was eating plenty of carbs before starting the water fast.

Just peed on a keto stick and the color was off the chart, I reckon about 17 mmol and 0 glucose. This seems a little high to me but of course this is a urine test so I am not sure how to interpret that result... I am guessing that I am in nutritional ketosis but my muscles are not absorbing any ketones yet, hence feeling a little weak and foggy?

With a result that high I suspect that I will feel like doing laps of the country when my brain and muscles start making use of them. The level in my urine will surely go down at that point too.

I plan on getting a meter to read by blood ketones and glucose just to stay safe as this is an extended fast.

I am not sure how long I will do it as it has been really easy so far and I have plenty of fat to burn but I won't go over 40 days, maybe just a week... I figure that I will do it whilst it feels good and if I start getting dizzy or consistently hungry I will stop and gradually start eating again.
MikeRatcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/156/124 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Hi Mike,

Congratulations on taking this all important step. Did I read that correctly - you're Daddy to 4 year old triplets ?! Wow!

If you're a DietDoctor member then you've got one of the best resources out there. As you must already know the main electrolyte to pay attention to on a shorter fast is sodium. I speak from experience that not getting enough salt will make you feel tired and possibly light headed / dizzy.

I'm on day 52 of a modified (Jason Fung style) fast where I have one large coffee with 250 calories of heavy cream per day. I also drink 1-2 cups of chicken boullion per day for the salt and supplement with a good multivitamin, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous and calcium as well as CoQ10.

As long as you are starting out healthy, aren't on any medications and are very careful to listen to your body's signals you should be able to do an unsupervised fast. If you do go past the 2 week mark then research refeeding syndrome before you break your fast just to be cautious. . .

I wouldn't worry too much about what level of ketosis you're in - if you are fasting. You should notice increased energy, etc. soon.

Hope your journey goes smoothly! And again - good move!

Last edited by cgwwilson; 08-18-2017 at 10:28 AM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome Mike!! As Carolyn has said, you have a fantastic resource. I would only suggest Dr. Fung's blog as a resource for reading on the specifics of water fasts. He seems to be the #1 expert along with his research assistant Megan Ramos.

Both you, Mike and you, Carolyn are very impressive with your fasting. I can't seem to get past 1 day. Although I did do 4 days recently due to enormous stress - just couldn't eat and knew it would be fine.

In respect to the pee sticks. They are not very accurate and if your stix are really dark, that may be a sign that you are not getting enough fluids. It is a bit of a gentle balance to drink enough but not too much.

Another tip I came across that really seems to help with fasts is to take a pinch of good quality salt (sea) and allow that to dissolve on your tongue. Having enough sodium is key to retaining the other electrolytes!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwwilson View Post
Hi Mike,

Congratulations on taking this all important step. Did I read that correctly - you're Daddy to 4 year old triplets ?! Wow!
Yes, it is very hard having three the same age as it is harder to stop them e.g. biting and stuff because they all copy each other and getting all three to stop at once is pretty much impossible. Anyone with multiples knows the problem well but we also get three times the smiles.

Quote:
If you're a DietDoctor member then you've got one of the best resources out there. As you must already know the main electrolyte to pay attention to on a shorter fast is sodium. I speak from experience that not getting enough salt will make you feel tired and possibly light headed / dizzy.
I tried a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water earlier today and couldn't drink it. I have been putting it on my tongue instead but putting it in some stock would make sense. I don't eat beef but I do eat chicken so I could do bone broth but our supermarket sells some liquid broth that is made the same way so I will use that if I need to.

Quote:
I'm on day 52 of a modified (Jason Fung style) fast where I have one large coffee with 250 calories of heavy cream per day. I also drink 1-2 cups of chicken boullion per day for the salt and supplement with a good multivitamin, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous and calcium as well as CoQ10.
Day 52? Wow, that really is impressive. I could start the heavy cream thing if I start to feel hungry. Don't get me wrong, I have had some pangs but nothing overwhelming. I am taking epson salt baths, magnesium supplements, vitamin B12 supplements and multivitamins. The B vitamins make me feel good for some reason so I don't see any reason why not.

Quote:
As long as you are starting out healthy, aren't on any medications and are very careful to listen to your body's signals you should be able to do an unsupervised fast. If you do go past the 2 week mark then research refeeding syndrome before you break your fast just to be cautious. . .
Thanks, I will read Dr Fung's article about it. I know I need to start very gently.

I do take a very low dose blood pressure medication for migraines but know I need to keep an eye on my blood pressure and reduce the medication if my blood pressure gets too low.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about what level of ketosis you're in - if you are fasting. You should notice increased energy, etc. soon.
I'm not super bothered by it at all, more intrigued.

Quote:
Hope your journey goes smoothly! And again - good move!
Thanks and well done for doing so well with your extended fast.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
In respect to the pee sticks. They are not very accurate and if your stix are really dark, that may be a sign that you are not getting enough fluids. It is a bit of a gentle balance to drink enough but not too much.

Another tip I came across that really seems to help with fasts is to take a pinch of good quality salt (sea) and allow that to dissolve on your tongue. Having enough sodium is key to retaining the other electrolytes!
Good point about the fluids. If I drink too much water then things get a little watery toilet wise but if I drink too little I feel awful. I have been using himalayan sea salt because it tastes really nice.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Nady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nady
When you break the fast, be sure to keep a food diary~ add foods back slowly~ you might have a sensitivity that is causing your urge to overeat. It's how I discovered it was wheat gluten that was causing my eczema.

Fasting is a great way to clear the system so you can find the food plan that works best for you!
Nady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nady View Post
When you break the fast, be sure to keep a food diary~ add foods back slowly~ you might have a sensitivity that is causing your urge to overeat. It's how I discovered it was wheat gluten that was causing my eczema.

Fasting is a great way to clear the system so you can find the food plan that works best for you!
A food diary is a great idea. When I finish my fast I am planning on eating LCHF. I have been low carb before but never with high fat... I was definitely eating too much protein to try and stay full.

To be honest, I thought people that were saying to eat more fat were mad. The piece of the puzzle I was missing was the fact that fat doesn't result in a sugar spike and it stops spikes from any carbs.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/218/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Hi Mike. Saw a program about a guy who did a 42 day water fast. He lost weight the first few weeks but then stalled in the last couple of weeks. A water fast sounds like a great way to start, but you may well be able to lose just as effectively on a very low carb diet. Anyway, good luck and keep posting as it will be interesting to follow your journey. Without being super strict, I've gone down from 123>99 in the last year, and even that, makes a huge difference.

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 AM   #9
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/153/145
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
How exciting! Good for you!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
Nady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nady
How is it going? Did you break the fast yet?
Nady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:12 AM   #11
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

What's happening Mike? How's it going?

Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/156/124 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Mike's posting over on "Other Plans - Fung Fasting" thread.

He's doing great - still fasting.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #13
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Mike's posting over on "Other Plans - Fung Fasting" thread.

He's doing great - still fasting.
Thanks Carolyn, I will check it out.