Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Coke Zero Sugar

Has anyone tried it yet? All the Coke Zero original has been replaced by the new formula down here, dubbed "Coke Zero Sugar." I'm sad - Coke Zero was my one vice. I don't drink tons of it. I ration it to one can a day. My version of Miller Tme! Why, oh WHY, did they have to mess with my beloved CZ???

If you've tried the new formulation can you please post your review for how you like it, and compare it to the original? I'm almost dreading the prospect of trying it, so hope someone can break it to me gently...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I actually like it. It's a little less sweet and a little less violently bubbly! It's also very very good with a shot of Jim Beam Devil's Cut or Jack Daniels...just sayin'!

They are NOT gonna mess with the Coke Zero Cherry, decaf, or one other flavor, I think lime? from what I read on the Coke website.

I have only found the Zero Sugar in the plastic 16 ounce bottles so far, so that's what I've been buying, but I saw Costco had it in the cans by the case so will get that next time.

I LOVE Coke Zero so figured I'd be unhappy with this formuation. It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I really do like it.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Char!! You just made my day. If YOU like it, it has to be good. Now I don't feel so bad about buying a 12 pack of cans. That's the size they seem to have rolled out down here.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Ann Lytle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
I was wondering what it's sweetened with, so looked it up. It's sweetener is Aspartame, so that makes it a no, no for me. Sounded good............................Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

Yeah, the sweeteners are the same, they changed something else about the formula supposedly.

Cat, LOL, well, hopefully my taste buds and your taste buds like the same thing!

Old 08-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I like it, but DH doesn't. I think it has to do with the carbonation. I like a slightly flat soda. He like his as bubbly as possible.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I like it, but DH doesn't. I think it has to do with the carbonation. I like a slightly flat soda. He like his as bubbly as possible.
Woooooo ... bubbly! I'm like your hubby. The fizzier, the better. But both you and Char have made the observation that its not as fizzy as the original. That could work, provided the carbonation sticks around. Some sodas fizz like mad when first opened, then a half hour later, they're as flat as water.

Now, I'm thinking I've got to get out and get me some, pronto! Need to check this out. I can chill a can down fast in a bowl of ice water. Now I'm actually looking forward to trying it! Anyone seen my car keys?!

Last edited by Baricat; 08-29-2017 at 02:38 PM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:04 AM   #8
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/234/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Love it. Tastes like real Coke. I try not to overdo it on diet soft drinks, but they are nice. especially if you drink them as a treat.

KG to goal: -13.0 kg

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I really didn't notice a difference at all, but can't say that I was really trying to find a difference. I love Coke Zero and enjoyed the Zero Sugar just as much.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
CarolynF

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I've been looking everywhere for this stuff.....

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Charski
Gadget Gal

I got some at WalMart in the 16 oz. plastic bottles, then the same at Lucky, now I see Costco has it in the 12 oz. cans.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
CarolynF

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Our Wallie doesn't carry it..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Kelibean81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kelibean81
Stats: 165/139/130 5'7"
WOE: LCHF maintenance
Start Date: 3/1/13 Restart 4/4/16
Interesting thread.... I've tried both and I actually think the new Coke Zero Sugar tastes sweeter than the original Coke Zero. I liked the original better and I'm very disappointed with the change; not sure why they had to mess with a good thing!

Kelly

1st Goal: 135 - MET on July 29, 2016!
Final Goal: 130 - MET on August 26, 2016!
Stretch Goal: 125
Maintenance Range: 130-135
Kelibean81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #14
artemis19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
I didn't notice a difference either.
artemis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:29 AM   #15
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelibean81 View Post
Interesting thread.... I've tried both and I actually think the new Coke Zero Sugar tastes sweeter than the original Coke Zero. I liked the original better and I'm very disappointed with the change; not sure why they had to mess with a good thing!
I find Diet Coke has a drier taste to it.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:22 AM   #16
Kelibean81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kelibean81
Stats: 165/139/130 5'7"
WOE: LCHF maintenance
Start Date: 3/1/13 Restart 4/4/16
Hi Avocado - true. But I also find Diet Coke to have that "diet" taste that Coke Zero did not. I don't mind Diet Coke but the original Coke Zero was my fav!

Kelly

1st Goal: 135 - MET on July 29, 2016!
Final Goal: 130 - MET on August 26, 2016!
Stretch Goal: 125
Maintenance Range: 130-135
Kelibean81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
Charski
Gadget Gal

I'm gonna see if Lucky has it in cans today so I can compare how that stacks up against the 16 oz plastic bottles I've been buying.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #18
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

It's all over down here in southeast Florida. I've seen it at Walgreen's, Walmart, and Publix, where I bought 3 -12 packs of cans this week, at 4 for $13.

I tried a chilled can of each, new and old formulations today, side-by-side, newly opened.

On sweetness, I have to agree with Kelibean81. I find it to be just a smidge sweeter than the old formulation.

I like it. A lot. The differences are quite subtle, but the new one has a lighter, fresher, brighter, cleaner finish on the palate. I was so devastated when I realized they had changed my once-daily treat, but I needn't have worried. This stuff is now more addictive than before...
Old 08-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #19
Charski
Gadget Gal

I got four 12-packs of it today at Lucky. It was on a buy 2, get 2 free deal, which of course isn't that much of a deal when you figure they're charging you $6 per 12 pack - but four for $12 I was willing to pay. I like four for $9 or $10 better but I'll just keep an eye out for those, or most likely, just buy the case of it at Costco.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:11 AM   #20
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I tried it and it tastes about the same to me. I went looking for the differences and came across an article in the Huffington Post which lists the ingredients

Quote:
Here’s the list of ingredients in Coke Zero:

Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine.

And here’s the list of ingredients in Coke Zero Sugar:

Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine
They also listed the ingredients for diet coke. If I could find a diet coke here in Toronto that didn't have acesulfame potassium, I would be so happy as it is said to raise insulin. Sadly, we get a different concoction that includes a.p..

Quote:
Here’s the list of ingredients in Diet Coke:

Carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate, natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #21
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Some have said that the Zero Sugar has less carbonation than Coke Zero original, but I didn't find that to be the case, either after the initial opening, nor when I rechecked at a hour after opening.

I didn't think they had changed the ingredients, as it does have to keep that same taste, more or less. Instead, they probably altered the amount of an ingredient or two, very slightly. The changes are relatively minor and subtle, as noted before. If it were too far afield of the original, there is no doubt they'd lose a lot of regular, dependable customers.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #22
Charski
Gadget Gal

I had one in the can today. I still say for me it's a little less carbonated and a little less sweet - but not enough to make me quit buying it.

DH and I just split one of the 16 ounce bottles I still have, with a shot of bourbon each! I love that Jim Beam Devil's Cut stuff - it's really tasty poured into a tall glass, lots of ice, and filled with the Coke Zero Sugar. I never knew I liked bourbon til now!

We went to dinner with my sister and her DBF last week. I ordered a tall Jack and Diet Coke, which was also pretty tasty. Her DBF, whom we had not met before, asked me if I liked bourbon and I said, "NO, generally, I don't, but I love it with the diet Coke!" With the Zero Sugar it's even better and that Devil's Cut is awesome stuff.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: Fat / Less Fat / Happy
WOE: Meat, eggs, butter
Start Date: June 2012
I've written furious letters to coca-cola about this. It's "New Coke" all over again. It tastes like Tab -- which is to say awful to the point of offense.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #24
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
I've written furious letters to coca-cola about this. It's "New Coke" all over again. It tastes like Tab -- which is to say awful to the point of offense.
It's always fascinating to hear how others perceive the taste of something. After reading this forum for awhile, I'm completely convinced that there are distinct, idiosyncratic neurological differences from one individual to another that affect how their olfactory sensors and taste buds perceive smells and tastes, and how their brains process those messages.

To me and others, it was the same or only minimally different from the original. To Z, the differences were so striking as to be offensive. The human body is amazing in its commonalities, even more so in its uniqueness.

I feel bad for you, Z! If I found Zero Sugar as different as you did, I'd be pretty darned upset, too. I anticipated feeling that way when I first heard that they had changed the formula. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the changes were so slight that either version would work for me. From what you said, I now know I really lucked out and dodged a bullet on this one.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #25
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
It's always fascinating to hear how others perceive the taste of something. After reading this forum for awhile, I'm completely convinced that there are distinct, idiosyncratic neurological differences from one individual to another that affect how their olfactory sensors and taste buds perceive smells and tastes, and how their brains process those messages.

To me and others, it was the same or only minimally different from the original. To Z, the differences were so striking as to be offensive. The human body is amazing in its commonalities, even more so in its uniqueness.

I feel bad for you, Z! If I found Zero Sugar as different as you did, I'd be pretty darned upset, too. I anticipated feeling that way when I first heard that they had changed the formula. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the changes were so slight that either version would work for me. From what you said, I now know I really lucked out and dodged a bullet on this one.
Very true, my DH is a "supertaster" and especially sensitive to bitter tastes. He tastes bitterness in things that just taste fine to me. He's particularly aware of this in the beer we brew so some of them end up being MY beers because he doesn't like the level of bitterness in them. OH SHUCKS!

I had that can of Zero Sugar yesterday and I notice only a slight difference between that and the "old version" - certainly not enough to make me stop buying it.

They DID say they were NOT changing the cherry, lime, or no caffeine versions of the Zero so those may be an option for folks who don't care for the new "regular" version. I really like the cherry Zero.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:26 PM   #26
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Char, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!

I'm so glad I like the Zero Sugar. Never been a fan of any of the various flavors. Just a Coke Zero purist.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #27
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
I drink, maybe, 4 carbonated drinks a year. I just don't care for them.
I picked up the DCZ and I was surprised at how much I liked it.
It was (to me) less fizzy - not flat, less acidic(not as much burn) and less sweet.
I really did like it!

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #28
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post

Great post. I completely agree.

I find it bizarre that my young son can't eat fruit because he finds it incredibly sweet, and am sure there must be something in his taste buds to make it that way. He doesn't candy either, and used to only eat dark chocolate.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #29
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I drink, maybe, 4 carbonated drinks a year. I just don't care for them.
I picked up the DCZ and I was surprised at how much I liked it.
It was (to me) less fizzy - not flat, less acidic(not as much burn) and less sweet.
I really did like it!
This is exactly my take on it. After drinking a few of the canned DCZs now, I still have that opinion. I think the ones in the plastic bottles seem a bit more carbonated to me than the cans, but not much difference other than that. I really like it too!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #30
jessluvzbacon
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessluvzbacon
Stats: 252/159.8/150
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: June 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelibean81 View Post
Hi Avocado - true. But I also find Diet Coke to have that "diet" taste that Coke Zero did not. I don't mind Diet Coke but the original Coke Zero was my fav!
I'm with you there.
It tastes more like Diet Coke now. Which I HATE. So not as bad as Diet Coke, but more like.
I'm not happy.
It's tolerable though. Which is a good thing since Coke doesn't care about what I do or do not like...

Journal:http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=884031
jessluvzbacon is offline   Reply With Quote