Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
WanderingStars
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WanderingStars
Woo-hoo, I am at my first target weight! What now?

Seven weeks ago, I began a very-low carb diet and started to post here. I have always been thin without much dieting through my life, just genetic I've been told, I'm Asian-American and small framed, and the women in my family are all small.

Last year or the year before, I packed on over 20 lbs. and grew out of all of my clothes I was still at a "normal" weight of 122 lbs., but I'd increased 2-3 clothing sizes and gained 2 1/2 inches on my waist. I think this was because my job is somewhat sedentary, and my options for what to eat at work are limited. I don't stress eat, but I definitely was overeating. Also, I am pre-diabetic and very insulin resistant.

After a sad day where I went through my wardrobe and boxed up clothes that no longer fit -- which was about 4/5 items in my wardrobe, leaving me with NO pants and a few skirts that fit tightly -- I decided to do something to return to my old clothing size and found the low carb idea online and this community. The emotional feeling around this was intense. I had not stepped on a scale in years and had no idea I'd packed so much on. It crept up. I knew I was buying new clothes here and there but assumed I'd gained like 5 lbs. at most, not 22 lbs, in full.

My total daily calorie needs aren't high, like 1,300 calories, because my job is sedentary, I'm short, and I didn't start at that high of a weight. I was skeptical, but quickly lost the first six or so pounds. From there, it slowed down, but I have kept losing a bit under 1 lb. a week.

After seven weeks of low-carbing, with only three "flubs," I am officially 12 lbs. lighter, now 108 lbs, and I've lost 1.25" off of my waist size, and have gone down one clothing size, and had so much joy unpacking my clothes and seeing about half of them fit. This was the first target weight I had set for myself.

I am unsure if I should keep low-carbing like I have been, I do seem to leave ketosis the moment I go over 20 grams of carbs, although I think losing another 3 lbs. seems good since there are still clothes I don't fit into, and my BMI is around 21, according to my fitness center, which may seem high, but like I said, my bones are tiny! I've still got plenty of fat on me at this weight! In fact, not one person seems to have noticed I've lost. The weight I had gained was literally the same I weighed by the end of being 9 months pregnant, so now I am working out a bit, not a lot, but a bit where I can and when I can, mainly just cardio or swimming when I can.

So when you are close to or at your goal weight, do you let yourself go out of ketosis to stop losing?

I also know I'll probably gain back some water weight, so should I lose more to compensate? I don't ever want the feeling again of not being able to zip my clothes up, or even to not be able to get them on at all. That's where I was earlier this summer, standing there, trying on one piece of clothing after another and shocked at how I couldn't get them on. Even my arms were too big to fit into many of my shirts. Now, I am feeling pretty darned good. However, a little insurance wouldn't hurt any, although those last few pounds won't come off without exercise over time, based on the one time I lost weight before, which was after I had children.

What is the best way to maintain my weight now if my problems stem from a combination of insulin resistance, being sedentary, and probably just eating too much processed food over time due to being busy? I've never had a weight issue before and am a classic ectomorph. And I am eating almost 100% home made food now and tracking it all closely.

Thanks for advice and for this forum. I am not sure this is where I ultimately am aiming, but I'm back in the world of "This feels like my body again!"

Last edited by WanderingStars; 08-31-2017 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: detail added
WanderingStars is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/143/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Yippeeeee!!!! I'm so happy for you I knew you could do it WS. Celebrate an do something Fun!!!
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
leisha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/188/155
WOE: Keto LCHF
Start Date: 2005 Joined LCF Mar 1 '17 Keto
Good for you! I often think about what maintaining will be like. I'm not close but I do think that you are very smart to start getting a plan in motion! I've heard that it is harder to maintain a weight loss than to lose the weight. It's a little scary but if you face it for the challenge that it really is, it can be done! There are plenty of people here to prove that.
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psm 118:24
210 208 206 205 204 202 200 198 196 194 192 190 188 186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 169 168 166 163 162 160 158 156
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Are you still prediabetic and are you still insulin resistant. In the end if you still want to be smaller, then you can answer your own question, but ultimately you have to find a way of eating that you can do for life. I eat white rice once or twice a week and still eat chickpea flour and I find this has no impact on my weight.

Just eating clean generally works for most, because its hard to overeat any macro and allows you to use satiety and general feeling as a guide to stop or what quantities you can eat of one thing but at the end of the day its all conditional on so many other things.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
WanderingStars
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WanderingStars
Thanks everyone! I lost another pound since posting this, which I was not expecting, although I have been eating low-carb still since I wasn't quite sure what to do. What is "eating clean"? I don't know this term.

And I have definitely felt pretty darned celebratory, especially with that last unexpected pound coming off after posting this. I am definitely scared if I go back to eating carbs, I might put the weight back on again. I've been very careful throughout, and I really would not like to mess it up. This is the only time in my life my weight had ever really shifted before, and yep, I blame a combination of insulin resistance with being too sedentary and probably eating way, way, way too many carbs since they are everywhere.

I have more energy than before for sure (I am strongly guessing I did not eat enough protein before). I need to figure out what I can and can't eat now to avoid any weight gain. It feels good to be able to solve a problem like this, though! I didn't really expect the low-carb thing to work for me, but it 100% did and without any pain (after the first two or three weeks, which were kind of rough).
WanderingStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:17 AM   #6
Julie1972
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 235/181.2/165
WOE: Atkins/IF 16:8
Start Date: 1/1/2013 (restart 1/30/17)
Congrats on your success!! I do think it's different for each of us and we have to determine that carb allowance for maintenance. Like you, I think maintenance will look a lot like what I'm doing now as I don't do well when I exceed 20 carbs. I think the difference will be that I can add the occasional glass of wine or treat and not panic about getting kicked out of ketosis temporarily. We will hopefully be able to recover quickly with minimal damage. Right now I'm so focused on reaching my goal weight that any deviance from that plan really stresses me out. Congrats again on hitting your goal and I look forward to joining you this year! Keep us posted on how you do it!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
spaceace
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
My thoughts on maintaining, humbly offered:

"Maintaining will not be a whole lot different than what got you to where you wanted to be. If it is much different than that, you start the journey back toward where you started from. If 'what got you to where you wanted to be' was not sustainable for the rest of your life in the first place, odds are that maintaining will be a short attempt, and you need to reinvent 'what got you to where you wanted to be' for the next time around."

As I have never hit goal yet, but had great successes and losses along the way, the above is what I tell myself. During my "losses" (i.e. gains in weight in reality) I stopped doing what was successful in small amounts, started feeling the rewards of these bad choices (i.e. the taste of carbs), which made receiving these rewards more alluring each day. There was always a tipping point where the reward of giving into carb-eating was more powerful than the reward of carb-control (i.e. denying myself while not losing anything, or gaining, no longer feeling good). When I hit that tipping point, it was "game over." I cannot imagine that this process is any different whether or not I am at a goal weight, or somewhere along the way. In short, any change from the approach that got you to your goal weight must be very, very small.

Anybody have thoughts on this? (I welcome them in agreement or otherwise!)
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Spaceace....I agree don't get me wrong in the past I've tried it all. This time I eat the way I want to eat for a lifestyle. The weight came off slower which is ok as I have the rest of my life so I'm in no hurry.
Puppy love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
I agree with all of the above - and I've been maintaining within a five pound range for about 18 years now. This is just how I eat... I feel great, have no health issues, play golf and and workout regularly. If I over eat carbs I know I'll feel like crap, so I choose my indulgences wisely, and go back to induction level carbs with the next meal.
Casey is online now   Reply With Quote