Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Fung Style Fasting Chat ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

All are welcome here - if you are new to intermittent fasting, simply curious with questions, an old hand at it, or somewhere in between, jump right in!

Some quotes from Dr. Fung:

“If you think that calories cause obesity you can test this with a feeding study. What you find is that it always comes down to insulin.”
– Dr. Jason Fung

“In 1960, we ate three meals a day. There wasn’t much obesity. In 2014, we eat six meals a day. There is an obesity epidemic. So, do you really think we should eat six meals day?”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

“Lowers blood sugar levels Improves insulin sensitivity Increases energy Improves fat-burning Lowers blood cholesterol Prevents Alzheimer’s disease Extends life Reverses aging process Decreases inflammation”
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended

“Even the National Cholesterol Education Program admits, “The percentage of total fat in the diet, independent of caloric intake, has not been documented to be related to body weight.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

“Carbohydrates in their natural, whole, unprocessed form, perhaps with the exception of honey, always contain fiber—which is precisely why junk food and fast food are so harmful. The processing and the addition of chemicals change the food into a form that our bodies have not evolved to handle. That is exactly why these foods are toxic.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

“Simplistic arguments that “Carbs make you fat!” or “Calories make you fat!” or “Red meat makes you fat!” or “Sugar makes you fat!” do not fully capture the complexity of human obesity.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

The 7 Practical Benefits of Fasting
  1. Add to any diet
  2. Flexibility
  3. Power
  4. Cheat days
  5. Convenience
  6. Cheap
  7. Simplicity

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
King James Version (KJV), Ecclesiastes 3:1
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Marking my spot!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 AM   #3
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MikeRatcliffe
I am on day 18 of my water fast and it is amazing to see how my bloods, that were all over the place a week ago, start to stabilize.

It is interesting that they have taken so long to start to do this but it shows how insulin resistant I used to be and how messed up my body is.

I never expected to go this long but I figure that as long as I don't feel terrible I may as well just continue.

My wife is on day 3 of her water fast after a hellish day 2. She had terrible low carb flu and was pretty desperate to end her fast but a little bone broth helped her a little. She was so hungry through the day though that when she went to bed she dreamed that she gorged on carby foods.

As a bonus, she woke up feeling full
MikeRatcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Thanks, Deb!
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:31 AM   #5
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have been struggling to even do an OMAD recently but did get one in unintentionally yesterday. When it came to dinner, I did not eat as much as I might normally. Nothing after that.

So this happens to me regularly when I do a OMAD ~ my weight bumps up the next day. It is generally nothing more that a lbs or 1.5. It comes off the next day but I find this puzzling. Anyone else experience this?

In July I did a 'fast' of sorts in which I didn't eat food for 4 days but did have coffee and keto coffee and some liquid beverages. Call it the high anxiety/grief fast. I did lose about 4 to 5 lbs. but as usual it came back. And then about 2.5 lbs. has disappeared and stayed gone. Longer fasts seem to be the key for me. Too bad I am so unwilling. Posting here to perhaps force myself to consider fasting for longer.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 09-02-2017 at 05:35 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

That's odd that OMAD causes a bump UP. Some sort of water retention maybe?
Old 09-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I think it must be that.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
DiamondDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
That's odd that OMAD causes a bump UP. Some sort of water retention maybe?
Not odd but maybe unusual for a first day. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. It is just water.

I've noticed that eating a few specific foods will usually cause the scale to drop but life is too short to eat only those foods. Other, very healthy foods that I know are good for me will cause the scale to bounce up but I know that is just water. It doesn't bother me because I understand that it is has nothing to do with gaining fat. The scale doesn't measure fat, just current weight. It can be a useful tool if you remember that.

I've noticed that the foods that make one person's scale go up cause a drop on someone else's scale. Interesting...

Old 09-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
DiamondDeb

September seems like a good time to work on getting motivated all over again! Kind of like "Back to School!"

While reading the science, the facts, etc. is very good and helpful, I've done lots of that & know I will again. Right now, I want to read about different people's personal experiences with fasting. Maybe read blogs, journals, etc. The excitement and tips from others can stir up our own motivation and get us excited all over again. I am reading Delay, Don't Deny: Living an Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle (Kindle version), by Gin Stephens. It is largely about her own personal experience but it also talks about different ways of doing IF. Instead of going into the science in great detail, she recommends other resources, including Dr. Fung.

I'm probably going to do some experimenting this month. My Extreme Anti-inflammatory diet (I have written about it in previous threads & don't recommend anyone eat this way unless they must for health reasons, as I have, because it is so limiting) is proving unsustainable so I will probably work on seeing if I can be a bit less strict on occasion without increasing my pain level horribly. Keeping all the chemicals and fake (GMO, etc.) foods out of my foods can be done at home but even that is pretty hard & limiting. I'm not talking about adding processed foods as we generally think of them. Do I really need to make my own olives and pickles to avoid increased levels of pain???

But I am also wanting to be able to enjoy eating out with friends and family. With all my current restrictions it ends up being a stressful occasion instead of the fun time and treat it is meant to be. I don't eat out all that often so I'm hoping that I can relax the rules a bit without suffering for days or weeks afterward.

I took a short break from fasting, just not worrying/thinking about timing (although I don't think I ate in the morning once! I am still amazed at this, after faithfully cooking my breakfast for so long. IF is the lazy cook's dream come true! ) and am back at it again. I plan to have two meals today (bacon/eggs in just a bit and then grassfed beef sliders on baby romaine leaves for dinner) and then will have one meal (dinner) tomorrow.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 09-04-2017 at 09:48 AM..
Old 09-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Deb, sounds like a great plan. I am also trying to step things up this month. Summer is over in the "back to school" sense and a good time to re-examine and make some improvements.
I am going on a solo trip to California next month and I really want to feel my best and do a lot on this trip. As I've said before, I lost 80 lbs with VLC then another 20 with IF/OMAD. I have to be careful never to feel "deprived" because then I overeat. Even if it is LC non-processed foods.
I hope to lose 10 lbs in the next six weeks and keep my bg going down.
Let's do this!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
DiamondDeb

You're doing great, Jan!

I'm right there with you on being able to over eat healthy foods! Hat won't get me where I want to go so I need to recommit and get excited about it again! I love that feeling!

A solo trip sounds like good motivation. Good luck!

I ate dinner early and will be at 24 hrs fasted before I get home from work tomorrow. I'm more often at about 22 hours.

We can do this!

Old 09-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #12
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

I am on day 22 of my water fast and feeling fine but am surprised that I have plateaued over the last week, even gaining about a kilo.

I know I normally plateau early but only drinking water I am surprised that this is happening.

I know it must be water and at some point my body will purge it but I just thought I would come on here and whine a little.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:25 AM   #13
clackley
Chatty Cathy

WOW ~ 22 days is amazing!!! I am sure it is water. I would know I will be preaching to the choir but this is a perfect example of how wrong the calories in/calories out theory is so wrong. People love to do the calculations and predict their weight loss. Seems simple. It is not!!!!

We are butter together!
Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 AM   #14
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/218/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
The 7 Practical Benefits of Fasting
  1. Add to any diet
  2. Flexibility
  3. Power
  4. Cheat days
  5. Convenience
  6. Cheap
  7. Simplicity
Good list.

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #15
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRatcliffe View Post
I am on day 22 of my water fast and feeling fine but am surprised that I have plateaued over the last week, even gaining about a kilo.

I know I normally plateau early but only drinking water I am surprised that this is happening.

I know it must be water and at some point my body will purge it but I just thought I would come on here and whine a little.
22 days! That's fabulous.

I'm sure you are right about the water retention, but I agree it is still surprising.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
DiamondDeb

Quote:

This is a good time to remember that the scale only measures current WEIGHT. It doesn't measure fat loss. It is perfectly normal for weight to fluctuate; all sorts of things can cause it. It is usually just water weight. It is unusual for the scale to always go down when one is working on fat loss.

It is possible to drop sizes (proof of fat loss!) without losing an ounce of weight. It is even possible to gain weight while losing fat & shrinking in size.

I hope you have been taking measurements. If not, start now! Watching the inches melt away is the real proof of your success!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I hope you have been taking measurements. If not, start now! Watching the inches melt away is the real proof of your success!
I am not taking measurements because if I measure my stomach I get a different measurement every time... it is very hard to get a measuring tape around you and have it perfectly straight.

I know my size is changing because I fit in clothes that I was never able to wear... even when I was 20kg lighter than I am now.

I am probably retaining water because my whole family have the stomach flu. For me that just means I feel weak... the other symptoms are cancelled by the fast
Old 09-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #18
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/156/124 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Hi Mike,

Glad you're still feeling well and your fast is going well!

My weight on the scale stayed the same for about a week from around week 6 - 7 even though I was obviously losing fat as my waist and back were were getting smaller.

I'm now on day 70 and weighed in at 159 lbs. - exactly 35 pounds down from from my starting weight. (So for me, Dr. Fung's "0.5 pounds per day of fat loss per day of fasting"
is oh so accurate!)

Hope it continues to go smoothly for you!
Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
OhAmy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhAmy
Stats: 298/149/140
WOE: Never carbs!
Start Date: 3/25/14
Very inspiring here with the 70 day and 22 day fasts that are going strong! I am on day 2 of what I hope will be a 20 day fast. I'd like to check in with you here "intermittently" . Do any of you drink coffee while fasting or just water? I'm drinking coffee, herb tea, and occasionally chicken boullion for the salt.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
I just started on Sept.4
Today is day 3
Friday is last day>Until Monday @ will do 2 day fast that week and work from there.
Sept.4was> 124
Sept.6th>120
I exercise also and weight machines Plus Sauna 40 mins
Steam 7 mins
70 days and over 20 is really great.But I know I can not do that.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:40 AM   #21
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAmy View Post
Do any of you drink coffee while fasting or just water? I'm drinking coffee, herb tea, and occasionally chicken boullion for the salt.
I don't drink coffee whether I am fasting or not but many people swear by it.

I fill a 3 litre bottle of water each morning and add a teaspoon full of Himalayan salt. You can hardly taste the salt and it ensures you are getting enough. I also take multivitamins and magnesium every day.

If I get nauseous I drink some bone broth to give my electrolytes a boost. In the UK a store called Tesco sells bone broth that is made in the slow cooker and all they add is salt. I usually add extra salt to the broth because drinking lots of water can flush the salt out of your system.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
OhAmy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhAmy
Stats: 298/149/140
WOE: Never carbs!
Start Date: 3/25/14
Mike, I like the idea of the big bottle of salt water ready to go. I found myself dumping little salt packets in a cup of water when I had that low sodium feeling at work last night. I take magnesium, multivits and fish oil.

Day 3 is almost done. Really hungry for awhile this afternoon but I want to get to at least Day 4. Giving myself permission to break the fast tomorrow if I want to. (The delay tactic.)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #23
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi,every one.
I just started this 9-4th. I did 3 days.
Plan was to do 4.
But I had to stop on my 4th day.
I had so much pain in back and it was bad.
So ate some. I think maybe i just did not drink enough.
But in 3 days lost>5 lbs
So far this month so far 6
I still am watch very close on cals and type of foods so I dont gain what I have lost.
But plan now is to start on Monday and do 1-2 fast and if then see how that does.
And if I feel good. go for 4 days.

I also think cals. are important.
On broth> I see u can do that while fasting. Do u make own?or can u buy ?
I will be looking at this site and read how you all do and what u are doing.
I have Dr. Fungs book great read.
Hope to meet u all.
Kind{Janet
So looks like I can take Vitamans?[I do a lot .ha
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:22 AM   #24
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
I also think cals. are important.
Dr Fung recommends a LCHF diet because that helps keep your blood sugars normal so that your body doesn't need to produce as much insulin. This allows your body to eat it's own fats, which is what most people want from a healthy diet.

Cutting calories can slow your metabolism but fasting speeds it up so you lots of people fast for a few days and then eat for a few days for good results. Some do alternate days... you just need to find what works for you.

The more often you fast the easier it gets.

Quote:
On broth> I see u can do that while fasting. Do u make own?or can u buy?
My local supermarket in the UK sells pouches of "beef stock" and "chicken stock." Looking at the ingredients they are just simple bone broth cooked in a slow cooker (crock pot) but this is just good look. Avoid using cubes and powders because they usually contain carbs and will make you feel hungry. In general you are best to make your own.

Quote:
I will be looking at this site and read how you all do and what u are doing.
I have Dr. Fungs book great read.
Hope to meet u all.
Kind Janet
So looks like I can take Vitamins? I do a lot .ha
A general multivitamin and magnesium are recommended. You should be having 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of salt each day to avoid getting cramps. Epson salt baths ease aches and pains... particularly cramps so I would thoroughly recommend having one every few days to keep your magnesium levels up.

I am on day 29 of my water fast and have lost 33.29 lbs so far, which averages 1.15 lbs per day. Usually people lose around 0.5 lbs a day so I suspect a lot of mine is water weight, maybe because I weighed 296 lbs before I started my fast.

My weight loss has been way more stable over the last 9 days averaging just under 1 lbs a day so no complaints but as my weight comes down I expect the speed of my weight loss to come down too.

I haven't set a period of time that I will be fasting for... I will just fast until I feel unwell and then I will stop.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #25
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for checking in Mike. I was wondering how you were doing.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #26
myhnabird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhnabird
Stats: 223.2/191.0/160
WOE: Fung style IF
Start Date: Re-start - Jan 8 2016
Quote:
This allows your body to eat it's own fats, which is what most people want from a healthy diet.

I am on day 29 of my water fast and have lost 33.29 lbs so far,

I haven't set a period of time that I will be fasting for... I will just fast until I feel unwell and then I will stop.
Mike, are you doing this fast completely on your own (no support from a health professional)? It's not that I have any great faith in the medical community but a month of solid fasting (as opposed to IF) gives me pause. Logically, I should be able to happily survive on my own fats for close to 6 months (yes, I'm back up to my starting weight) but I don't want to do any permanent damage in the process.

The longest I've managed to fast is around 48 hours - I guess there's no harm in just pushing it out further and further while keeping an eye on how I feel.

Thank you for updating us as you go through this long fast.

Mary

Start: 223.2
1st goal - end of March - Onederland: Done - Nov 15

My journal - Fitter Fifties
myhnabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #27
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhnabird View Post
Mike, are you doing this fast completely on your own (no support from a health professional)?
Yes I am and thanks for your concern.

The big problem is that there are very few health professionals in the UK that would support me on an extended fast. This is because the NHS has a portion control diet that they do support and an optional weightwatchers subscription. Ironically, anything other than calorie restriction is promptly rejected as dangerous.

Also, my local doctors surgery is very busy (meaning you have to wait around 2.5 weeks for an appointment) and they won't do my bloods etc. as part of a diet, which is understandable considering how busy they are.

I am well researched and know all the warning signs. I take my own bloods and blood pressure regularly and chart all of my data. I take my vitamins and minerals, take epson salt baths to top up my magnesium etc. I drink bone broth whenever I start feeling off.

Whilst I feel good and there is nothing alarming in my charts I know I am safe to continue but, of course, I am being cautious so if I felt overly hungry or sick I would stop immediately and begin the refeeding process.

Last edited by MikeRatcliffe; 09-12-2017 at 09:42 AM..
Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #28
DiamondDeb

Mike, you are doing great! It sounds to me like you are being careful, paying close attention to your body, doing things right. Just keep doing what you're doing.

I've just been through Hurricane Irma and have found Intermittent fasting to be a good tool for times with no electricity. I was staying with friends during the storm and the husband does IF - though he doesn't call it that - so my eating one meal a day was quite acceptable.

I came home last night, thinking I had to work today but still no power at work . No power at home either so it is a bit challenging. I'm getting to bed early with no reason to sit in the dark!

I'm lucky to be sitting in my nice, cool car while I am charging my phone. I'm thinking of selling tickets to sit in here and cool off and/or charge phones...

- There is a lot of damage and devestation here. I'm happy I have access to the Internet on my iPhone using my data plan. It is a good distraction.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #29
myhnabird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhnabird
Stats: 223.2/191.0/160
WOE: Fung style IF
Start Date: Re-start - Jan 8 2016
Morning Mike.

Thank you for not assuming I was being critical of you. It was only after I posted that I considered it may have come off that way. The "gives me pause" comment was me thinking aloud about myself doing a 7+ day fast. I don't do my own bloodwork (shudder) and am inclined to agree with you about the lack of support us fasters could expect in Canada, too. Actually, I'm a little surprised that the UK isn't more "in the loop" wrt fasting - I always expect UK/Europe to be light years ahead of us...

So - I started my own fast yesterday and am highly motivated to make it a way of life. There are so many benefits beyond weightloss. (and yes, I *am* reading The Obesity Code - why do you ask? )

Start: 223.2
1st goal - end of March - Onederland: Done - Nov 15

My journal - Fitter Fifties
myhnabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #30
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/156/124 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Hi Mike,

You ARE doing great! Don't you love how much time it frees up?

Just a note if you keep going - around day 44 I needed to start supplementing with potassium. Prior to that I was fine with just salt and magnesium. Once I "ran out" of potassium I felt like I had "bonked". (Totally wiped out, muscle fatigue, etc.). It had completely reversed within an hour of taking 1,000 mg of potassium. Just something to keep your eye on if you continue on!

Delighted to hear you're doing so well. At your starting weight you probably have been losing well over that 0.5 pounds per day!

I just completed week 11 yesterday. Everything continues to go well other than having to increase my salt intake to around 3 teaspoons a day to keep my blood pressure up!

Are you finding it any easier to keep up with your triplets??

Last edited by cgwwilson; 09-13-2017 at 09:40 AM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote