Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
kjstl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kjstl
Can I just vent frustration???

I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks. I weighed Monday for the 3rd week and the scale didn't move. Also, my measurements are not changing. I know I should give it time, but I'm so frustrated. I definitely have a calorie deficit (1000c a day). I usually don't go over 15 carbs, my fat is right around 65%, and I try to eat all my protein daily. I drink atleast 100 oz of water a day. I am just baffled!! I know I'm in ketosis by the sticks, but I have no other signs I'm in it like everyone else does. No nasty taste, no keto flu, my hunger is now coming back. To top it all off, today I am so depressed, I could cry at any moment.

Something changed and I dont like it. All I can think of, is that I had SF coffee syrup, flavored water (sparkling ice), and diet soda. That would be in question. All my food has been non processed. I know I should push on, I have 80 lbs to lose, but if I cant get anywhere, what to do ??????

Sorry. Just having a bad day I guess.
kjstl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/143/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Good Morning!!!

First off Congrats on the 11 pounds that's terrific. Now slow down and relax...take a breath...you'll wear yourself out in a hurry and we have 80 more pounds to loose!!! Your body has to relax to, it has gone through a big change. The scale can be a friend or an enemy, do yourself a favor and don't go near it for a couple day's. You seem to be doing everything right so stop worrying and keep doing what your doing. Give your system a chance to catch up. If after a few day's you don't loose you may have to 86 the Sugar Free Syrup. I personally cannot eat any fake or real sugar as it will slow me down or stall me. Please don't allow yourself to get discouraged and quit. Your doing Great!!!
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Neko
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 195/165/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/9/2017
11 pounds in two weeks in fantastic! I'm not sure I lost 11 pounds in my first two months. Sometimes when you have a great loss the first couple weeks, it is a ton of water and your body starts to even out and you may not see a loss on the scale.

I never get keto flu. Some people are more fortunate than others when it comes to that. Even people on low carb diets do feel hunger at times. I have days even months in where I feel like I could eat everything in sight and other times when I don't want to eat.

sshhh... I'm the bad person who hasn't given up splenda, SF syrup or diet ginger ale.
Neko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Weight loss is never linear - you may have lost 11 pounds in two weeks, which BTW is AWESOME, but that doesn't mean you will continue to lose at that rate. In fact, for most people, that will NOT happen - averaging 1-2 pounds a week is doing really well, and note that is AVERAGING, some weeks you see no movement on the scale, other weeks you may drop several pounds.

You have to be patient. It's not a race. It's a long-term goal. Stay the course and you will get the results you desire! Don't focus on the scales so much. Concentrate more on sticking to the plan and go by how your clothes fit and how you feel. This is as much about HEALTH as it is WEIGHT LOSS so hang in there, and come here often for encouragement!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/218/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
I'll also weigh in and say 11 lbs in two weeks is awesome. That's 5.5 lbs per week. Everyone is different, but after induction, 1 lb loss per week is not uncommon. So don't stress over this, and don't over-expect the loss. If you can lose 1-2 lbs per week, every week, you are doing great.

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Kimberli33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /176/155
Start Date: June 2015
11#loss in 3 weeks is phenomenal. My scale broke this time around and I think for me that might be a good thing! I am just following the plan and not worrying about it. I can't tell if I'm losing or not but others say I am.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
kjstl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kjstl
Thanks all. I think I need to stay away from the scale and measuring. Its so hard reading on FB all these gals that are losing an amazing amount of weight, like 25 lbs in a month, i feel like i should be able to do that too. Not my luck.
kjstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Don't measure your own success by what other people report. For starters, it very much depends on what your starting weight is. Those with a lot to lose, generally lose more quickly, at least up front. Secondly, FB is not always a good place to get factual information, LOL! So please, stick to your plan and just hold your head up and move forward! You do NOT have to measure up to ANYONE else's "results" - just be true to YOU and you'll be successful. Thinking it's gonna happen overnight, or even in a month or two, can be very unrealistic and lead to feeling unsatisfied with what you HAVE done. Don't let that happen!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:35 AM   #9
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
This place can also be a place to not get factual information. You are on your own journey. To be successful long term you must have the mindset this is not a race or comparison of others. You have the rest of your life to commit to better health overall via diet and other lifestyle choices, therefore there isn't a hurry or end date. You gotta do you. It's okay to seek advice etc. But not everyone anywhere in life agrees on the same said advice. No one online or in person knows your situation/life better than you do. What may work for others may not work for you. What stalls others may not stall you. Do your own research on any topic of interest to form your own opinion based on research/others experience/ then your own. Sometimes people get so Jealous about what works for them they become adamant to others this is the only way to do said thing. That is not true if it was all people that get cancer would all die, and we know some people beat the odds and survive. There are very few things about human life that are 100% factual to everyone with the exception that eventually everyone dies. You can do this...Ask, research, get your mindset in creating a life style change not only in diet but exercise and other things to improve your overall health. There are tons of thing people can do besides food related things such as getting enough sleep. Best Wishes! I have faith in you, most importantly have faith in yourself...

Last edited by Puppy love; 09-14-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Puppy love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
Emily-D
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Weight loss isn't steady. You'll lose weight some weeks, but not others. Stick with it. And don't compare yourself to other people. Some people drop weight really fast (I'm not one of them) but don't let that discourage you. The point is to lose it permanently, not to lose it quickly.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/143/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy love View Post
This place can also be a place to not get factual information. You are on your own journey. To be successful long term you must have the mindset this is not a race or comparison of others. You have the rest of your life to commit to better health overall via diet and other lifestyle choices, therefore there isn't a hurry or end date. You gotta do you. It's okay to seek advice etc. But not everyone anywhere in life agrees on the same said advice. No one online or in person knows your situation/life better than you do. What may work for others may not work for you. What stalls others may not stall you. Do your own research on any topic of interest to form your own opinion based on research/others experience/ then your own. Sometimes people get so Jealous about what works for them they become adamant to others this is the only way to do said thing. That is not true if it was all people that get cancer would all die, and we know some people beat the odds and survive. There are very few things about human life that are 100% factual to everyone with the exception that eventually everyone dies. You can do this...Ask, research, get your mindset in creating a life style change not only in diet but exercise and other things to improve your overall health. There are tons of thing people can do besides food related things such as getting enough sleep. Best Wishes! I have faith in you, most importantly have faith in yourself...
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:49 AM   #12
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjstl View Post
I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks. I weighed Monday for the 3rd week and the scale didn't move. Also, my measurements are not changing. I know I should give it time, but I'm so frustrated. I definitely have a calorie deficit (1000c a day). I usually don't go over 15 carbs, my fat is right around 65%, and I try to eat all my protein daily. I drink atleast 100 oz of water a day. I am just baffled!! I know I'm in ketosis by the sticks, but I have no other signs I'm in it like everyone else does. No nasty taste, no keto flu, my hunger is now coming back. To top it all off, today I am so depressed, I could cry at any moment.

Something changed and I dont like it. All I can think of, is that I had SF coffee syrup, flavored water (sparkling ice), and diet soda. That would be in question. All my food has been non processed. I know I should push on, I have 80 lbs to lose, but if I cant get anywhere, what to do ??????

Sorry. Just having a bad day I guess.
Congrats on your weight loss to date! It is exciting to lose that much in such a short period of time and it confirms that you are doing it 'right'. Having a 'pause' in weight loss at this time in your journey is 100% normal. If you stick to plan, you will certainly see weight loss again very soon.

I would caution you that keto is not about calorie restriction and attempting to do so can actually work against you going forward. Just eat to your appetite and make sure you are keeping carbs low and getting enough dietary fat.

Here is a little article about weight loss that may help when it feels like you are spinning your wheels.....

Quote:
Why the scales can lie.
For all of us ready to throw out our scales. I came across this and found it interesting.

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates.

As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.

There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Julie1972
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 235/181.2/165
WOE: Atkins/IF 16:8
Start Date: 1/1/2013 (restart 1/30/17)
I agree with the previous posters that it's not a linear process and everyone has different results. Like you, I had a dramatic pause in weight loss after week 2 and I've had quite a few stalls of multiple weeks since as you can see from my weekly weigh ins below. For me it helps to only weigh weekly so I don't let the scale dictate my mood and I don't obsess about it all week. I don't think there's a magic formula that works for everyone but sticking with this WOE always seems to work in the long run. I also get discouraged on a regular basis but I try to look back to where I started and remember I don't want to go back to that point. Regardless of how long it takes, it's worth it! Hang in there!!

2017 weight
1/30: 235.0 starting weight
2/5: 228.8 (6.2 lbs, 1 week)
2/12: 225.4 (9.6 lbs, 2 weeks)
3/1: 223.4 (11.6 lbs, 5 weeks)
3/5: 221.0 (14 lbs, 6 weeks)
3/12: 217.6 (17.4 lbs, 7 weeks)
3/19: 215.2 (19.8 lbs, 8 weeks)
3/26: 212.6 (22.4 lbs, 9 weeks)
4/2: 209.8 (25.2 lbs, 10 weeks)
4/9: on vacation so did not weigh
4/16: 207.2 (27.8 lbs in 12 weeks)