Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Proton Pump Inhibitors anyone?

I just had an endoscopy and the doctor tells me I have non bleeding ulcers. Waiting for H Pylori test results, but meanwhile he prescribed a PPI to heal the ulcers. Based on everything I've heard and read, I don't want to take a PPI. I would just as soon take an H2 Blocker. Does anyone have experience with either of these meds for ulcers? I don't think my doctor will be too happy when I call on Monday to ask if I can switch to an H2 blocker.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Wait for the H Pylori results. The treatment usually included omeprazole and a couple antibiotic.

I was treated and after, the acid rebound was terrible so I was given another couple weeks of omeprazole and tried to wean.

My NP suggested I use ranitidine because it's PRN and works in 30 minutes.

Much later my stomach was in terrible shape and I couldn't stand even drinking water so they scoped me. H Pylori was gone. Gastritis was diagnosed along with some physical damage.
He prescribed omeprazole! I took it for about two weeks then stopped and started using ranitidine again.

Many dietary changes later, I weaned off ranitidine but could never have weaned from omeprazole.

Oh and the GI guy told me that people who have had H Pylori often have ongoing symptoms.

It'll be interesting to see what the doc says.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sorry about your stomach issues. I actually don't have stomach problems. He gave me the endoscopy because my mother had stomach cancer. I was surprised to learn I had 2 ulcers. I tested negative 4 years ago for H Pylori. We'll see. Thank you very much for replying.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I almost forgot about this: The hub had a GI bleed and it turned out to be an ulcer. Four units of blood later he was sent home with omeprazole and something that coats the stomach (can't remember the name but it's a common med). He took it for three weeks and then stopped without any problems.

If it is just time to heal the ulcer, you should be off of it in short order.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the information, jem! Glad your DH is doing better.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Well we discovered hubs ulcer is gone so it must've worked....however something is going on in the small intestine because he had another blood loss episode and got two units of PRBC and two days in the hospital.

They scoped both ends and found nothing so since blood levels were stable (low) sent him home. They want him to have video capsule endoscopy.

He is a VA patient but there's only VA clinic here so we were in the local hospital. I am assuming they'll have him go to the Sac VA hospital for the next test....unless it is emergent.

BUT the ulcer is gone so that few weeks of meds did the trick.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

So sorry your DH is having these issues. My Uncle had blood loss that required transfusion. Turns out he has diverticulitis. He's fine now. I hope they find it quickly and it's easily fixed.