Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #91
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight
WOE: Fast5, calorie counting
Start Date: November 8, 2016
Goodmorning,

Have a good meeting with your Arkansas lady, Carolyn. You'll have to share her message with us. ~~~I was hoping you were only allergic to something in your old contact lens/solutions and that your eyes would feel better. It sounds like you are still battling the seasonal allergies. You mentioned a cedar allergy. Are cedar trees in bloom (or what ever they do) all year long in your area? Is it possible that you have developed a food allergy that is causing your discomfort? I have always been a shake drinker in the morning, from my early 20's on. I used Carnation, Slimfast, things from the health food store, dozens of brands through the decades. Never had trouble with them but about 5 years ago I started getting ear infections. I hadn't ever had problems with ear infections even as a child. After a long thinking process I wondered if my shake had something to do with it. It turns out that over the years I had developed a cows milk allergy. I switched to almond milk and the infections went away. I also had to change my shake mixes that had dairy products in them too. I'm able to have very small amounts of milk products but if I eat a lot of ice cream or anything containing lots of milk my ears will start itching and I know if I don't quit the milk that an ear infection is likely. You are so food savvy that you have probably already thought about food allergies but if not you might want to think about it. The shake mix I use now is pea protein based.

Judy...your family has been on my mind so much with the funeral. I couldn't help but think when you said your daughter kept Maddox home from school that small children can be very comforting for the adults during those times of grief. It's comforting to hold them and they are good to divert the adult's attention away from all the sorrow. I'm glad you were able to be together, toss some balls, and take it easy. Her poor mother-in-law. And Sandy's sister.....those are some hard days after such a shock, and both men being so young.

And Judy, you are so right about the power of God to give us what we need. Those two kids with CF needed us and believe me when I say we needed them. It's a story that only God could have weaved together but He did it beautifully. I had a very hard time after they died (we all did) but time really does heal, somewhat. Actually I think you just learn to move forward which we have done. Those were blessed, blessed years. My kids grew up riding IV poles and playing lots of board games from hospital beds but they had fun full lives. It was just a different life than their school friends had. There was actually a group of 8 kids at our hospital that were constantly in and out of the hospital in those days. 6 had CF and 2 had diseases similar to CF. The nurses (and parents) called them the 'brat pack' because they OWNED that pediatric floor and God help the staff when they were all in together. Kids will always be kids so even in the midst of things that hurt (IV's, tests, NG Tubes) they would cheer each other up and get through it. They often didn't want to go home after they got well because they didn't want to leave their friends. We (science, doctors) didn't know back then that it was very dangerous for people with CF to be together, they were highly infectious to each other and it shortened many of their lives. Now CFers are kept separated from each other, isolated during hospital stays, so the kids who have CF now don't have the same experience as my kids had. And things have drastically changed through the decades. More is known, better treatments, more home care....but it was a wild ride while it was happening. And it is still a ride for us but just more lonely without all our friends. My son is the last one of the group living and I believe that is because we switched clinics when he was 20. He is at one of the largest CF Centers in the United States, University of Minnesota CF Clinic, recently renamed Minnesota Health. They typically rank 2nd in the nation for successful outcomes. They keep pulling rabbits out of hats and we still have our son. Amazing. Carolyn's friends son would have come along right when they were learning to keep CF kids isolated, 1995-1996, so hopefully his lung function has benefited from that information.

The snow shoveling....huh, that is a laugh. I only do fluffy snow that is one inch deep. Very little lifting or turning with that. If the snow is heavy and wet I don't even start. I just push fluffy snow down the driveway and toss occasionally. Anything more than that and darling husband gets the "beast" out of the garage (snow blower). I can still do things I just have to pace myself and not over do it. I was concerned about the ice under the snow that day though so I had my son come upstairs and watch me out the window in case I went down but the ice under the snow was full of air, that prickly ice, so it actually had some grip to it.

Glad you were not a bridezilla and none in your family either. Let's hope none are lurking around Carolyn. ....Carolyn....has DS popped the question yet?

Nice sunny day here but temps are predicted to fall to -16 again tonight. We do this through January and February then things get better starting in March. I always start planning my garden during these extremely cold days. Do any of you garden? Sandy, enjoy the pool.......sounds lovely!
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #92
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies,

Great meeting today. Our speaker was amazing!!!

I was tested for food allergies and chicken might be a problem for me. The dr said to have it on,y once a week. Who is allergic to chicken?? Our area is horrible for all sorts of allergies. Worse than Tulsa and KCity.

Dh is out getting the bird seed. And we got the flashlights and he is getting oil for the oil lamp. . It is supposed to start after midnight. We shall see.

No question is popped formally. Sarah has a wedding in Clinton, Mo. Her mom is going to drive her up there tomorrow am early. I doubt that Brett will go up because of the ice. No winter weddings, please!!!!!

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #93
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
We have batteries in our flashlights and I am cooking a little tonight and doing ALL the laundry!
But it really sounds like Tulsa won't get any ice, as far as they can tell.
But it sure sounds like you will, Carolyn.

A couple of years ago I got some LED lamps that look like gas lanterns with a handle and everything. Last time we lost power we LOVED those things! Have a bunch of small gas lamps in the garage, though, in case of zombie apocalypse.

And yes, who has a chicken allergy??
I guess sometimes it is a matter of degrees. It won't kill you, and maybe only makes you uncomfortable if you over-do it?

Years ago I had gas permeable lenses. They were not as comfortable as the bifocal ones I wear now, but I confess the ones I wear now are not perfect anymore. I have such a disparity between the correction for the distance and the necessity for bifocals. I love my glasses but I am vain!

Yes, Karen, you've had a totally different life with your CF kids. Sounds like you have been the perfect CF mom. You really understood it, kept learning, and did what you could do to have fun or let them have fun. So glad your DS is still with you.

Thanks for thinking of us - the service was very healing. Lots of tears and lots of smiles. Some laughter. They did a great job of staying together quite a bit to tell stories to keep his memory fresh, especially for the grandkids. Maddox went to school today. DD said he RAN in there all ready to play! Baby Milo is smiling.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #94
CarolynF

We have those led things...very bright light. I hope you don't get the ice.....

Little Maddox needed some friend time. Are your bifocals not gas perm? I still wear reading glasses over my lenses to see to read. But at least the mid vision is good without the glasses.

Funerals can be healing....but afterward, the grieving stages begin.

I think tonight is the finale of the Great American Bake off...

Old 01-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #95
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey - I think I saw something coming on PBS we might all like, something about Queen Victoria?
Anybody heard about that?

I will wish for no ice for you all, too, Carolyn.

I don't think my lenses are gas perms.
Just checked the boxes - not gas perms. Just soft.
Me too if I'm doing much up-close reading I need some cheaters. If I'm at the store I'm fine without them. I play the trombone a little bit, but I can get by. If the light is low, like in a restaurant, I would do better with glasses.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #96
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Oh terrible if you are getting ice. I have seen those LED lights but wasn't sure if they would be worth the money; nice to know they are. I need to pick up a couple. Thanks!

Aww, isn't it great when you go to a spiritually uplifting ladies meeting? Glad you had a good meeting Carolyn. Chicken Allergy!!!! I've heard of allergy to chicken feathers & dander but not the meat. Doesn't it make you wonder what they put in our food when that happens? But that is how I felt about my milk allergy too. 53 years (or so) of drinking milk then "wham" the body says uh-uh, no more of that kid.

Judy...I'm far from the perfect mother. I perfectly loved them. The one who got short changed is my daughter who is well. She feels like I was not there for her while I was sitting in hospital rooms with the other kids. Probably true but what is a mother to do. Her dad was always with her. She's 38 and very bitter. All I can do is put her is God's hands. He loves her more than I ever will. You know our comments about Bridezilla's? YEP!!!!!

Victoria starts for us on PBS on Sunday night, 8 p.m. , also on Wednesday's starting next week. We'll be watching. Sounds really good.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #97
CarolynF

I will watch Victoria. She was a very interesting queen.

No school...Sarah made it safely to Clinton, Mo last night.. icy wedding tomorrow. Hope everyone is safe.

Making chili today and wearing my new contacts for 6 hours. Big day.

How are the Tulsa roads?????

Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #98
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I knew as soon as I typed it it wouldn't come off like I meant it, Karen. I meant you were the perfect CF mother. Taking joy where you could, etc. Helping them all you could. I don't always have the right words - I just think God chose you to be that mother and you did it/are doing it beautifully.

I get your daughter's resentment. I am now going to mangle something else that made me laugh. I heard the recently-deceased Carrie Fisher was quoted saying something like, "resentment is like eating poison, then wishing the other person would die."
I laughed out loud. You are right - whatever you do for the well daughter will not be enough or soon enough or whatever. It's kind of a heartache (I think we've got one developing a load of resentment... ugh...) but what in the world can you do?? You've put her in God's hands and we will do the same here.

Carolyn you have been lots on my mind because they keep talking about the icing up there. And what happened in Cindy's area?? Or is it still yet to come?

Our roads are fine. Our ground temperatures were too warm to support any ice, thank goodness. We're supposed to have another round of rain/freezing rain later and we'll see how it goes then. But it's really not that cold. Just barely freezing. So I don't know whether that will lower ground temperatures much.

Kansas City is supposed to be in the cross-hairs.

Carolyn are these contacts bifocals? I can see myself in the future resigned to far and middle vision and using glasses for seeing up close.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #99
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

My smart smart nerd neighbor sent me a gmail hack alert. I know I can't post the link and it's mildly techy but it's worth searching and reading just a little bit to know what to look for.

google: wordfence.com/blog/2017/01 and gmail-phishing-data-uri

Apparently it's fooling even savvy users.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #100
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Aww Judy, you are the sweetest. You express yourself beautifully. Kind words are like honey on a sore wound, or swallowed which is probably more to my liking . Thank you for those kind words. I have been and still are a wonderful CF mom. My son tells me that all the time, thankfully, and the two kids that died begged to live with us and wanted us so badly so I couldn't be that terrible if they wanted us that much. But the ache of the well daughter is deep. I don't understand it. She actually said a few years ago that she wished her brother would die so things could be normal. It's a good thing my head was attached to my neck because my head could easily have gone spinning on those words; the most hateful words I've ever heard in my life. I agree with Carrie Fisher's words about resentment being like poison. It ruins what is left of difficult situations. I wish you the best with the daughter situation you have a brewing. Hopefully she will see the truth and let go of bitterness. Girls.....I'd rather have 50 smelly, farting sons than one resentful daughter. And I have to add that our Heavenly Father has been wonderful to our family. I could tell you door after door that has been opened by Him along our journey. I praise him daily for his mercy and faithfulness. This situation with our daughter is not a God problem it is a problem with her own heart. She is the only one that can open her heart and release the anger and resentment. I'm glad God has the patience to wait on her because she has used up all of this momma's patience. She's 38 for Pete sakes. Time to grow up and stop being such a selfish word that I can't spell on this page.

So glad you are all getting through the ice storm. Glad Sarah arrived safely.

Carolyn, 6 hours in the eyes and chili all in the same day. Sounds happy to me. Happy for you!!!

Fish for us for supper and I'm enjoying tall glasses of fresh juiced carrot juice which is probably not low carb but it makes my cells sooooooooo happy.

oohhh, those phishing things...beware and delete fast, or rather do what I do with them and I send them unopened to the phishing address of our email server.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #101
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Eeek! I was not very specific.
The daughter and I (both of these kids are my step kids) are actually very good friends. No resentment in her.
It's the son's wife.... and then I wonder why he is okay with that? And WHAT HAPPENED??
Going to let some time pass to see how it goes...
Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #102
CarolynF

Hi gals..

Chili is done... 30 minutes in the IPot after meat was browned. I even made some ice cream.

We will get freezing rain late tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be bad. KCity, too I think.
The football guy are all a twitter about Sunday's game in KC...Beth just texted that it wasn't slippery up there yet.

Daughters... it is hard when you have one very ill child and the others will resent the time the parents spend with that child. It is very hard And puts you in the middle. I'm sure you have apologized to her and asked for forgiveness, so just leave it in her lap.

Better get knitting......

Old 01-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #103
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Your ice storm is all over the national news this morning. I hope all of you are safe, have electricity, trees are still standing etc. It sounds like a nasty storm. They showed a 20 car pile up in (??) Kansas City (I think that is where it was, might be wrong) and a snow plow that took a giant dive into a huge ravine. Bad, Bad,Bad!

We were in an ice storm in Indiana in 1991 or maybe it was 1992 (our kids were 5th and 6th graders I think.) All the electric polls snapped off in our area and we were without power for 3 weeks. Thankfully it was in April and not freezing cold but we did have snow on the ground and obviously ice that hung from the eves so we melted snow and ice to use to flush the toilet. We had heat and another family didn't so they moved in with us for about two weeks. We had so much fun together that the storm actually felt like a big camping trip with friends.

Carolyn, how do you make your low carb chili? Mine has tomatoes,beans, and pasta so I'm wondering what you do to make it low carb. And I imagine your ice cream is with cream, sweetener, & flavoring (vanilla etc). I can see that would be low carb without the sugar and fruit.

What are you knitting now, Carolyn?

Judy...oh yes, the son's wife. And I agree, why do the husbands go along with that attitude from their wives? Mystery to me.

Just finishing up my book, The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas. You Kansas (or near Kansas) gals have to read it. The story is set in Kansas during the 1930's. It's a story about community, the depression, morals, & mystery. I have laughed and chuckled all through the pages. You almost have to be our ages to "get" it because the author uses so many descriptive words from that time that will come flooding back to you when you read it. Things like calling the car the Packard, and jello is called Perfection Salad, all those things we heard from our parents mouths and remember as kids. If you quilt or know anything about quilt patterns it will be especially colorful to your memory. Judy, your mom might love it, maybe you can read it together over Wednesday lunches for the next few weeks. Wouldn't that be a wonderful memory to take forward into the decades to come?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #104
CarolynF

Good morning!

My chili is 2 pounds of chuck/2 cans of diced tomatoes/2 cans of kidney beans or other beans/cooked onion/chili powder to taste. It is not totally low carbohydrate, but okayish.

I will definitely look for that book at the library. Thanks.. I love Mysteries. I love the Agatha Raisin ones/Christie/Evanovich/Janice/Anne Perry.....etc...

The key to an ice storm is the temp. Judy might be warmer than we are. She is 90 miles south. They are trying to decide if they are going to have church tomorrow. Dh is an elder. We shall see...

I am knitting a Wallaby for a friend's great grandchild to be..I'll snap a photo when I'm done.

I think the pile up was in Wichita...about 2 hours northwest of us...

I see no cars on our road today.

keep warmmm

Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #105
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, we're right on the freezing line, so I still don't think our ground temperature is cold enough to support ice. Or that's my guess. I admit I haven't been listening to news.
I have finally gotten myself completing a couple of nagging chores around here.
I think it was the threat of losing power.

Hope you all are okay, Carolyn. Hope to hear how Cindy's doing.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #106
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I would like to be known as the queen of speaking too soon.
I think it is exactly 32 degrees, and it's raining, and ice is building up in every tree limb.

Karen 3weeks without power would make me cry, but I admit, the campout does sound like a blast! I bet the kids really loved it.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #107
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Judy, the only thing that "made me cry" about the three weeks of having no electricity was not being able to run my vacuum cleaner. I'm such a cleany! The couple that stayed with us (they had electric heat and no fireplace so moved in with us) those two weeks had a cattle breeding service so his work truck had a huge water tank in the side of it. He always had running water with him, like veterinarian trucks have. So when he went to work he would swing through town and fill up the tank (the town people had water but we were out in the country on a well that needed electricity to run the well pump) so every night he would bring in buckets of fresh water from the truck. We had clean five gallon buckets of water setting all over my laundry room floor. So we had water and the food in the freezer was going to go bad over time so we ate like kings and queens, melted snow to pour in the back of the toilet, and sat around playing board games with the kids and cooked. My house (the floors) got so dirty but we threw lots of throw rugs down which helped, and we had to heat all the water on the stove for 1" baths (no showers)....when we got over the shock of it and really started thinking like a century before that time it was amazing how well we did. We are very spoiled in the times that we live in today. I always say we live better than most queens and kings of the past, including Jesus the King of Kings. Spoiled rotten we are!!!

Carolyn....I'll look for your author, thanks!

Glad you are all doing OK. I was going to presume that if you didn't post for a week that you were without electricity. Judy, I hope your trees don't fall!!! Crazy weather!!

A Wallaby....that will be interesting to see!

Where's LORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !! Walking probably
Old 01-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #108
CarolynF

Just starting raining like crazy here. The birds were having a feeding frenzy earlier. Those little guys are smart. Will check the temp...

3 weeks with no electric???? Eeekk..you are a brave lady, Karen.

Baylor is playing KSU and OSU is playing KU. Hard games for our guys.

Did you see that those bikers are heading to DC?

I think I have dry eyes. Going to address that on Tuesday. Contacts are fine, but eyes are dry. Old age. Lolol

I knit lots of these Wallabys. But I'll post the latest one.

Dh is doing pretty well on the skipping breakfast. I have had coffee with cram which isn't really skipping.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #109
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm starting to side more with you, Carolyn. A little cream isn't going to kick up your insulin, right? And the point is to let the insulin clear out, yes?

AND it's dry air right now with all the heat AND you are taking allergy shots that might also be drying you up some. And some other things I might come up with!

Decided not to fast all day today, I've been so good for several days. Honestly for me it's just easier to not eat than to keep planning what and how much I'm going to eat. But I made some low carb pannycakes with booberries! Very good. Had an egg with them. DH had 2 eggs with his.
Karen that Better Than Flour mix or Fantastic Flour Mix makes fabulous pancakes.

Carolyn in my little bits of cleaning up here and there, I found my Slow Strength (Fred Hahn [sp?]) DVDs. Never opened. LOL
I'm a lot more interested in T-Tapp now that I keep getting little workouts on my FB page. I really like it.

KU beat OSU. Congrats! My sister went to KU.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #110
Lori_:)
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 223/174/160(?)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/1/13
Hi all!

Following along with your interesting posts.

Keeping up with my walking and am thru week 2 having logged over 40 miles so far. I've had to use the treadmill a lot lately because of the weather. I'm anxious for Spring and outdoor walks.

I'm currently visiting my sister and dragging her along on my walks. She is used to doing quite a bit of walking, so we're having a good time.

Well, typing on my phone is tedious, so will just wish you all a good weekend and sign off for now. Take care!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #111
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
Good morning. We went to another dance last night and had a blast!!! This is the one thing I never thought about....how fun it is to be around so many people in your age group or close to it. It really brings back memories from when we were young. We were always going to dances along with all our friends but as we got older the music changed and there weren't many places to dance for people in our age group. Well guess what???? Down here our age group rocks!! And there are tons of bands who tour the RV Parks and Resorts so we're all out there dancing again. I love it!!!!! And the dance floor is packed for just about every song!! From the very first one; no warming up for this crowd, lol.

Yay for KU!!!! I hope I'm happy for the Chiefs tomorrow morning. We're meeting some peeps at Wild Wings this evening to watch the game. I really hope they win!

I hope you all are warm and safe.

I'm still holding my own with my weight. Up/down/up/down. That's ok and I'm staying aware. This is a very dangerous place food-wise. Lots of food landmines lurking, lol.

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #112
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

That sounds like so much fun!!! So glad you're having so much fun!!

Lori I love walking with someone. You get some great talks walking with a friend/sister.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #113
CarolynF

I used to go to dances a lot..I grew up in a ski resort town, North Conway, NH... BitsyMay lives there now. The community center would have dances for the tourist skiers and town kids every Sat night. Lots of great times!!! That would fun, Sandy! And what great exercise!!!!!

Walking with someone is the only way to go....

Just had wet weather, no ice...good deal...

Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #114
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

I'm being a slug today, napping and more napping. I hardly ever nap, it's just cold and snowing, hibernating like a bear I am.

Sandy the dancing sounds so fun. Sock hop like you were 16 again. Burns calories too and erase some of those food landmines.

Hi Lori, I though we might have lost you.

Finished "Pickles" this afternoon. Very interesting turn of events for the last couple chapters. I'll be reading this book again in about a month, so many characters that it would be a good second read (which I rarely do...but this one, I think so.)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #115
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay Karen remind me. Is Pickles the whole name of the book?
I can't believe I'm asking.
I have about 8 books I've bought and NEED to read!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #116
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Judy.....The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas. You are such a fun loving person. I know you will appreciate the humor in this book about Midwestern women.

Ok, today I'm back to counting calories. I'm not gaining which tells me that the 5 hour window is a good strategy for me especially because I almost always gain weight in the winter but I'm not losing either so I'm going to get more strict with the calorie counting to get the scale needle moving downward.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #117
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Karen. Maybe I'll put it on my wish list.
Or maybe I'll get it and put it ahead of the other books I "should" read. LOL
Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #118
CarolynF

Sometimes, counting calories gets us going in the right direction, Karen.

I'm writing down the name of that book for my trip to the library tomorrow. Gosh, my eyes are dry. I go back to the dr tomorrow for a contact check...I can see great, but my eyes are dry.

Made some chicken soup. Two soups in the fridge.