Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #421
kal
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kal
Stats: 5'6" 233/180/148-155
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: Restart 11/11/2015
I tried a recipe I came across on YouTube for cauliflower Mac and cheese. So yesterday was grocery shopping day. Bought a mega pack of like 20 chicken legs, huge bags of cauliflower, cheese, and heavy cream. So I meal prepped last night for the week before my 2 hour workout. I have 5 weeks before my vacation and only 12 ish weeks until summertime. Short term upping my workouts...obviously I said 2 hours which is double what I typically was doing. But increased workouts means I need to be on point with nutrition so rest days will be liquid days..give my body a full break those rest days. I have a swimsuit I adore and ive had it for a few years now. But it's the only swimsuit I feel comfortable in, but I can't wear the same swimsuit 7 days in a row. So I need to go buy a new swimsuit or 2 and I'm really hoping i don't have a mental breakdown in the dressing room. Which is why I'm waiting to shop until a little closer to the vacation date.
Goal Weight: 145

Goals:
185 : No longer obese.
180 : Mani/pedi
170 : Receive passport
160 : Sephora makeup
150 : TBD
140 : TBD
kal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #422
ladyboss7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 217 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: starting over AGAIN
Hi gang!

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days......OMG it's been stressful! So, once I took over in my new role as Area Manager I knew there would be things to deal with, and I knew that most of the managers I was now overseeing needed A LOT of help....though they've all been pretty resistant because they've been left alone to do their own thing for so long and they don't seem to realize that they're NOT succeeding......at any rate, all of that to say that on Friday I discovered the manager I thought was the LEAST of my problems had made some HUGE poor judgment calls with serious possible consequences in the way she had been running her property.....so we had to let her go....needless to say My Friday, weekend and yesterday have been CRAZY. My eating has not been on plan.....it's not been HORRIBLE....but not on plan. I'm not in ketosis and of course I've been drinking wine in the evenings. I'm ending February with a 2 pound GAIN! Ok....enough of that....I WILL start March off on the right foot.....I WILL lose this weight!!

Crazy, welcome back....I'm in AWE that you went on vacation and did not gain!!!

Carol, I"ve done cheese crisps in the microwave with the parchment....it's like the oven, but MUCH faster and they're quite tasty, especially if you want something crunchy. The nice thing about doing it on the stove top is it's all nice and gooey and melty.....if you like that sort of thing!

Kal, let us know how the cauli mac Z& cheese turns out!

Betsie, I had KFC on Sunday....I don't normally like them all that much, but DH wanted some on the way home, so I tried their new Georgia Gold honey mustard strips and they were quite tasty....so was the biscuit!

Jeanne, Going2, Jan, Salt&Pepper, and anyone else I might have missed, HI!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

231 225 215 210 200 195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #423
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Janilyn
Stats: 157/145/138
Start Date: September 20, 2016
Hi everyone!

I am finally feeling 100% well, congestion is all gone. I ate mostly fruits and veggies, juices, bone broth, salads, a small amount of meat, and only a few ounces total of cheese. I am back to low carb for a few days. I have a party Thursday for Mom and Dad's 60th anniversary. Family style dinner. I am looking forward most to the milk gravy, probably with chicken livers.

KFC does still have livers and gizzards and so does Lee's Chicken. I like Lee's the best. There is an IGA here that also sells them. You have to get there early in the morning before they are sold out.

Dinner last night was Domino's delivers! I took the top off of the pizza and threw away the crust. I also ordered the Specialty Chicken with bacon, cheese, and tomato. Both are low carb.
Janilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #424
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

I lost the other part of this message. Do any of you have a recipe for sun dried tomato dressing?

I ended the week with 55,297 steps, an average of 7900 a day. This doesn't include steps around home because I don't keep my phone in my pocket to track.

Last edited by Janilyn; 02-28-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #425
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 223/205(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Carol - Tx for the cheese crisps recipe. I buy the Cheese Pops or prepared LC cheese snax and man, they are spendy, will be nice to see if I can make them at home.

Kal - You are sure to be rocking in new swimsuits, you work so hard!

Tammy - Stress will certainly throw off a good routine, especially eating, but you sound solid in your resolution. That's too bad about having to let someone go, so hard, even if justified.

Jan - Great to hear you feel better! Dang, you are on top of those steps--WTG!

They don't call it Fat Tuesday for nothing--binge ate a loaf of Pepperidge Farm cheese bread and an entire bag of spinach-cheese ravioli! Geesh, after having a few great eating days too, sigh. Oh, I'm not catholic either, hahaha. I know, just call it a bump in the road and make today good--I'm on it!

One of my challenges is that I've been in full menopause for a few years now and haven't had a good night's sleep since last September due to awakening from hot flashes. I'm on a low dose estrogen after trying at least 6 other HRT regimens, but it only helps a little. Have tried every OTC product out there too, at least a month each time. My gyn said I'm one of her "10% who don't respond," lucky me.
Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #426
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betsielou
Stats: 170/134/130
WOE: low carb, no particular diet
Start Date: 09/02/2016
Hi everyone, welcome to March. Sounds like all is going well. We are nearing the end of our challenge and no matter where we end lets all just keep up the good work. I ended out Feb at 136.0 then had a slight binge myself and am starting March at 137.0. That's OK, it will come off w/time just got to keep those binges under control.

Gotta run, will check in more later.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #427
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Going2, is Fat Tuesday, or Shrove Tuesday a catholic thing? Maybe that's why I never heard of it until much later in life. I was in my 60s before I found out that Mardi Gras had anything to do with Lent. ha ha I ate real pancakes for breakfast, and meat ravioli for dinner. My blood sugar was so good I didn't take my meds, and I am down another pound today. Go figure.

Jeanne, I never knew KFC had livers and gizzards. I love livers, not gizzards. How do they prepare them? A restaurant nearby has them breaded, as an appetizer. I can get them in the local grocery store. I don't know if they have gizzards because I am not interested. My dog gets the gizzards in our house. My favorite way to eat livers is wrapped in bacon and cooked under the broiler.

Go Kal go! I would wear the same bathing suit every day. For me, I wear what fits. LOL

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #428
ladyboss7
Major LCF Poster!

Hi guys!

Jan, I'm so glad you're feeling better! I don't have a recipe for sun-dried tomato dressing, but that does sound good...if you find a yummy recipe, do share!

Going2, it is hard to fire someone....I've had to do it literally dozens of times over the years and no matter how justified, it still always sucks!!

Betsie, you're right, it's a new month...and I for one am so glad...I'm ready for a new start!!

Carol, I never knew that Mardi Gras was tied to lent?? I am neither Catholic, nor have I ever celebrated mardi gras....I guess I'm pretty boring

Well, it's the 1st of the month and that's the busiest time of the month in my world....everyone is paying rent or spinning a tale about why they're not able to pay it....and boy do we hear some tales, let me tell ya!

Have a great evening all, it's almost the weekend!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #429
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I am down another 1/2 lb. I hope I stay in this mode, going in this direction. I still want to be back in Onederland by the end of this challenge. This is by far, not my first rodeo.

As I understand it Tammy, Mardi Gras is the day before Lent starts, Ash Wednesday, and you celebrate and indulge in preparation for Lent which is a time of sacrifice. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, so anyone who knows better, please step in and correct me.

I never had to fire anyone, but had to recommend people to be fired, based on their production. I always wondered if I was right about these people. The one company I worked for would send unproductive workers for retraining rather than firing them, but when the new owners took over...bad numbers, out you went.

Dr Jason Fung

Last edited by PACarolsue; 03-02-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #430
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/187.5/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Jan-so glad you are feeling better--you have been through it!

Carol--the KFC livers were breaded-but it has been a long time since I have had any--I will eat gizzards if they are pressure cooked and are super tender--we did have an amish buffet locally that cooked theirs like that--it closed but I don't think the other amish buffets do livers and gizzards! bacon wrapped would work nicely--I love chicken liver but hate beef liver with a passion. WTG on the weight loss--I don't even want to go there..

I made up some sugar scrub today---no matter what I do for moisturizing I still have flaky skin on my face--I found a recipe and I had some super smelling warm ginger soft soap--I can't find it anywhere anymore--it was a limited time soap--but you use 1 cup of sugar and add 1/4 cup of soap--I just used a mason jar to keep it in--will be trying it out later today...but it smells so yummy when I tried it on my hand!!

the weather is cold again today--I am spoiled with the warm temps but how far can spring be???

Carol-you are correct about Lent schedule and mardi gras--I have never been to mardi gras but I would love to be there during mardi gras!

the DH took the day off yesterday and we ran around spending money--bought a belt sander and belts--those things are not cheap--the DH is trying to build me a curved handrail--we have been here for 21 years and I wanted a handrail going to the basement-we priced some that were outrageous in price for a custom rail--it has a curve and they were in the hundreds...I am hoping this works for being cheaper--even buying the sander and belts is still way cheaper.

hello to everyone!

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins

Each decision that you make indicates what you think you are worth~
~~A Course in Miracles~~

Last edited by jbatchelor; 03-02-2017 at 12:24 PM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #431
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crazy1
Stats: 198/176/140
WOE: Lower Carb/ IF
Hello Friends,

I admit to celebrating Shrove Tuesday, as it is called where I live. A way of using up fats and rich foods in preparation for Lent. I am not Catholic but there are other Christian denominations that celebrate Shrove Tuesday.

I had pancakes twice on Tuesday ; I went for a pancake breakfast put on by a member of my church and then also had my in-laws over for a "pancake supper". My in-laws are actually Catholic and they had never celebrated Shrove Tuesday by eating pancakes. So different folks celebrate it different ways.

We had ham, bacon, and pancakes. I made the bacon in the oven and I can't say that I liked it. Oh, it tasted like bacon, but the texture was very different. Hard and brittle. MIL actually like it because it wasn't so chewy but it wasn't for me. Have any of you made bacon in the oven? Is it supposed to be brittle?

We have had weird weather so I have been doing my walking DVD's instead of braving the elements and walking outside. Might not be the best work out to do but at least it's something that I am working on consistently. Water intake has been meh, but I am a work in progress.

to those who had losses last month and to those who gave it a good shot! We will do it together!

Onward and downward!

Triumph!
Crazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #432
michelle204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/205/202.4/195
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
Hello all! I know it's been awhile. But i am down to just my phone for the internet and I find it so hard to read everything never mind respond.
It looks like everyone is doing a well a pound or two at a time. But that is way better then gaining. There is only one month left to this challenge and I am no where near where I had hoped to be. But 206 is better then 211. I have an ultra sound on April 6th and I really would like 10 more lbs gone by then.We'll see!

Weather here is still cold. -35 today. No spring insight here. I miss seeing grass.

Well thought I would check in and tell everyone I'm still here and hanging in.

Carry on the good work everyone!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #433
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle--good to see you--I understand totally about using the phone--I can't do anything but peck and it is so slow...

well--the curved handrail that we made didn't work out at all--much more involved when it goes down a stairwell--we made a curve that would have worked if not going on stairs--so there will be more involved than I care to think about-we might never get a handrail!! so frustrating when things don't work out...

Jan--did you get any bad weather--I saw on the news tonight that the tornado was on the ground for 44 miles!!! way too close for comfort..

crazy--your pancake dinner sounded wonderful--I need to have breakfast for dinner soon...and doing a DVD inside sounds like you are on track with the exercise too... hanging my head here.

well-time to think about bedtime--later friends

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins

~~A Course in Miracles~~
Old 03-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #434
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Wow, lots of activities going on in our lives--love hearing all the good news and positive stories!

Had a great LC day yesterday, made a corned beef later and fed off of it, just finished it for breakfast. Yes, a lot of food, but I find the first couple of days at induction-level eating I am so hungry! Usually subsides around day 3-4, just need to plan ahead for the weekend, my danger zone.

My nephew's wife had a baby Wednesday, so that is some sorely needed joy around here. She texted me the good news and pix just hours later--love modern technology!--and it was nice to congratulate them right away; am sending a gift today.

TGIF everyone!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #435
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, and happy Friday. We got a bit of snow last night, pretty but makes for a muddy mess as it is getting up in the 40's and sunny today. Oh well, it's still winter right?!?

My week went pretty well, hoping to have a good lst run of it this month. I got a "new" sewing machine this week so I've had fun playing w/it a bit. I really enjoy sewing especially making quilts...got two going right now. ANyway, that will probably keep me busy this weekend too.

Glad to see some of our MIA's checking in, Michelle and Tammy. Hope everyone else is well. Jan you haven't walked off the face of the earth yet have you, lol.

Everyone have a great and slimming weekend!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #436
ladyboss7
Major LCF Poster!

Hi guys!!

I'm here....super busy at work, but still working on getting back on track with plan....making progress....now it just needs to reflect on the scale!

Carol, firing people is always hard....it was the right thing to do, but it's still hard...especially when it's someone that you know and really like.

Jeanne, I'm sorry the rail didn't work out....that can be very frustrating! So sweet of DH to try and make one for you though....perhaps the next one will work better!

Crazy....omg I love pancakes!! I don't dare eat them though, I'd NEVER get back into ketosis! I have made bacon in the oven, not very often though, I prefer to fry it. I like my bacon super crispy, so the fact that the oven method does tend to make it a little brittle ok with me....but I still tend to prefer to fry it.

Michelle, so good to see you!! Totally understand about the phone thing, but it's still nice to see you pop in!

Going2, congrats on the baby....how wonderful! Nothing better than a new baby!! I haven't had corned beef in ages...that sounds so good!

Betsie, I used to sew....my mom had us girls all take lessons when we were kids. I used to be ok at it....not great...but passable....i've never really had the patience to slow down and take my time with it.

Wells kids, TGIF....let's have a great day!!

Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #437
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Betsie--I wondered if you were getting the snow? I knew it was south of us and I hate when it gets muddy...I wish I knew how to sew--never did learn and sewing was not offered when I went to school...I love quilts that are hand made--we have an auction up here in amish country that people come from everywhere--the quilts sell for hundreds and hundreds of dollars--they are so beautiful!

Tammy--yes I appreciate him trying to do the handrail...I really hope to get it figured out soon...I am trying to get back on track too--I only fail myself..

Going2--corned beef sounds so good--I haven't had that in a long time--I have pulled out the air fryer to do chicken legs for tonite--I keep learning with this appliance but haven't ventured into doing much--I keep checking the freezer and pulling out things that need to be used up.

cleaning and laundry for me today.. some things never end...but I enjoy being home..

Have a great weekend everyone

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #438
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

DH is down with a very bad cold, and since he is not eating, I'm hoping to get some fasting in for me. We'll see how I do.

It snowed here overnight and was just snowing up a storm, but now the sun is shining. Come on, sun! Once March comes, I figure spring is just around the corner and I will be sitting on my porch, soon. Wish I could take my computer out there. I can take my tablet, but the sun glare stops me from using it.

DH is Catholic, and he never heard of Shrove Tuesday or eating pancakes the day before Ash Wednesday. He thinks I'm nuts. He grew up in a 100% Slovak family and only knows Slovak traditions.

When I was a kid growing up, pancakes were a dinner thing, never breakfast. My mother made pancakes for dinner when money was tight. It filled us up for very little money. And I never liked syrup on them. Just butter. When I became an adult and started going out for breakfast with friends, I was surprised to see pancakes on the breakfast menu. You seem to know what goes on in your own family.

I have tried very hard to like bacon since it is such a big thing on LC diets, but It's just too salty for me. If I do eat it, I have to have a bite of egg on my fork along with the bacon, to offset the salt. I have given up on it.

No scale for me today. I don't feel "thin."

Dr Jason Fung
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #439
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

good sunday morning to all

we had a busy day yesterday--not sure if we got anything accomplished--we drove up into the amish district and tried to find a supplier for the wood for the next handrails--we are supposed to get a call from the only one we found there tomorrow--then we went to Lowes--they too are supposed to call if they find someone--we see to be at a stall... I am majorly stressed right now with all the things I want to get done--I think my blood sugar reflected that stress today!!

Carol--I want to hear how the fast goes--I think I could do that easier than an egg fast??? If I didn't have to cook for the DH I know my meals would be super simple...

I wish we had bacon more often--I do try to cook it in the oven when I do a large batch--yummy

well--I am going to accomplish something today- so I will return

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~
Old 03-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #440
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Carol, that is interesting about the niacin. Are you still taking it? Sorry to hear hubby is sick. How is your fast going?

Crazy, so glad you had a good trip. Way to go on not gaining! Good job! Sorry about those darn mosquitos. That was determination and probably expensive to stick out WW for a year! No wonder we turn to low carb to lose weight!

Going2, you can’t beat getting paid to get your exercise in, can you?

Mom and Dad’s 60th anniversary party was wonderful. About 25 people, family and some of their close friends.

Back in a few minutes.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #441
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Michelle, are you still having trouble with your food tasting off? I posted a few weeks back that I had the same thing happen when I took trace mineral drops.

Going2, good job on the exercise and food prep. When I worked in a health food store ladies would literally come running into the store, grab a product off the shelf called Hot Flash and say, OMG I ran out and this helps so much! I used a progesterone cream that I bought there and it helped me a lot! You just rub a small amount on the inside of your lower arm. Look for the book by John Lee, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause. Another huge help for me.

Saltnpepper, hi!! Good to see you.

Kal, yay on the weight loss!!!

Betsie, glad the scales is being nice you to you, too!! 136 is a new low for you, isn’t it? You said, going off plan is kinda dumb for the guilt we inflict on ourselves after doing it. Sooo true! No, I haven’t walked off the face of the earth, yet.

Tammy, sorry to hear the new job is so stressful. That is going to be a huge job getting all the managers in line. Here’s to getting back on track in March. I went back in our posts and I am still at the same weight I started at back in January. I bet you do hear some tales why the rent is late.

Jeanne, the tornado touched down less than 30 miles north of here, about 10 miles from my parent’s and brothers’ homes. There was a lot of damage.

I went to the grocery yesterday and today is prep day. I am doing a detox for the next 2 weeks along with a friend’s Facebook group. I will be having mostly salads, veggies and some fruit, smoothies, juice, bone broth, soups, nuts and seeds. Maybe some meat and try to stay away from cheese. Not sure if I will stay low carb but not going to worry about it for these 2 weeks if I don’t. Focusing more on starting spring healthy and energetic.

Last edited by Janilyn; 03-05-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Old 03-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #442
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Promise to myself, never get this far behind or stay away from you wonderful ladies for so long again!

Carol, way to go on the half pound. I know you will see Onederland by April 3.

Jeanne, how did you like the scrub you made? Sorry the handrail did not work out.

Michelle, I hate having to just use my phone. Sometimes I go to the library to use the internet.

Going2, congratulations on the new great nephew!!

Betsy, the night after the tornado went through the temps dropped and we had snow, too. HUGE flakes that were long and flat. Looked more like feathers coming down. Beautiful.

What is corned beef?
Old 03-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #443
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Jan-love your new avatar--beautiful!! It inspired me to get my wreath out and decorate the front door!! that means it is officially spring when I get the wreath out.that is my new avatar--it doesn't show up so well but it is made totally from tulips and it is really beautiful...so glad you and your family were safe from the tornado--the pictures on tv looked terrible!

Jan-the two week challenge sounds good--I stay away from most fruits--I do raspberries, blueberries and strawberries...I do pop an occasional grape into my mouth--I could go crazy with those--I read once it is one carb per grape! yikes-I could do a week's worth of carbs!

It has been a wonderful day--we worked outside and burnt off the dead stuff on our garden and then DH tilled it up...time to plan a garden soon...and he also put up the purple martin houses...they will be migrating locally soon--I expect them to be a bit earlier with these warm temps..

went to a place called traderbakers which is a place where people have booths and sell gobs of different stuff--you will never know what you find--found a little picture frame that was 4x4--super hard to find--and I turned it over when I got home the glass fell out and broke--I will have to have another piece of glass cut I guess??? grrr!

well-time to start thinking about dinner--I made chicken legs in the air fryer yesterday and that will be the leftovers tonite...

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~

Last edited by jbatchelor; 03-05-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Old 03-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #444
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne, love your new avatar, too. You have the pretty wreath up so let's declare it officially Spring! It is exciting to start getting ready for the birds and garden.
Thanks! We are all lucky the tornado didn't come any closer.
I have been to Traderbakers before, too. I wonder if you find the right size glass in a cheap frame at one of the Goodwills?

I am already rethinking my food for the next few weeks. You all know me. Always changing my mind and changing things up. I just did 2 weeks of juice, broth, soup, etc. last month and my body is saying let's do low carb!! Maybe even do a short Egg Fast.

This is different than the detox I have done with this group before where you add juicing and eliminating the bad stuff. For this one the meals are all planned out, there are a lot of veggies in the recipes I don't like, and there is more cooking to do than I have time for, or want to do right now.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #445
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Jan-the scrub separated every day and I had to stir it awhile to get it mixed up again so I considered it a fail and flushed it all away.. then yesterday I ran into dollar tree and saw an apricot scrub there--I will try it tomorrow--can't beat the price...

I am thinking I can do intermittent fasting during the week when I can just take care of me eating---so I think I will try that this week...

I enjoy reading about your different ways you keep trying--well-I enjoy reading about everyone's different takes here--that is what I love the most--we are all totally different and trying different things--what a great group to learn from!!!

cya tomorrow

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~
Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #446
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Morning, all!

My Monday weigh-in is, well, I had it coming after slacking last week. Looking forward to a good week ahead tho', staying positive and spirited.

Keep trying new things here too, see what works, or "sticks" rather, and still haven't found a consistent method. Speaking of the psychology involved with weight and health, I keep going back to the start of this challenge and what I did to drop 7 lbs. right off the bat, what was working then. Think it was mostly activity and some discipline with eating, also not socializing, which keeps eating badly at bay. We have at least 3 social events this week, so I need to plan ahead.

Jeanne - Love hearing about getting the garden ready--a sure sign of spring's arrival! The greenest my thumb will ever be is with the AeroGarden (Web pic) we got for Christmas, doing very well considering my kitteh keeps mowing the catnip and some grass I planted in a dead "pod." I bought an air fryer but have only used it a couple of times, what else have you cooked with yours?

Jan - Corned beef is a type of curing process w salt, kinda like making ham but with beef. Used to slow-cooker it for a couple hours until tender before I got a pressure cooker, popular for St. Patrick's day meals, a la "corned beef and cabbage." Sounds like the detox plan is really clean, light eating? Seems LC enough too, sure to be energizing. You are blessed to see your parents celebrate 60 years together--wow!

Carol - Sorry to hear you had a man down with a cold there, heh heh. Pancakes for dinner would've been a treat when I was young. My mom would make 2 of them at a time in a round skillet so that they were kinda elongated ovals and I was surprised to find later that "normal" pancakes are round--hahaha--family traditions! Used to looooove bacon, but don't think of it as all that these days. I periodically get reduced sodium turkey "fakon" for us (yah, I know what's in it) as a treat and made a batch of the "real" stuff yesterday for DH's sandwiches and meal enhancement (soups, salads), but that only happens a handful of times a year.

Betsielou - Sewing is such a lost art these days! I admire the patience of quilters--the end results are pieces of art! I bought a sewing machine at the start of my marriage 20 years ago after having some beginner machine-sewing experience and only used it a few times in the early years for mending. Even bought a pattern and fabric to make super easy summer shorts and tops, but alas, it was never to be. It's collecting dust but is one of those appliances I worry about really needing one day and not having.

Michelle - Nice to hear from you, just check in when you can. This group will surely move on to another challenge when this one completes and those of us struggling will continue to have support and motivation from friends we made here--such an amazing group!

Crazy - Good for you keeping movement going indoors when the weather's bad! Never made oven-cooked bacon, but hear you can cook BIG batches that way, heh heh. Interesting--and yummy!--to hear about "pancake Tuesday."
Old 03-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #447
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Funny to see some asking me how my fast went. It went fast. LOL I never even did it. Food jumped into my line of vision and it was all over. I have been off plan the past couple days and planning to get back on today. I didn't eat after dinner last night, so that was a start. I am planning on doing 16:8 a few days a week and throwing in a couple 23:1 days, here and there. I also would like to start regular exercising, 5 days a week, with 2 of those days being weight/strengthening exercise days. These are my intentions.

DH is feeling much better. I haven't seen him that sick for a long time. I am sniffling now, but I think it's more allergies, but it will be a wonder if I don't catch what he had.

I don't think I have a spring wreath for the door. If not, I think I will buy one. My door isn't as nice as yours, Jeanne, no side lights, but it will brighten things up. I also have a shepherds hook out front with nothing hanging on it. Maybe I will put some artificial flowers in a pot to hang there until it's warm enough for hanging baskets. Big plans.

I love apricot scrub. I buy it cheap in Walmart. I will have to check Dollar Tree. Walmart's is not that cheap. I use it on my elbows and heels to remove dry skin.

I need a new avatar, too.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 03-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #448
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning friends!!!

Going2—WTG on the scale victory!!! Awesome!!!

Michelle-hope things are good way up north?

I am going to try to fast right through lunch today and this week M-F if I can handle it!! Of course just saying that and I am starved..I wonder if a person can have broth and still be considered fasting??

I am going to paint a little today-small steps right?

I just got a call from an amish lady where we visited Saturday with a quote for the wood DH wants to try a handrail again—she had a screaming baby right next to her and I could barely hear—of course I forgot to get the number where she was calling but I think I may have found it in the phonebook-I called and it rang and rang and I was able to leave a message—most amish are not allowed to have a phone in their home and they put one out on a pole so they can’t hear it in the winter…I hope I get a call back!

Have a great week girls

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~

Last edited by jbatchelor; 03-06-2017 at 06:59 AM..
Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #449
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, happy Monday. Kinda rainy and yucky here today but honestly I don't mind because then I don't feel so bad about sitting in front of my sewing machine all day. I only learned to sew about, well lets see it's been about 12 yrs ago now. Anyway, I mostly pieced quilts at first although I did make a couple of things for my children, but for about the last 10 yrs I have been making all my clothes and some for my DH and two boys. My DD can do all her own sewing. Now, I sew for myself still, and then quilts and crafts. It is a lost art, but more so in the clothing realm. I am glad I learned though and would be glad to teach others if someone was so inclined. My mom, aunt and grandmother were all sewers but my mom worked, a lot, so she never had time to teach me. Ok enough rambling on the sewing thing.

Carol- I didn't do so well this weekend either so once again putting my nose to the grinding stone starting today. Should put my hips, and belly to it too LOL. I like doing the 16:8 fast, to me it is the easiest but I haven't done it much this year. I did two days a week last year and I really think it helped. I think I'll go back to it, thanks for the motivation.

Jan- glad you haven't walked yourself away from us. Sounds like you have some interesting things going on, the cleanse and all. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

Michelle- hi, is it still cold up there? We are still pretty moderate for winter.

Tammy- sounds like work is keeping you hopping. Seems like that would derail me, although I am easily derailed these days.

Crazy- walking DVD's sound interesting, I should look into getting one to try myself. I think my family would really get a kick out of seeing me do that.

Going- sometimes I think switching things up a bit it helpful too. Keeps our bodies guessing, lol. Hope you are able to get something figured out.

Jeanne- we have a traderbakers here, not very close to us but we have been there before. We have a lot of those type of in-door fleas markets here in KY and I always enjoying going to them.

Well, sorry if I didn't get to everyone but hi and I hope everyone is well. Our challenge is rapidly coming to and end which really makes my head spin because that means we are that much farther into the new year. I believe each year I get older the time flies even faster!!!

Have a great week.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #450
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday!! I saw a picture of myself from behind that was taken on Thursday and I am smaller than I thought. A good feeling! The scales is moving down since starting the detox so I am going to stick with it and see what happens.

We still have 28 days in this challenge so let’s all finish strong, whether we meet our goals or not…says the one (Me) who is still at her starting weight.

Jeanne, I appreciate the support no matter what I decide to do and love learning about what everyone else is doing, too. Sorry the scrub didn’t work out but glad you found some you like and cheap, too! Best of luck doing IF. I never have had much luck with it. Yes, I have heard of many who drink broth while they are fasting.

What!!?? The Amish have their phone outside because they can’t have one in the house? Sounds like the show Green Acres or was it Petticoat Junction where their phones were on a pole?

Going2, it is great that you can analyze what is working and what isn’t and know what to go back to. I love your garden! My cat would devour it and probably sleep in it.

So where does the corned or corn come in with corned beef?

We ARE very blessed to still have both of our parents and that they are still together after 60 years.

The detox could be low carb but I think I am going to do it like it is. Soups made with sweet potatoes or pumpkin, oatmeal, roasted veggies all make it higher carb. Yes, I think I will feel really good when the 2 weeks are over. It seems my body is responding better and maybe needs more good carbs for awhile. I have been eating a lot more calories than usual and the numbers on the scales are moving down.

I do feel like I am cheating on our LOW CARB group, though!

Carol, your fast did go fast!! Good luck with your IF. That sounds more doable to me. Happy to hear your DH is feeling better.

Betsy, LOL!! You are putting your mind, hips, and belly to the grinding stone? You always crack me up.

Last edited by Janilyn; 03-06-2017 at 11:49 AM..