Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
ironicwoman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ironicwoman
Stats: 205/185/160
WOE: JUDDD ~ It's working! It's working!
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 2/02/12 ReStarted JUDDD: 3/25/14
How do you keep your recipes organized?

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you keep your recipes from here (and other sites organized)? I have a bunch I've saved in my favorites but I bet some of you have a better system.
ironicwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I copy and paste mine into a .txt file using Notepad, then they go into my Recipes folder under My Documents.

THEN I hook up my Kindle and transfer via USB cable - the .txt files go right into the Documents folder on the Kindle, and I have a Recipes category - so when I want to cook something, I take my Kindle DX to the kitchen, put it on the counter on its little stand, turn it on to the recipe I want, enlarge the font so it's easy to see - and off I go!

They're always on my computer too so I can browse them there first if I want.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
christyjo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
I also use Notepad.
Since I am somewhat tech-challenged, it is pretty easy. Under MY Documents, Create a folder, mine is very original, its called "Low Carb". I then have categories:

When I find a recipe I want to add, I just copy and paste into either an existing category, or open Wordpad and make a new one. When you do the save as, give it a name and it will save to your folder.

I got an E-Reader for Christmas as well, just for taking my recipes to the counter top, but DH got me a Dell Mini as well, just for the kitchen. I was printing gazillions of recipes and now I save lots of paper. I do use the reader for reading

hth,
christyjo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lc screenshot.jpg (44.9 KB, 60 views)
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
christyjo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
Just looking at that screen shot tells me I need to do some major sorting! Ignore the "junk" folders, they just ended up in there!
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
momacat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momacat
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyjo View Post
I also use Notepad.
Since I am somewhat tech-challenged, it is pretty easy. Under MY Documents, Create a folder, mine is very original, its called "Low Carb". I then have categories:

When I find a recipe I want to add, I just copy and paste into either an existing category, or open Wordpad and make a new one. When you do the save as, give it a name and it will save to your folder.

hth,
christyjo
This is pretty much what I do also.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
MsWoods
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Well, I have a huge folder of recipes I printed off and put in those laminated sheet thingies and put in a binder. I've also made a rolodex of recipes, but my mom took that one.

Since I've started using fAtsecret, I've been working on putting my recipes on there. I love it. It looks like an old timey recipe book page and it also keeps track of the nutritional information and breaks it down into servings. And you can find specific brands of ingredients to add to your recipe. I lurve it.

I hate saving things to my computer and only relying on that because my computers tend to crash often. I rather just put all my stuff on the internet so I can get to it whenever I want.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
jjMustang
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jjMustang
Stats: 256.6/208/185
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Low Cal: 04/2009; Low Carb: 12/2010
Microsoft OneNote. I can copy and paste from the web into OneNote and it will automatically include a link to the source. I can then access it from any of my computers and my phone.

I have a Recipes notebook, divided into sections for Breakfast, Sandwiches, Main Dishes, Desserts, Ingredients, etc, with each recipe being a page in that notebook. It makes it easy to find and search for recipes, and I can easily email them from within OneNote.
jjMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
melissakw
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melissakw
Stats: 178/156/134 5'5"
WOE: Atkins OWL <25
Start Date: July 17, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Well, I have a huge folder of recipes I printed off and put in those laminated sheet thingies and put in a binder. I've also made a rolodex of recipes, but my mom took that one.
Was actually thinking about getting a binder and some laminated sheets over this weekend to begin to make my own recipe book. I like to have it 'on paper' for use in the kitchen. I frequently take my laptop into the kitchen currently when I cook, but it gets messy.

Haven't used Fatsecret - I like the sound of that - think I'll have to check it out!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Truffles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 146/142/130 JUDDD restart
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD re-1/16
LLots of great ideas! I really need to get my collection of recipes sorted before it gets out of control! Im thinking laminating and putting into a folder. I do want to get more involved in fatsecret too. Thanks for all the tips!
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
dianafoot
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I love the Kindle idea! I copy and paste the recipe into a Word Document, then I format it the way that it's easiest for me to read -- i.e., take out all but the skeleton directions and the bare ingredients. Then I group the ingredients and give directions for each step along the set of ingredients it goes with. I bullet each step and each ingredient.

I file them under recipes, then by type, and sometimes further by author, if there is someone whose recipes are always amazing.

To use, I put my small laptop on the counter, maximize the page and I'm good to go!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
soon
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
I also copy and pastemine into Word and than into my documents underfolder lcfriends

.i print some and they are in a brown envy
Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I use a device called a Demy. It is just a cookbook site. It is very easy to use. I just copy and past to the Demy, and all the recipes are there. I love it because I can take it to my cabin and use it there, too. Just google it. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 199.6/182/150
WOE: Atkins 4/09; CNS/Ultra LC 4/16
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 67
I'm still in the dark ages. I still print mine out on 8x11 paper, put them into plastic sheet protectors and house them in 3-ring notebooks by category. I had our remodeling contractor custom build a base cabinet that houses my potatoes, onions and fruit in bins at the bottom and that has a tall shelf above just for all my tall cookbooks. I have 19 notebooks at present. Most of my normal-size cookbooks I keep in one of our many bookshelves.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Phos4us
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phos4us
Stats: I'm trying to give up the scale! 5'11"/41 yrs
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: May 25, 2011
I use a variety of things.
I use notepad to save some on my computer.
If they make it into the "use regularly" category, I print it on index cards which are housed in my kitchen spice shelf.

The ones that I don't use all the time, but often enough, I printed out and bound into a little book. Well, not so little now.

Just lately I've also converted them into an ebook file to have on my kindle Very handy! Especially when the kindle is in a water proof bag to protect it from those kitchen spills

And I also use my blog as the reference point for my own recipes.
In future I think I will stick with the ebook option as it seems the easiest to update and have everything in one place at all times!

“How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” ~Trina Paulus

"The thing that is really hard - and really amazing - is giving up on being perfect, and beginning the true work of becoming yourself." ~Anna Quindlen

Daily Bytes Recipe Blog
Phos4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I also use note pad. And put them in catorgories, beef, chicken ,salads, etc.

But I love the kindle idea. I'm thinking about that one.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
Ocean
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I copy and paste them to a word document and print them out. I then put them in page protectors in a binder. I like to be able to read the recipe as I cook it and if something gets on the page protectors, they just wipe off.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
gharkness
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Evernote! It keeps all my recipes sync'd up between all my computers, phones and tablet devices. I can even scan in, and it will read the recipe, so I can search by word. I always include the picture that came with the recipe, too. It searches within pdf's as well, if you have the paid version. The free version is awesome, too.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
Jentastic
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jentastic
Stats: 225/160(2007) 208/204/140
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 10/02/2013
I use a blog. It's private because, well, it's just for me and I'm not into breaking any kind of copyright junk.

For me it's the best system I could manage. I have a bazillion and one catagories for everything. So it's automatically organized at the click of a button.
Jentastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #19
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
I also copy and pastemine into Word and than into my documents underfolder lcfriends

.i print some and they are in a brown envy
Same, and I gave up trying to print. Waaaay too many good ones and no room to store them! A Kindle is on my wish list for either birthday, Christmas, or just because
What I have to do one day is organize them, chicken, beef, salad, etc. But when I do a search in my folder the recipes pop up anyway with the ingredient I am searching for.

Last edited by Tilly; 09-28-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #20
Nikki2777
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Lot of good ideas here!

I plan on stealing a few; thanks all.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #21
ItsOverSugar
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ItsOverSugar
Stats: 243.5/242.5/150 (highest wt 287)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 7/1/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentastic View Post
I use a blog. It's private because, well, it's just for me and I'm not into breaking any kind of copyright junk.

For me it's the best system I could manage. I have a bazillion and one catagories for everything. So it's automatically organized at the click of a button.
I love this idea! I'm off to create one right now!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #22
ironicwoman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ironicwoman
Stats: 205/185/160
WOE: JUDDD ~ It's working! It's working!
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 2/02/12 ReStarted JUDDD: 3/25/14
Wow, you all are brilliant. Right now, my recipes are everywhere. lol Their saved in my favorites. I've got a notebook started. I have lots of recipes printed off, I've always had the dream of sorting them into categories, I just haven't taken the time. Some of the things you mentioned I don't have a clue what they are, but I'm off to check em out! Thanks for your help!
ironicwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #23
millergirl1976
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 158/158/135<- 28in waist
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 3/5/18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I copy and paste mine into a .txt file using Notepad, then they go into my Recipes folder under My Documents.

THEN I hook up my Kindle and transfer via USB cable - the .txt files go right into the Documents folder on the Kindle, and I have a Recipes category - so when I want to cook something, I take my Kindle DX to the kitchen, put it on the counter on its little stand, turn it on to the recipe I want, enlarge the font so it's easy to see - and off I go!

They're always on my computer too so I can browse them there first if I want.

This is the best idea ever! I have a Kindle. I am working on this tonight.

What I have always done, is keep them on the computer in a Recipes folder, then print them out as I try them. If they are keepers, they go to a three-ring binder.

However! I am joining this century, tonight!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
SummerAnne
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I'm still in the dark ages. I still print mine out on 8x11 paper, put them into plastic sheet protectors and house them in 3-ring notebooks by category.
That's how I do it for the recipes I've tried and know I will make again. I'm a messy cook, I don't want my tech in the kitchen with me!

My issue is the recipes I want to try. I don't want to print them until I'm ready to try, because I may never get around to trying them, especially the ones with odd ingredients I can't buy locally.

Bookmarks are just not working for me, too many of them. I tried setting up a OneNote notebook, but I found it too time consuming initially to copy my bookmarks over and quit and never touched it again.

Edit: I'm giving OneNote another go, if only to distracting me from my preteen having a hissy fit about doing dishes. MUST NOT ENGAGE THE HORMONAL MESS!

Last edited by SummerAnne; 12-05-2011 at 04:09 PM..
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #25
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerAnne View Post
Edit: I'm giving OneNote another go, if only to distracting me from my preteen having a hissy fit about doing dishes. MUST NOT ENGAGE THE HORMONAL MESS!

Good luck with both! I have 2 hormonal teen daughters, lots of fun! (Actually, sometimes yes and a lot of times NO!)
I don't know what OneNote is. I use Word documents and store them in files. I am determined to find an occasion to buy myself a Kindle to store them all on there and then prop it up on my countertop to view them as I need them. Not sure if I can do searches for particular recipes on it, though.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
Midnight
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midnight
Wow! this could get me excited about a kindle. I have tried many differet ways.
1. Printing out and putting in notebooks. I like the written page, some of the draw backs are I usually edit the recipe, then have to take it back to the computer to make changes which never gets done. the other problem is I know I have it but be darned if I can find it. I also have many notebooks full of LC friends recipes, many outdated because some of the ingredients are no longer available.
2. Saving them as copy/paste into word document, or onenote maybe a little easier to find but sometimes it becomes out of sight out of mind. Kind of like putting them on a wish list. I admire you folks that see the recipe, copy it and cook it all within a few days.
3. Things I've noticed about my recipe collecting habits. Many times what was a great recipe this month changes for me. I am either off the food plan or onto something different. I have lurked here for years and see trends and changes in products that are available. I just got done cleaning out my pantry and have stuff I don't even know what I bought it for or how to use it. Some of the recipes I have been disappointed in, thinking it would be like the real deal, like cauliflour potatoes, when I really need to accept it is not like potatoes, is is mashed cauliflour, calling it potatoes sets me up for disappointment. I guess what I am trying to say is to know yourself and your habits. I love sharing ideas. what works for me may sound terrible for someone else.
The one thing that has worked consistantly for me is I keep a food journal that is a 3 ring notebook. I date my entry, and record what I used, how it turned out and would I make it again. When I want to retreive it I look in an index which is a list of enteries by date, and recipe name and my comment "ok" etc. Not the greatest, but for some reason it works for me.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #27
SummerAnne
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Wow! this could get me excited about a kindle. I have tried many differet ways.
1. Printing out and putting in notebooks. I like the written page, some of the draw backs are I usually edit the recipe, then have to take it back to the computer to make changes which never gets done. the other problem is I know I have it but be darned if I can find it. I also have many notebooks full of LC friends recipes, many outdated because some of the ingredients are no longer available.
2. Saving them as copy/paste into word document, or onenote maybe a little easier to find but sometimes it becomes out of sight out of mind. Kind of like putting them on a wish list. I admire you folks that see the recipe, copy it and cook it all within a few days.
3. Things I've noticed about my recipe collecting habits. Many times what was a great recipe this month changes for me. I am either off the food plan or onto something different. I have lurked here for years and see trends and changes in products that are available. I just got done cleaning out my pantry and have stuff I don't even know what I bought it for or how to use it. Some of the recipes I have been disappointed in, thinking it would be like the real deal, like cauliflour potatoes, when I really need to accept it is not like potatoes, is is mashed cauliflour, calling it potatoes sets me up for disappointment. I guess what I am trying to say is to know yourself and your habits. I love sharing ideas. what works for me may sound terrible for someone else.
The one thing that has worked consistantly for me is I keep a food journal that is a 3 ring notebook. I date my entry, and record what I used, how it turned out and would I make it again. When I want to retreive it I look in an index which is a list of enteries by date, and recipe name and my comment "ok" etc. Not the greatest, but for some reason it works for me.
Oh I can so relate to this part I bolded! I'll add an ingredient to my shopping list thinking I'll make a recipe, but a week later when I shop I can't remember what the heck I was going to do with it. I started putting the recipe name next to the ingredient on my shopping list, then slapping a post it note or label on the item with the recipe name once I get it home if I'm not using it immediately.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #28
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/187.5/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I am wishing for a Kindle Fire from Santa--very doubtful if it will materialize--and with my computing ability--not sure I could still get the recipes in it--I am trying to learn just by reading all these comments!! I love that the kindle will let you increase the font size--I am dealing with old eyes here!! that would be so helpful!!
I am printing all of mine out--I have stacks that I have to go through each time I am looking for a recipe--I am just not organized at all!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 12-06-2011 at 04:38 PM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

I have too many from my old way of eating that I printed out or cut out from magazines that, to this day I have yet to file. But I like having them on the computer, then I can not only look for something by name, I search sometimes by ingredient, or by who posted the recipe. I found a pork tenderloin in the freezer so I did a search (in my low carb folder) on pork and found what I was looking for. Not the best system and like SummerAnne said, out of site out of mind with saving them. But that's okay. I have learned I need to make something new, eat it up, then start on another. I can't keep making because then I keep eating! But like to file them away anyway.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #30
RVcook
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I'm still in the dark ages. I still print mine out on 8x11 paper, put them into plastic sheet protectors and house them in 3-ring notebooks by category...
DITTO!!!

I did the recipe box 'thing'; did the computer 'thing'; did the rolodex 'thing'; did the laminated sheet 'thing'; did the recipe software 'thing'.

1. Recipe box got jammed full, recipes got dog-eared and misfiled.
2. Computer was great until the hard drive crashed...grrrrrr...
3. Rolodex got so jammed, I had to put it away and it was a pain to get out when I needed to.
4. Laminated sheets 'gave-up' their stick and the recipes fell out.
5. Software (see #2 above)

In the end, I LOVE the sheet protectors that hold the collection of recipes I have been gathering since the 70's. There is one drawback however, the darned book is so big, I had to purchase a special metal hinged binder to hold everything! And it weighs a TON!!! Still...it is the most comprehensive way for me to organize my favorites

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote