Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #61
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Sorry you are having a rough time. Back on it, that's the spirit.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #62
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Sorry, you are having a tough time. We are about to get slammed with yet another Nor' Easter here in NY so try to enjoy that FL sunshine.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #63
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Sorry you are having a rough time. Back on it, that's the spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Sorry, you are having a tough time. We are about to get slammed with yet another Nor' Easter here in NY so try to enjoy that FL sunshine.
Thanks,ladies! I'm feeling better today (shoulder still crap, though) after about ten hours of sleep. That picked up my energy and I got through some admin chores that had piled up. I've also reset my May 15 goal by ten lb, cause 150 ain't gonna happen. And that picks me up too (the resetting).

Carly: I follow the Northeast weather news closely, as it involves not only my beloved cabin but most of my friends and relations. It's been crazy, I know. Wish you were here to enjoy the sunshine (we have seen no hot-hot weather at all this winter).

I'm going to start the spring challenge thread I promised a while back. I rely so much on these boards for focus and inspiration. Look for the new thread soon!

Been meaning to say that another benefit of this personal Final Frontier thread is that it gives me a record of what I did and when I did it. I'm fixing to do some serious z-fasting for the next six weeks, but I had forgotten exactly what I did and what worked best--until I looked here!

Last edited by p0rtia; 03-20-2018 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Had another thought! :=D
p0rtia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #64
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
Looking forward to the Spring Thing - Spring Fling

My weight is going up, not down, so much and too much is food!

Will do my best to get to goal and hope for under that also! 112 - 108 I shall be!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #65
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

And feeling even better on day 3 of this week's z-fast. Had much more energy for tennis this AM. No hunger to speak of--as if my bod just cruises into fast mode and enjoys it.

I've tweaked my system a bit -- I'm ingesting 100 calories each day, in the form of whey protein. I've been worried about not getting enough protein with so much fasting, and the whey gives me 24 g of protein. Not a lot, but not nothing.

Last week I bailed on the four-day fast on the evening of the fourth day. I felt crappy, and I really wanted to play energetic tennis the next morning, so I decided to break the fast and have a hearty LC supper. That experience started me thinking about doing 100 cal per day. I've been toying with this ideafor a while, and the protein seems to check all the boxes for me.

I plan to continue the fast through Friday morning this week, as I am curious to see if the protein makes a difference in my energy at tennis on Friday morning.

Thanks to JUDDD and all the JBs here, a whole world of pseudo-fasting has opened up to me. For me, 100 calories a day is for all intents and purposes the same as 0 calories a day, in that it doesn't kick me out of ketosis, it doesn't awaken the ghrelin gremlin, and it doesn't make a significant difference in my calorie deficit. Accent on "for me".

As I've said many times, I really, really like fasting. I'd like to use it to get closer to my goal range, but yeah, I worry about the protein. And I'm not crazy about the drop in energy on day four. So this tweak may be a keeper. We'll see!

So about the aftermath of the way-too-many calories of the high carb variety towards the end of Feb and the first two weeks of March. My goal to be in my maintenance range by mid-May has been thrown off the rails by that. That bothered me a bit, but I'm pretty sanguine about it now. That's the way it goes, and I know that. So right now, with clear sailing ahead of me for WLM for at least several months, I'm happy to be doing LC and fasting most of the week. I hope I can maintain my energy with this system. If not, I'll go back to EOD JUDDD LC.

Wanted to mention that I've run across the accounts of other folks who have done this for lengthy periods of time for WLM. And it is not far off some of Fung's recommendations. I've had a long talk with myself about why I prefer this to EOD. Bottom line is, I am at great peace while fasting. I like not having to think about what I'm going to eat. It is healing.

My one issue is that I continue to have problems staying within my calorie budget on the three days I do eat (Fri, Sat, Sun). I am trying to do UD (eat to satiety, LC), DD (LC), UD (eat to satiety, LC). Last weekend I was unable to do the Saturday DD. I will try again this weekend. I find that I do best when I am at home, and in my routine, for the DD in this pattern.

Excelsior!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:38 AM   #66
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
My goal to be in my maintenance range by mid-May has been thrown off the rails by that. That bothered me a bit, but I'm pretty sanguine about it now. That's the way it goes, and I know that...

Excelsior!
I occasionally wonder how much more straightforward both WLM and maintenance would be if we could take a pass from life's vicissitudes and, frankly, periodic viciousness.

You're very clear-eyed about what is happening.

We mun dree oor wyrds. Or, to quote from one of my favourite letters, wind our clocks, for tomorrow is another day and as long as we're alive, we keep moving forward so we have to choose whether to swim, doggy paddle, or take on water.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #67
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Much, much more straightforward. But thus it ever was and ever shall be.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #68
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

So I played tennis this AM following a four day z-fast, supplemented by 100 cals 24/g of whey protein the last three days. So this was the morning of Day 5, my intent being to break my fast with a nice lunch.

Annnnnnd, that didn't work. I wasn't weak or dizzy or anything, I just had no energy. It was clear to me that the bod had started to slow down to compensate for the missing food. So I dashed to the nearby convenience store after 20 minutes and got some almonds. Didn't really help (and I am doing LC, so I wasn't going to have the carbs that probably would have picked me up instantly. I played for two hours, but without any umph.

Hokay! Next week I will break my fast on the evening of the fourth night (Thurs). Sort of a half-week fast, followed by UD, DD, UD. Playing tennis is very important to me, so I need to adapt the plan to accommodate my need for high energy.

Grist for the mill.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #69
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Three weeks of LC and z-fasts and I am a different person, mentally and physically. Crazy. But not.

Just dropping by to note that on day four of this week's z-fast I have incredible energy and no hunger. My plan is to break fast tonight after 7, so that I can avoid feeling draggy at tennis the morning of day five. I've got all my foods lined up, but, gee whiz I have so much energy I'm having second thoughts. Last week I felt logy the afternoon of day four, and didn't have enough energy for tennis, so I came up with the Thursday supper idea. But now I'm having second thoughts. What to do, what to do....
Old 04-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #70
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Day three of week three of four-day z-fasting. This week I'm going back to the full four days of fasting. Although breaking fast on the evening of the fourth day gave me full energy for tennis the next morning, I was dissatisfied with what turned out to be 3.5 days of fairly unrestrained LC eating.

So I've decided to break my fast early in the morning of the fifth day instead, a couple of hours before tennis.It may be a small thing, that extra twelve hours, but if it brings peace of mind, I'm for it.

There's a fine line....
Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #71
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Day three of my fourth week of four-day fasting. Despite my concerns about too many calories Fri-Sun, I am steadily losing, and staying in ketosis. Not weighing, because it turns out that the slow progress is enough to rattle me. Not weighing + sticking to plan is soooo peaceful. I am in the rut and loving it, with the various bugs of energy for tennis and getting some protein happily solved. And I a getting really good at enjoying the looking forward to a wonderful meal--even when it is two days away (or 36 hours away, but who's counting).

It's rather amazing how enjoyable the looking forward for multiple days is. Not because I'm hungry (I'm not), but because, I think, I get to do a thing I really enjoy without a speck of guilt--or any negative result at all. I'm not at all sure this is the ideal approach--I wonder if this is entitled eating, or pseudo-binging, or just too weird--but it is where I am right now, and it feels good. I'm just trying to keep an eye on myself. I still do not see this as a long-term, maintenance plan--it is definitely extreme WLM.

Since I'm having 200 cals on fast days now, both for protein and to make the tummy happy, I feel a bit like I'm doing OMAD--with low cal. In fact, there's not a lot different between Carly doing Stillman's this week and eating minimal cals, and me doing <200 cal fasting. Is there? Roads merge!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #72
Carly

I'm on my 3rd week of Stillman's M-Th or M-F. It's working pretty well. This week will be the last then I'm on vacation for a little over a week. I'll see what my plan will be when I get back to it the 2nd week of May.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #73
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm on my 3rd week of Stillman's M-Th or M-F. It's working pretty well. This week will be the last then I'm on vacation for a little over a week. I'll see what my plan will be when I get back to it the 2nd week of May.
I'm on my fifth and last week of <200 cal fasting, M-Thurs. I wasn't sure I would do it this week, but I'm feeling good and, in truth, it feels quite normal to me. But I think that's enough serious fasting for a while, mainly because I'm not happy with the Fri-Sat-Sun focus on eating--I have other things I like to do on the weekends!

So I plan on doing JUDDD EOD LC for May (starting with my first DD on Monday). This is my last month in Fla (May), and I'll be interested to see if I can stick to my UD calorie budget!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #74
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Note to self: Day 3 of fifth week of M-Th fast, F-Su LC to satiety. Good energy today but sleep disruption is becoming a problem. May be due in part or full to shoulder pain at night.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #75
Kissa

That dang shoulder injury is dragging on p0rtia, ae getting attention for it?

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #76
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
That dang shoulder injury is dragging on p0rtia, ae getting attention for it?
Thank you for asking. It's actually coming along nicely. I have full range of motion, no pain (except sometimes in the middle of the night when my biceps tighten up for some reason), and can do everything in life and on the tennis court except serve. Health insurance doesn't cover me in Florida, but a good friend is an experience PT, and we did a video session early on that confirmed rotator cuff injury of some sort (or shoulder impingement).

The therapy for that family of injury is all the same (try to let it heal and build up strength to see if that does the trick before considering surgery), so I've been doing that, with good results. I don't even think about it any more (which of course makes me forget to do the daily therapy!) except at 2 AM and on the courts. I have a doctor's appointment up north the first week of June, so we'll see what they say then.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #77
Carly

I threw in the towel on Stillman's last night. I was dreadfully worn out and I needed food other than lean protein. After vacation, I'm thinking of doing a nice stretch of EOD.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #78
Kissa

Glad you are progressing p0rtia.

Totally understand Carly, mixing it up is often the way to go.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #79
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

I love this choice, Carly. After fifty years of off and on dieting, it was only a couple of years ago that I realized that I need to use my brain to make decisions about whether a hack or a WL Plan is working for me or not. That is power.

See you shortly for some EOD (which I am staring Monday April 30 with a DD).