Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 AM   #1
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
December Daily Chat

We're in the run-up to Christmas, New Year, Hannukah, and many other festivities. This is where we share our news, plans, arrangements, and lots of other JB thoughts.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #2
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
We're in the run-up to Christmas, New Year, Hannukah, and many other festivities. This is where we share our news, plans, arrangements, and lots of other JB thoughts.
Thank you, Slow! I know I speak for all when I say how much I appreciate all you do for the JUDDD community. Every. Day.

I start my December in good shape mentally and physically. Surprisingly, I find myself in WLM, having worked out a plan to weave in and out of my various social commitments and travels for the next week.

I've learned this year that I need a plan. Without a plan, i lose focus and get nervy and doubt myself, and, oddly enough, I don't enjoy eating. With a plan, I enjoy whatever is on my menu, with relish. The plan keeps me focused.

Today my plan says: "It's a DD, but it's okay if you balloon your cals up, because you're taking two friends from your youth out to lunch, and driving across Vermont and back to do so. 500 optimum; 800 good; 1000 acceptable. But you must stay LC." My plan also is to not mention to my friends that it's a DD; to see if I can do that. Not because I worry about their reaction, BTW, but because I'm such a blabbermouth, and I'd like to start cutting back on how much I talk about weight management with non-JB's.

I shall report back tonight and let y'all know how I did, 'cause I know you care!

Old 12-01-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Thank you Slow, I do hope your health issues start to improve soon.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
Thanks for the thread, Slow! Happy December everyone.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
p0rtia - Excellent plan and way to work JUDDD!

I was going to try to post in these monthly chats, but I was repeating in the chats what I was in the challenge thread. The challenge thread won. But being there's no December challenge thread just yet, here I am.

It dawned on me that I've been back on JUDDD for a month. Well, almost considering last week's cruise vacation was not on plan. But, I'm making it a goal to check in the forum after I get any necessities out of the way at work. My DDs are going great so far and have been relatively easy. Sticking to mainly low carb eating helps with that, for me anyway. Tomorrow will be two weeks since I've weighed and I'm already trying to be strong in my mind that even if the scale hasn't moved - or even got up due to last week - I won't let it derail me.

Gee, I think that might actually be an NSV. I think I'll post it there, too.

Have a great weekend everyone!

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Without a plan, i lose focus and get nervy and doubt myself, and, oddly enough, I don't enjoy eating. With a plan, I enjoy whatever is on my menu, with relish. The plan keeps me focused.
Ain't that the truth.

Well done Vanilla! Gosh I remember when we were both trying to make regular LC work, years and years ago. I was just floundering basically. So glad we're here now, on the right track.

I am having a very good Dec. 1st because I started at the gym (Curves) today!! I wrote about it in the November thread, but basically - this is a really big deal for me, you guys. I haven't been part of any sort of consistent fitness club/activity for about 6-7 years, just a ridiculous amount. It's a huge step - I went and paid 3 months upfront, and I had my first session. It was fine, I just felt a little like throwing up around the middle of the session, but sat down for 5 minutes and then was able to finish. And then I walked home (1 km). I'm hoping to go 4-5 times a week if I can. I am worried about DDs and the gym as I'm starting out, but know I'll figure it out. I'll look for old threads about working out on DDs.

Yesterday I had a good DD (about 550 cals) and went with DH to walk the dogs in the evening (3 kms - I think it's like 1.8 miles).

This week will only be 2 DDs for me because Sat and Sun will both be UDs, but still I think it's been a great week for me and I feel good.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Just a quick post to say hi! We are waiting to board our flight in Sarasota and head back to NY. It was a lovely visit and the weather was perfect! We went to the beach twice. Lido beach for those familiar with the area. Great shells the first day. I even found a perfect sand dollar. Iíll attach the picture. A picture of me and myself and DW can be found in my journal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F197C979-C74F-4E39-8B59-C1526750A3D5.jpg (32.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 7645B69D-BD64-4C86-90E4-F7DA28604391.jpg (34.5 KB, 11 views)

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
Carly, I love the way your hand makes a heart in that pic. Glad you had such a lovely vaca.

I agree with all about how the plan makes the food taste better.

I am going to spend this weekend really reflecting, planning and setting myself up for success and PEACE through this December and holiday season. With a good plan!
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Kissa

Bluebelle, I often work out empty. But as you are just starting out you may find it tough. Staying hydrated is so important. And being well hydrated before you work out is crucial. If you can manage a protein/higher fat breakfast I would recommend that rather than a carb/sugar based one. I don't know if you aim for LC DDs or not, but that might be the best option.

Nilla, that its definitely an NSV!

Carly, that is just beautiful, I am so glad you had a great time.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.

Last edited by Kissa; 12-01-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Old 12-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Carly - Cute shoes!!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Carly - Cute shoes!!
Oh, those are nothing! I have some serious shoe-age... those are just easy to pack, but thanks

Yes, Cindy, the trip has been lovely, but ready to be home now- minus the cold and dark. I donít even really mind going back to work on Monday.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/128/124
I hope DW has fully recovered from the flu and such. Looks to be the case! Florida will do that for ya!
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Happy December everyone. Lots of differnt holidays for everyone. Enjoy...

Thank you Slow for atarting the thread once again. Do hope you are feeling better.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #14
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
p0rtia - Excellent plan and way to work JUDDD!

I was going to try to post in these monthly chats, but I was repeating in the chats what I was in the challenge thread. The challenge thread won. But being there's no December challenge thread just yet, here I am.
Happy to report that I soared through the day with no hunger and no problems. Had a greek salad for lunch that was very light on the feta (about a tablespoon) and olives (four). No more than 200 cals (and that's aiming way high). Had a nice snack when I got home: 450 for the day and LC. Plus I never mentioned that it was a DD. Yay!

Challenge thread coming Monday! Hope to see you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
Ain't that the truth.
I'm slow sometimes. I like to plan, and I always have when dieting, but it never dawned on me how important it was to success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
I am having a very good Dec. 1st because I started at the gym (Curves) today!! I wrote about it in the November thread, but basically - this is a really big deal for me, you guys. I haven't been part of any sort of consistent fitness club/activity for about 6-7 years, just a ridiculous amount. It's a huge step - I went and paid 3 months upfront, and I had my first session. It was fine, I just felt a little like throwing up around the middle of the session, but sat down for 5 minutes and then was able to finish. And then I walked home (1 km). I'm hoping to go 4-5 times a week if I can. I am worried about DDs and the gym as I'm starting out, but know I'll figure it out.
This is wonderful to hear. Congratulations! We talk every now and then about exercise on DDs. The consensus seems to be that there's no reason not to exercise to your heart's content on DDs. I throw in my experience with playing tennis for two plus hours in the heat of Florida on DDs. If you consistently run into light-headed/nausea problems, so be it--everyone is different--but I'm confident it will work out too. It's not like you're on day three of a water fast. So good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Just a quick post to say hi! We are waiting to board our flight in Sarasota and head back to NY. It was a lovely visit and the weather was perfect! We went to the beach twice. Lido beach for those familiar with the area. Great shells the first day. I even found a perfect sand dollar. Iíll attach the picture. A picture of me and myself and DW can be found in my journal.
Wow! That sand dollar is a wonder. Very good luck, too. Hope you made it home safe.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #15
Kissa

We drove back to London today and I look forward to my 'kind' scales. It isn't even a pound different but I am silly about it, lol.

Well the 'season' is well and truly upon us. I have to order the bird and a ham, I have prepared one stuffing and frozen it. The larder is pretty well stocked and the wine has been purchased (that is DH's department).

I love so many of us are feeling in control this year. I have had an astonishingly calm year weight wise. I have to remind myself that I look better between 119 and 123 than I did at 117. At my age the face counts more that my backside.

Looking forward to the new Challenge thread p0rtia.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
I hope DW has fully recovered from the flu and such. Looks to be the case! Florida will do that for ya!
Yes! Florida will do that. She is much better. She still needs insulin which was not expected and she still tires more easily than normal, but feels ready to return to work on Monday. That will be the real test. She has a desk job, but it will be more activity than she has done in over 3 weeks.

Itís cold in NY... brrrrrr

Old 12-03-2017, 02:59 AM   #17
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

tbh, Carly, it looks like DW is convalescing and is rallying well after a relaxing time with you. The convalescent look is hardly surprising after everything the two of you have been through in recent weeks. I'm sorry that she has to continue the insulin and hope that she stays clear of any secondary problems as she has plenty of health issues to contend with already.

DW's fatigue is to be expected tho' it's good that while she was in hospital she probably had her vitamin and mineral status monitored (e.g., iron/ferritin, vitamins B12 and D, folate etc.)? It's sometimes surprising what a difference a few points makes to fatigue when people have several chronic conditions and are older.

Last edited by SlowSure; 12-03-2017 at 03:02 AM..
Old 12-03-2017, 03:16 AM   #18
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you all again for your good wishes. I'm having a substantial problem with fatigue at present and it seems to be part and parcel of the auto-immune arthritis. It's not helped by the on-going difficulty in raising my vitamin D level above the 'severe deficiency' category. (To put this into US units, I'm usually <8ug/L so I feel better if I manage to increase it to 12ug/L).

It's difficult for me to supplement above a particular level as I react to vitamin D in similar ways that I do to aspirin and NSAIDs (increased tinnitus and it can interfere with my balance etc.). This might also be related to a rare genetic disorder that I have that I managed very well for decades but is now becoming a little trickier, in part, because it is something with a systemic influence.

I'm sure this is just a bump in the road and I know that overall my health is excellent so these are relatively minor issues. But the fatigue, in conjunction with the auto-immune nuisances, and on-going sleep issues is making everything seem like wading through the proverbial molasses.

I think that I need a holiday somewhere sunny where I won't burn my very fair skin and I can eat lots of oily fish.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #19
Carly

Quote:
tbh, Carly, it looks like DW is convalescing and is rallying well after a relaxing time with you. The convalescent look is hardly surprising after everything the two of you have been through in recent weeks. I'm sorry that she has to continue the insulin and hope that she stays clear of any secondary problems as she has plenty of health issues to contend with already.

DW's fatigue is to be expected tho' it's good that while she was in hospital she probably had her vitamin and mineral status monitored (e.g., iron/ferritin, vitamins B12 and D, folate etc.)? It's sometimes surprising what a difference a few points makes to fatigue when people have several chronic conditions and are older.
Her PCP said she will likely be tired for a couple months!!!! But the fatigue is improving. Yes, her blood levels were closely monitored in the hospital.

Quote:
Thank you all again for your good wishes. I'm having a substantial problem with fatigue at present and it seems to be part and parcel of the auto-immune arthritis. It's not helped by the on-going difficulty in raising my vitamin D level above the 'severe deficiency' category. (To put this into US units, I'm usually <8ug/L so I feel better if I manage to increase it to 12ug/L).

It's difficult for me to supplement above a particular level as I react to vitamin D in similar ways that I do to aspirin and NSAIDs (increased tinnitus and it can interfere with my balance etc.). This might also be related to a rare genetic disorder that I have that I managed very well for decades but is now becoming a little trickier, in part, because it is something with a systemic influence.

I'm sure this is just a bump in the road and I know that overall my health is excellent so these are relatively minor issues. But the fatigue, in conjunction with the auto-immune nuisances, and on-going sleep issues is making everything seem like wading through the proverbial molasses.

I think that I need a holiday somewhere sunny where I won't burn my very fair skin and I can eat lots of oily fish.
DW and I are often deficient in vitamin D. DW has been given rx vitamin D on a few occasions, but recently we have managed ours with 2000 units a day during the summer and 5000 units during the winter. That reminds me that I need to switch ours over to the 5000 now.

I'm so sorry you are struggling like you are. Fatigue is just dreadful and not easy when you are working commuting and just trying to keep life's tasks above water.

I have very fair skin, being a strawberry blonde, so I use SPF 50 when out in the sun- especially at the beach!!!! I only got a tiny little burn in a small spot on my back where DW didn't get enough lotion.

I strongly recommend the keys on the Gulf Coast of Florida if you are really considering a sunny, warm vacation. Let me know if you want more info

Old 12-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
Kissa

Carly, I hope you supplement with Vitamin K2 when you take your Vitamin D. Very important to keep calcium in our bones where it belongs.

Slow, it sounds to me as if you need to go to Pioppi. I am assuming you have seen/read The Pioppi diet?

Old 12-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #21
Kissa

Great Zumba class this morning and the scales were in the teens, all is well with my world.

Hope everyone else is having good day too.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #22
erinisme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 183/166.8/140
WOE: ADF
Start Date: 11/28/17
on 4th DD back on it. wasn't feeling it this morning. doing the take it one moment at a time. ( when I think of the whole day I just want to quit). So stopped by here and now I feel determined. Thanks Guys.
Bluebell: I work out on DDs. Sometimes it helps with hunger, for me. Probably just keeping me distracted for couple of hours
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #23
Carly

First day back at work has been busy. I read over 300 emails and still have 160 to go (I checked email twice a day the whole time I was off- it would have been WAY worse if I hadn't).

I have a 3:15pm meeting- I hate those!!!!! I've been here since 6:45am!!!!

Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
Kissa

Your work life exhausts me Carly, and I am only reading about it!

I have given up taking me Statins and saw my GP for the first time since this evening, I was expect a dressing down and a battle royal. But this happened. (Excuse the copy and past.)

Back from my GPs surgery.

He was brilliant and totally understood my point of view.

Accepted my concerns about taking drugs unnecessarily and possible future drug interaction problems. He agreed that there are currently conflicting points of view out there. Also agreed that the LDL is less of an issue than previously thought, especially as my Triglycerides are so low.

He has arranged for full bloodworks including Thyroid and Diabetes, although he was certain I didn't have those problems. He was a little surprised that I stopped them in July.
He did say that we should check again in a few months and that if 'we' felt I should go back on them he would change to a 'better' one. That's not happening, but still a fair comment.

He has also change the only other drug I am on to what he believes is a better one. My faith in the practice has definitely risen.

I am home and celebrating with a glass of wine.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #25
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/128/124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Carly, I hope you supplement with Vitamin K2 when you take your Vitamin D. Very important to keep calcium in our bones where it belongs.

Slow, it sounds to me as if you need to go to Pioppi. I am assuming you have seen/read The Pioppi diet?
Love this Kissa. I watched the Big Fat Fix last year, and April - May I was living off of tomatoes, olives, roasted veg and eggs - all drenched in good quality Italian olive oil I get from Aldi. The pains in my shoulders were gone. I was eating 3 tablespoons a day. I need to get back to that, but right now life is hectic. I think in January when things slow down again, I'll try to get back to that.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #26
healthnut
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthnut
Stats: 195/167.5/healthy -- 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1998
Hello - I am relatively new to JUDDD. I started it (after a quick read of the website) in March of 2016, lost 30 lbs over the course of 3 months and then decided to take a break for a few months. Well, it's been a year and a half and I recently decided to resume JUDDD. BTW I did manage to maintain the 30 lb weight loss! I still have 30 lbs to lose and I'm ready to do it.
I've been low carbing for a long time and I enjoy the low carb lifestyle. My issue is portion control. I have found that DDs are strangely easy for me because of the programmed way I do them--always the same foods, very little variety and very low carb. I recently bought the Johnson book and am enjoying learning the details of his discovery. I am also enjoying reading about all of your experiences here at LCF. So motivating!
healthnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #27
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
That Pioppi sounds amazing, minus eggs drenched in olive oil

So far no DDs this week. But I did go to the gym and for a mile-long walk home afterwards today. I also worked out on Saturday.

I need to figure my stuff out. It's tough because I just re-started JUDDD after months of not really adhering consistently, and am also starting to go to the gym after YEARS of not doing anything. I don't know if I should do some moderate calorie thing for the time being until I get used to working out again. My main issue is that I want to be able to go the gym any day for the time being, not just on UDs. I don't know! So confused.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #28
Kissa

Work out on empty Bluebelle... it'll fine.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #29
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
I know I said I wasn't going to post here, but ...

Kissa, that's fabulous about your doctor visit. Oh, and I've taken to saying your siggy in my head if the hungries come on a DD.

Bluebelle, agree with Kissa. I used to exercise on DDs and never had a problem.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #30
Kissa

Ha, ha, yes, Nilla, I sometimes forget what I wrote in my siggy.

Now that I do more fasting I know how true the healing part is. Dr Johnson was there before Jason Fung! And hunger really isn't an emergency is it? We all tend to snack too much.

I was delighted to see I was under 120 again this morning. I do like seeing the teens.